just take a look .....sorry

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by MSc44, Nov 23, 2005.

1. ok so im gonna appolagize now for this post cause im sure u have seen it a million times brfore, but i have never posted one like this so here it gows:

Medicine is my calling i have decided that i want a DO degree
    my numbers are as followed
    UG 3.7 with straight A's in all bio classes and orgo (B+'s in physics and gen chem)

will be completing a MS in MOlecular cell biology in may With straight A's provided i get an A in my last semester of research

Im now studying for my mcats and im becomming my own worse enemy i was never good at these types of exams so although i should not jump the gun and under shoot myself i dont feel a great outcome to this exam. I am from Ny and would like to attend NYCOM or any other DO school i can get accepted too
    So my question to you who have done it, with these numbers which many have told me are above average for DO schools (why i dont know) what would u guys say the lowest possible score would be to get accepted......i know its more the whole person , but im talking about what type of score would not make them throw out my application ( obviously with t he exception of high 20's

thanks all

2. dr.z

Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I would say 26 or over to be safe.

3. Use the mdapplicants website to give yourself an estimate if you must have one. If you hit 30 or above you'll be likely to get scholarships with that GPA.

4. djnels01

djnels01 "You're the man now dog!"
    Physician 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You'll be fine with a 24, maybe even a 23. You will improve your chances by scoring higher (obviously) but a 24 is an average score for a lot of schools and you'd be fine with your GPA. Don't feel like you need to get a 30+

5. Non-Trad DO

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    :) I would tend to agree with djnels01 though I got 23 and had to do a year of post-bacc I was late applying. So its important to get those apps in early because most schools have rolling admissions.

6. NTM

NTM Member
    7+ Year Member

you can get into med school with a 23????? WHERE?

7. OSUdoc08

OSUdoc08 Membership Revoked
    Removed

Medical Student
    Probably about half of the DO schools.

8. raspberry swirl

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    my friend got a 21 on the mcat (second try, if im not mistaken). he was waitlisted and got accepted during orientation and had 24 hours to pack up his life and get his butt to med school. i got a 30 on the mcat. we both got similar grades during 1st and 2nd year. he did a little better grade-wise, i did a little better on comlex. who knows. mcat's a crapshoot anyway.

9. Non-Trad DO

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    LECOM after a year of post-bacc. thats where. They get to see your stuff. It also shows you that the mcat not only is a crap-shoot but crap and doesn't what they claim "...people who do well on our exam do well in med school and everyone else is a ******..." There are quit a few people who did as much as 10 points better than I did and took two tries to pass step 1. So if you scored well be confident you'll do well but don't let a number screw you on boards.

10. hyperbaric

hyperbaric Cool under pressure.
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician

...the troll.

11. Doctor Bagel

Doctor Bagel so cheap and juicy
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    why are you assuming right now that you're going to do poorly on the mcat? it's still several months away, leaving you lots of time to study. also, the average mcat is nycom is around 24, so if you hit that mark, you're probably good to go.

i'm getting the impression that english is your second language, which will make the mcat harder. my biggest advice between now and then is to read a ton. read good books and high quality magazines (you know, new yorker, atlantic monthly, etc). also, work on conquering that test fear.

12. LOL. No, actually im 100% american from Nassau County NY. My spelling and grammer tends to suck cause i never really worked at it when i was younger i suppose. Since 9th grade i took as few english classes as possible cause i hated them. You just made me realize that its fascinating how someone with a high GPA in bio and chem and a graduate degree in MCB can have such horriable grammer and spelling

thanks for the concern though :D
    have a good day

13. OSUdoc08

OSUdoc08 Membership Revoked
    Removed

Medical Student
    If I were you, I'd take a prep class or get a tutor for the verbal section of the MCAT, since this is the first section med schools look at.

14. thats what im doing buddy...trust me its not as bad as my previous post made it out to be