Just started to study for August?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Glucose

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
n e one just start studying for the August MCAT?
How's it going?

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't just started, but still have a lot to do in the next 2 weeks. I have been taking Physics (somewhat intense) all summer, and working, so it has been tough to balance coursework with MCAT studying. Tomorrow is my Physics final, so I figure I have 2 weeks of hardcore studying to prepare for the big day.
Anyone else been in a similar situation (and still done alright on the exam)?
I guess I am just looking for some encouraging posts that say "Yeah, two weeks is plenty of time." Believe me, I realize this is not the case.

Yeah I'm in the same boat as you. I've been doing research all summer and it was kinda hard to study at nights (and complete stupid AMCAS), so I still have a lot left to do. Like you, I was hoping for someone to say that 2 weeks was plenty of time and that they did it and still scored great :( :)
Good luck!!!
BTW: Are your practice scores to your liking. Mine are horrid. I'm using EK and I know their questions are supposedly harder but I'm discouraged that my scores on the different sections have yet to enter the wonderful world of double digits.
I'm beginning to get really nervous and need encouragement bad :(

Glucose,
I replied via a private message.
JMD

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been studying for awhile but when I do those practices in the back of the EK books (like you glucose) I FEEL like I just started studying. Ouch. They say that they are supposed to be hard, but where exactly is the line between hard and demeaning?!?

Two weeks is enough, let's do it!!

CoffeeCat I know!! Those EK exams blow the wind out of your sails don't they?
Don't worry we can do it...JMD, CoffeeCat let's march towards MCAT success lol:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

As a fellow August MCATer I wish you all the best of luck.
I personally work much better under pressure, so if any of you are like me, let's just turn up the juice over the next two weeks.

I plan on doing all the AAMC practice items, tests 2-6 (already did 1 last weekend) and a full repetition of all topics in the AAMC outline.

I think its more important to review everything a few times quickly, filling in with more detail each time instead of slowly chugging away over months at a time (assuming you are familiar with everything from your prereq courses). I just finished Physics and Chemistry in 4 days and it stays fresh in your head.

just my .02:)

Like Mike59, I also usually perform well under pressure, in other words cramming. It is just there isn't usually this much S#%$ to cram in my brain. I am hoping your philosophy works for me though.

Good luck to all of my fellow procrastinators!

Not to be a party pooper, but I'm not sure how well "skimming" over details will work on the MCAT. But as long as you are well informed about the concepts behind the formulas, and have all of those relevant formulas memorized, then more power to you. I plan on turning up the heat as well these last 2 weeks, doing a lot of tests, topical tests, practice tests, and going over all relevant formulas and concepts as well....Good luck!

Originally posted by turk00
Not to be a party pooper, but I'm not sure how well "skimming" over details will work on the MCAT. But as long as you are well informed about the concepts behind the formulas, and have all of those relevant formulas memorized, then more power to you.

I agree. A 2 week cramfest is best designed for people who can open up the AAMC MCAT student manual and basically say "been there, done all of that in my courses. Now its just a matter of refreshing and learning to apply the principles."

For those of you just getting started, I highly recommend AAMC practice items. They really give you a good feel of analytic applications of the basic sciences which will make up a bulk of the MCAT. I have copies of Kaplan/Princeton exams and they focus way way too much on recall, which is fine 3 months before the test, but a total waste of time right now.

Good luck to all, lets kick the crap out of this August's MCAT! :mad: :D

I have copies of Kaplan/Princeton exams and they focus way way too much on recall, which is fine 3 months before the test, but a total waste of time right now.

I disagree. Even if these tests did emphasize factual recall, it would still be a good way of testing your grasp of important concepts. Most of the Kaplan materials I have encountered have had a fair share of factual (or conceptual) recall coupled with strictly passage based reading comprehension. I find it to be helpful nonetheless--but I do totally agree you with in taking the AAMC practice tests...the best way to attain a 'feel' for the test is by the testmakers themselves. Good luck everyone, make mom proud.

How's everyone doing? I finally had a great study day yesterday after a few days of frustration...maybe it's all of this positive energy :)

That's great CoffeeCat!! I hope today's a good study day for me :):clap:

unfortunately, today's a work day for me :( i just can't seem to study effectively. i'm so sick of this and cannot wait for it to be over. i don't seem to have the drive i used to have back in college. i keep saying things like "i don't care about physics" to myself or "i don't want to learn this for the test b/c i'm going to forget it a week later anyway".

the MCAT is a mental marathon. If you are alrady in good shape (here , mentally) you just have to work at putting the running, swimming and biking (V,P,B) peices of the marathon together.

Luckily I was in good shape, also taking physics and Biochem the summer before. I studied 3 weeks, the final week drilling w/ full lengths alongside 3 other August MCATers. That last week is what pushed me over 30, no doubt about it
Aug 2000 9V, 11, 11

Originally posted by USeF
the MCAT is a mental marathon. If you are alrady in good shape (here , mentally) you just have to work at putting the running, swimming and biking (V,P,B) peices of the marathon together.

Don't mix metaphors like this in the writing section!

USeF,
How did you carry out this quizzing/grilling section?
just curious about what you did that last week to do a good review/refresher before the test....
15 days and life to go!
Good luck all!

Originally posted by lola
unfortunately, today's a work day for me :( i just can't seem to study effectively. i'm so sick of this and cannot wait for it to be over. i don't seem to have the drive i used to have back in college. i keep saying things like "i don't care about physics" to myself or "i don't want to learn this for the test b/c i'm going to forget it a week later anyway".

Hey, here's a better (more motivating) way to think about studying: it's a chance to prove yourself and hey if you don't learn the physics now, you might have to attempt again for april! Don't put yourself though it twice. Okay, I'm getting off of the soapbox and returning to the desk :)

well, there's pretty much no way i'm taking it again in april, unless i don't get in anywhere this year! thank god. i never want to deal with this silly test again. hopefully in the next week or so the adrenaline will set in to give me some motivation.

Glucose:

I did some of the AAMC practice items today and they lifted my spirits after the EK practice tests...you should try it! I'm not sure if they're supposed to be easier/harder than the real deal but it's written by the same company and I did well so I'm happy :)

Originally posted by fuzzwinkle11
USeF,
How did you carry out this quizzing/grilling section?
just curious about what you did that last week to do a good review/refresher before the test....
15 days and life to go!
Good luck all!

we woke up at 8am (get in shape for the big day) every day and did the verbal section. We were all science majors, so that's what we ALL needed the most work on. After that we'd do either BS or PS section and hit up lunch. After lunch we'd go over the Science section we did and take the afternoon off to play ball, tennis etc..
In the evenings we got together and picked a science subject to drill. What was great for us was that atleat one person was strong in each subject [chem, physics, bio, orgo] so they'd do the quizzing and the one weakest in that section had to get a certain # in a row right. If they messed up, they kept going til they did. This helped me TREMENDOUSLY in Bio. They were friends, so they were even harder on me- what are friends for? :D

One of the days we just did a full exam (writing included, but didn't really grade it- just read each others and made breif comments) and no night time review. Really it depends what you guys feel you get the most 'bang for your hour' in that final week.

good luck to all of you. get focused and drive straight ahead (extra methaphors for Diogenes)

hey all...
just started studying today...

12 days of hardcore studying... 18 hours a day... no prob.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

i think im screwed....

i'm away on vacation this week visiting my brother in fort lauderdale.... so i've been studying about 6 hours a day while he's at work. other than that, i've been studying a little at home throughout the past couple of weeks, but nothing extensive. i know i have a lot of work to do in the next two weeks...

when i took the mcat in april i studied my butt off every day for two months before the test and i got so sick of it by the end that i couldn't study for the last two weeks before the test. i think that's one of the things that messed me up... like some of you guys were saying, i definitely work best when i "cram" and have everything relatively fresh in my mind.

and the other thing was that i was so stressed out when i took the april test that i ruined myself. at least now it's summer and i am more relaxed, which i think will be better.

one of my best friends took the aug 2001 mcat while her younger brother was in the hospital, two weeks after her boyfriend of two years broke up with her, and she was in the middle of a nervous breakdown... and she got a 29.

i guess it's different for everyone. i'm just glad i'm not as stressed as i was in april... i think i totally psyched myself out.

anyway, good luck to everyone on the 17th... i'll be there with you. :)