Just took it - advice and reflections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nrosigh

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I finished it today. In short, it felt just like “Block 5” of NBME, with about 4-5 questions per block that I thought were more specific and harder than the NBME questions. In reading people’s postings about how terrible it was, I got a little bit intimidated. But for all of you that have not yet taken the test yet, I can assure you that it is very similar to the 4 NBME’s online.

In terms of difficulty, I initially marked an average of 7-8 per block. I finished going through each block one time consistently in about 35 minutes, and then spent another 10 minutes reading each question a second time. The second time through I became much more confident of my answers, and was able to reason through about 3-4 of the marked questions. I felt like I knew the answers to more than two thirds of the questions right away, but even so, I was surprised at how specific some questions were. There were hardly any calculations more complex than dividing by 2 or multiplying by 10, even though they did ask you to set up some simple epidemiology equations.

Statistically, I think that there is a MUCH wider variation in people’s preparation for this exam than there is in the difficulty of distribution between exams. If there are 350 questions, I seriously doubt that one test taker will get an average of 350 difficult questions, and a person sitting next to him will get 350 easier questions. The moral of the story: don’t let people’s postings of “the test was impossible, I must have gotten a really hard form!” get to you. There is a linear relationship between how prepared you are and how difficult the exam feels. That's not to say it's not a hard test, because it definitely does have its challenging parts, but the point I'm trying to make is that you shouldn't get too anxious about it.

Logistically, the most irritating thing was how much the screen flickered. Bring ibuprofen if your eyes are sensitive. At home, I have a 20” flat screen monitor that I did all my practice exams on. The test center had a 17” CRT that was set to too high a resolution so everything was small and flickery. It ended up not bothering my eyes as much as I thought it would initially – probably because I took a prophylactic ibuprofen halfway through. I took a 5-10 minute break after each section to take a couple sips of water and eat a few bites of a sandwich or energy bar. I was surprised that I did not find myself getting hungry at all. The entire exam including breaks took a shade under 7 hours.

The best advice I can give in terms of preparation is to take ALL FOUR NBME’s and carefully go over and research every question. True, this is a daunting task, but in terms of time spent, it is much more useful than QBank. I actually have a serious bone to pick with QBank. I feel that the questions are way too minutia-oriented. I completed QBank, and in taking Step 1, I recognized exactly *one* question out of 350 that was similar to a QBank minutia-question. In contrast, I had about 5-10 questions *per block* that were extremely similar to the NBME questions. Two questions were practically identical. The range of content was also very similar: I had many pneumothoraxes, hydronephroses, hypocalcemias, 8-hour histories of crushing substernal pain radiating to the jaw, etc.

It’s a very weird test. Many of the questions require that you add a little sprinking of common sense and intuition to the vast amount of facts that we memorize. There were probably about 2-3 questions in the entire exam that I would have felt more confident on if I had First Aid in front of me, and about 10-15 questions in the entire exam that I would have liked to look stuff up online or in more substantial reference books. The rest that I was unsure of were just weird. Specifically, the cell biology was straightforward, but very specific.

Speaking about First Aid, this is a great resource, but it’s not perfect. As p53 mentioned, after doing the NBME exams, certain factoids in FA just jumped out at me. However, there is still A LOT of info in FA that is probably too trivial to be memorized, like all the hyperspecific details of branchial clefts/arches/pouches (but definitely know what an absence of pouches 3 and 4 will do!), memorizing the different M1-M7 of leukemias, etc. There are also many mistakes in the 2005 edition (I don’t know about 2006).

If I get a good score I will post my study methods, but a study guide without a final score is generally worthless.

Good luck everyone – staying focused and calm is much more important than memorizing minutia. If you study a week of minutia you will get just a couple extra points. If you take a step back and try to take apart the logic behind the NBME questions you will gain much more.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for that encouraging and helpful post!!

Congratulations on finishing, NRo. While I found a lot of your points valid, I have to point out that your experience is just another single experience. To say that there are simply no hard or easy forms because you found yours to be balanced is to be guilty of the same thing that you are accusing other people of. Furthermore, these are the observations of a person who achieved a perfect score on the NBME exam... it stands to reason that you would find the exam to be fair.

But think about this: if YOU found it to be of moderate difficulty, how do you think people who scored two standard deviations below you on the NBME (and still received a very respectable score) feel? Or those that were scoring below average?

Again, congratulations, but I think that your post should be taken with a grain of salt, as you seem to be a freakishly intelligent aberration from the norm.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on finishing!

I agree that doing the NBME examinations is a priority and that there is overlap between the content of those exams and that which you will encounter on the day of your exam. It is a shame that official answers are not available for the practice exams.

Many of the questions were closer to QBANK than I had anticipated, but there is an obvious advantage of preparing with questions that have been released by the test writers. I was not a particular fan of QBANK, but in retrospect, I should have made it more of a priority. I also regret the missed opportunity of every NBME released question that I had not answered or that I had answered but not researched.

I'll add my name to the long list of people who believe that first aid HANDS you some of the answers. It is like having Vikas whispering them in your ear. There are some other, stand-out authors, who seem to know what is going to be asked. Fix's HY Neuro has everything. I did not like that book the first time I read it. I was smart to pick it up again and give it another chance. Goljan is obviously a huge help. Being able to play odds on a disease is uniquivocally high yield, big time! Mechanisms! Mechanisms! And furthermore, caspasases! Rapid Review pathology and biochemistry are great and the questions are helpful. Some of Costanzo's BRS questions appeared almost word for word. She is the authority on board physiology. If there is one author who saved my buttocks today, it was Dudek. HY Cell and Molec comes right after first aid in terms of importance. HY Histo is a tremendous help with excellent pictures and the HY anatomy and embryology books offer some hope for lower yielded, yet somewhat unwieldily subjects.

I thought the exam content varied tremendously between blocks. My first block was a horror show, and a few of the subsequent blocks seemed less challenging than the NBME released items. Block five was horrendous and the remaining blocks were on par with the NBME released items. I will have to say, however, that caffeine took blocks six and seven for me and there's no telling how he performed on them. My final question was essentially "can you divide 6,000 by 100?" and I could not figure out why 600 was not listed among the answer options. In other words, prepare for fatigue and brain farts. The test is long.

nrosigh is obviously extremely intelligent, even by many of our new-found standards, so it is no wonder (really no kidding) that nrosigh had such a good experience. An easy question by nrosigh standards may not be easy for everyone, even if all you really need to know to answer it is a few facts from first aid and a four hundred eighty IQ... ha ha! Seriously, performance is probably a reflection of preparation AND natural gift. That said, I can certainly understand how the NBME practice assessment is predictive of success on the exam, seeing that all but two or three blocks felt like "NBME Block Five," so I whole-heartedly agree that if you are doing well on the NBME... then you have every reason to feel confident going into this thing. If you consistently scored 9000s on the nbme assessments, the test will be more-or-less the same. Humans, however, may find some questions more challenging than others (ha ha, just kidding with ya!) It is not a walk in the park and dumb luck goes a long way in determining which questions you get, but don't kid yourself about "I think I failed" when you've gotten good marks on the practice assessments. Most people do about the same on the real deal. I hope I did. Hell, I hope I got a 280. Bet you I didn't!

Lastly, very intelligent people give very intelligent advice, so I appreciate people like nrosigh taking the time to detail their experiences. I don't claim to be one among them, but I hope to have supplemented his/her post with what I consider a down to earth interpretation of my own experience. Best of luck to everyone and congratulations to those who have finished!

NroSigh Rocks :thumbup:

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions and giving feedback.

Yeah, I finished QBank about 1 month before the exam, I took about 50 pages of notes too (I guess I am a little crazy). I don't know how much mulling I did, even though that word makes me in the mood for apple cider. QBank can be a good learning tool, but I think I wasted too much time worrying about the microscopic details.

Oh, but you want to hear something funny? I actually had Taussig-Bing appear as a distractor on my boards! Go figure.

seansoutherland said:
Did you finish q-bank and mull over your incorrect answers, nrosigh?

Psychopathology - thanks for your insightful comments. But I want to clarify one thing - I'm just a normal person that studied very hard. It's not like I have a photographic memory or anything. I also started studying for boards seriously around spring break, which definitely helped!

Psychopathology said:
Congrats on finishing!

Another question: what approach did you use, nrosigh, in dissecting the NBME's? I have read of someone using the printscreen function. I assume you used the tutorial mode, which would give you more time to peruse everything. Did you make sure that you knew the answer and moved on? Or did you look up the answer right then and there and kept a record of the concepts pertinent to each question? Lastly, how long did it take you to do this for all four exams?

Sorry for all of the questions. After reading your approach, it seems like a novel and more productive method.

seansoutherland said:
Another question: what approach did you use, nrosigh, in dissecting the NBME's? I have read of someone using the printscreen function. I assume you used the tutorial mode, which would give you more time to peruse everything. Did you make sure that you knew the answer and moved on? Or did you look up the answer right then and there and kept a record of the concepts pertinent to each question? Lastly, how long did it take you to do this for all four exams?

Sorry for all of the questions. After reading your approach, it seems like a novel and more productive method.

I second these questions. It'd be very helpful to know how best to make use of the NBME ?s

nrosigh... your exam experience/thoughts EXACTLY mirror my thoughts (esp about researching answers to NBME practice questions)... hope you did well!

thank you very much for your very insightful experience?..was wondering if you could help me on a source for a last minute quick neuro review..i was told step-up neuro section is very good so i was planning on doing that and supplementing it with the FA neuro section..thanks for any insight..and good luck..im sure you busted that 99..

Hey josephmedman - I'm actually very lucky in that I felt like I didn't neet to review much for neuro at all. In addition to FA, I spent about an hour with HY Neuro.

High-yield areas are:
1) Anterior vs middle vs posterior cerebral artery territories
2) What posterior columns do and that cuneatus is lateral while gracilis is medial (this is in FA)
3) Cranial nerves
4) brodmans vs wernicke's

I thought that FA was generally pretty good - make sure you know that first.

Good luck!

josephmedman said:
thank you very much for your very insightful experience?..was wondering if you could help me on a source for a last minute quick neuro review..i was told step-up neuro section is very good so i was planning on doing that and supplementing it with the FA neuro section..thanks for any insight..and good luck..im sure you busted that 99..

Members don't see this ad :)
This program is really cool: www.snagit.com

It lets you take screenshots and have them be automatically saved and numbered.

The first couple of NBMEs took about a full day each to go through. I found that the 3rd and 4th ones I was able to knock off in a day for both of them, probably because there were so many repeated themes and less questions that I was unsure about by then.

Good luck!

seansoutherland said:

Hi all,
Been a lurker, and semi poster. Just wanted to post in return for all the great advice I've gotten from SDN during the 2nd year of med school.

I thought cramming in a 1/2 review of BIOchem the day before really helped. I was suprised I had two questions on the fat pathway and ALA synthase and such. Also it's KEY to memorize receptor mechanims. Look in BRS Physio for the list of which hormone activates what kind of receptor system. I don't think you need to memorize the table in 1st Aid, but u need to know which increase cAMP, which activates tyrosine kinases etc it's a small table in BRS Phys. Also viral drug mechanisms were repeated on the exam. And Stupid Fungal Drugs killed me, I thougt...nahh they won't ask it cos they hardly do on Qbank, but they do! Molecular was definitely stressed, don't be surprised by how basic lab science based it was. It was all over the place.

NBME test are the way to go. Style is so much more like the real test than Qbank and you can learn a lot. I'm glad I didn't do the rest of my Qbank 9% left, and instead went over NBME and then reviewed each subject with that style in mind. I think it's because the board questions have so much made up scenarios, instead of giving you the typical clinical vignette for the disease. If they do give you the vignette, they'll usually give you the disease name and ask a sidebar question.

Please sleep well before. The test is greuling, and I'm glad I had adequate coffee, crunch bars, a good lunch, vitawater to go with it. Don't let fatigue bring down your score. It's definitely more of a factor than memorizing another 2 more hours worth of 1st Aid.

1st Aid definitely save me on some embryo, and anatomy questions. Know the renal vein and testicular vein connection.

I second that BRS Behavorial Science is great.

Also if I had more time, i would have finished reviewing, and then just sat down and listen to the entire Goljan series during the day before. His questions and scenarios are verbatim to what is on the boards. And he gets you the hard ones right too!! I only listened to 2 of the hepatobiliary lecture the night before and got 2 tough questions right. These are the type of question you would in NO WAY ever get right, by yourself reviewing.

Neuro by Fix was good, read his notes in the beginning on what he recommends to focus on. That helped, so I didn't feel like I had to read the whole book again.

So in order of importance:
Long term, you really had to know these by studying well during 2nd year: BRS Pathology, BRS Physiology w/ more Kaplan Physio (cos it's more pathophysio), Clinical Microbio MRS with Lange btw, loved Lange Immuno section (though most of what I remember on the test for Micro was in 1st AID), Cardio and Psych Drugs

Medium term learning:
Kaplan BIOCHEM, read the WHOLE book, even the Genetics Chapter, Killer.
BRS Behavioral Science, do the questions they are fun kinda.
Kaplan Neuroanatomy, just really know the tracks, I think they do a better job of that than Fix. And of course FIX, but concentration on the important sections must knows, he tells u this in the intro. Also know how to read MRI of brain anatomy, Q bank has good Qs with Pics on that.
Blue boxes in Moore very helpful for stuff 1st Aid doesn't cover well, like ARM breaks and Leg pathology. Most anatomy is very clinically based. Make sure you look at Xrays. Especially of the hand, and know what common injuries are there.

Short term cram:
Other Drugs in 1st Aid (though I had drugs I never heard about, oh well)
Review Biochem Pathways, Memorize Micro in 1st Aid

Best of Luck Everyone,
Charles

nrosigh said:
High-yield areas are:
1) Anterior vs middle vs posterior cerebral artery territories
2) What posterior columns do and that cuneatus is lateral while gracilis is medial (this is in FA)
3) Cranial nerves
4) brodmans vs wernicke's

I concur

I just took the test yesterday, as well. I wont give specific advice just yet b/c I dont know my score, but I'll just leave you with some of my impressions.

Overall, the test was doable. I felt the challenge in the test was how "thinking" oriented it was vs. random minutiae. They were more along the lines of the NBME tests than anything else. I actually had 3-4 questions exactly from the previous nbme tests.

Time was a factor for me more on the real thing than anything else I've taken. I dont think it was just b/c I was being overcautious, but I also believe they really make you think through their questions which take time. The free standing questions w/ no cases are usually ok, but sometimes they throw in their random trivia, but like I said, I didnt think their was too much of that.

For those of you Goljanites out there, I used Goljan in my prep and I am glad I did. While I only probably got 5 or so questions straight from him, his aid comes most in preparing you in how they present this exam: "mechanisms, how things work, putting things together." For physio for example, they'll give you a scenario and ask about changes in hormones, acid base, O2 content/pressure/percent sat, things like that, and give you up/down arrows or graphs. These would be ok but they give you every different combination u could think of, so you either know it or dont (and usually it comes down to knowing 4 out of the 5 variables and if u dont know the last one, ur screwed).

Because this test is so thinking oriented, I did not feel that qbank was that great of a prep tool. While u still have to know the facts for the test, nbme takes it to secondary/tertiary reasoning. I felt that qbank asked the same questions over and over, and was way more esoteric. The advice I have about qbank is: do it, but use it more in HOW you build your reasoning skills, and not in memorizing stupid FAB classifications or stuff like that. I dont think finishing qbank is necessary also.

Regarding some of the questions on the exam, I noticed some of them were very real-life oriented, in the respect of: they'll give you a case presenting the chief complaint, family hx, all the drugs their on, all their symptoms, and then u ask you a question. The challenge for me in this was that you had to analyze their complete history to answer the question and sort b/w the distractors and the punch line.

Subject overview:

Behavioral sciences/stats: This was not too bad. I felt the biostats was fine and their "what would u do" questions. Although some of them I thought could go either way, but I'm sure everyone feels that way.

Biochem: Not too much, I thought FA sufficed in knowing the basic rate limiting steps, basic pathways, etc.

Molecular/Cellular: I was quite anxious about this going in. I used the HY book. To much of my prep, I dont think I had much of this, but I still think preparation is necessary as each test is variable. HY will get the job done, especially if you know nothing about this stuff. (like I did)

Embryo: I remember very very few questions on this.

Anatomy: These questions were either u know it or dont. Even if I memorized HY anatomy, I am not sure if I would have got them all right, but they still give the classic questions: what nerve is damaged in shoulder dislocation? axillary. That kind of stuff.

Path: The majority of the exam. The only thing I can say is, the more you know, the better.

Pathophys: Like I said earlier, they really hone in on arrows. This was a challenge for me. I thought my pathophys was good going into the test. I used BRS phys, which is a good book for phys, but in retrospect, I think I should have spent more time in doing pathophys questions. My preliminary advice is dont neglect this section. If your school was like mine, we learned physio and then path, but no pathophys. I think the boards knows this and that's why they drill you.

Pharm: Not too bad, they love presenting graphs w/ drug X alone, then drug Y alone, and asking what a combination of the two is or can you identify that drug. As far as side effects, sometimes they told me: the patient takes these 7 drugs, which of them would cause side effect X, this was a little challenging b/c you had to about every freakin drug. Oh, I forgot to say, most of the drugs they present are ones you've heard about, not some random drug.

Neuro: Know your pathways and know your brain slices, angiograms, etc. They very rarely ask a neuro question w/o a picture. Dont neglect this.

As far as pictures on the test, there was not that much, and usually w/ the history you could figure out the case. However, if you know what the picture is right away, this confirms your suspicions.

Anyways, I'll post more once I get my scores. I'll just end w/: study the "why" of things more than the what. Relax during your test. As someone said earlier, if you go in w/ getting beat up by not knowing some questions or getting freaked out, you will have a long day. Concentrate on getting the ones you know right.

Thanks for sharing everyone!!

I was wondering what is the best way to go through the NBME's when researching the answer. Did you stick with the specific topic (i.e. one type of calculation) and just learn it? or did you study the whole topic (i.e. all of renal).

I just finished and i would agree with most people. One piece of advice, if you did not do really well in the first year, do not put all your faith in first aid. first aid is a good review but you need to understand what is going on and why. I used kaplan web prep and thought it prepared me way more than if I would have just used first aid. The test is more like the NBME's than q bank but both are good for practice. good luck and dont freak it is really not too bad (i am saying this before i see how well i did). peace-

Psychopathology said:
Congrats on finishing!

I agree that doing the NBME examinations is a priority and that there is overlap between the content of those exams and that which you will encounter on the day of your exam. It is a shame that official answers are not available for the practice exams.

Many of the questions were closer to QBANK than I had anticipated, but there is an obvious advantage of preparing with questions that have been released by the test writers. I was not a particular fan of QBANK, but in retrospect, I should have made it more of a priority. I also regret the missed opportunity of every NBME released question that I had not answered or that I had answered but not researched.

I'll add my name to the long list of people who believe that first aid HANDS you some of the answers. It is like having Vikas whispering them in your ear. There are some other, stand-out authors, who seem to know what is going to be asked. Fix's HY Neuro has everything. I did not like that book the first time I read it. I was smart to pick it up again and give it another chance. Goljan is obviously a huge help. Being able to play odds on a disease is uniquivocally high yield, big time! Mechanisms! Mechanisms! And furthermore, caspasases! Rapid Review pathology and biochemistry are great and the questions are helpful. Some of Costanzo's BRS questions appeared almost word for word. She is the authority on board physiology. If there is one author who saved my buttocks today, it was Dudek. HY Cell and Molec comes right after first aid in terms of importance. HY Histo is a tremendous help with excellent pictures and the HY anatomy and embryology books offer some hope for lower yielded, yet somewhat unwieldily subjects.

I thought the exam content varied tremendously between blocks. My first block was a horror show, and a few of the subsequent blocks seemed less challenging than the NBME released items. Block five was horrendous and the remaining blocks were on par with the NBME released items. I will have to say, however, that caffeine took blocks six and seven for me and there's no telling how he performed on them. My final question was essentially "can you divide 6,000 by 100?" and I could not figure out why 600 was not listed among the answer options. In other words, prepare for fatigue and brain farts. The test is long.

nrosigh is obviously extremely intelligent, even by many of our new-found standards, so it is no wonder (really no kidding) that nrosigh had such a good experience. An easy question by nrosigh standards may not be easy for everyone, even if all you really need to know to answer it is a few facts from first aid and a four hundred eighty IQ... ha ha! Seriously, performance is probably a reflection of preparation AND natural gift. That said, I can certainly understand how the NBME practice assessment is predictive of success on the exam, seeing that all but two or three blocks felt like "NBME Block Five," so I whole-heartedly agree that if you are doing well on the NBME... then you have every reason to feel confident going into this thing. If you consistently scored 9000s on the nbme assessments, the test will be more-or-less the same. Humans, however, may find some questions more challenging than others (ha ha, just kidding with ya!) It is not a walk in the park and dumb luck goes a long way in determining which questions you get, but don't kid yourself about "I think I failed" when you've gotten good marks on the practice assessments. Most people do about the same on the real deal. I hope I did. Hell, I hope I got a 280. Bet you I didn't!

Lastly, very intelligent people give very intelligent advice, so I appreciate people like nrosigh taking the time to detail their experiences. I don't claim to be one among them, but I hope to have supplemented his/her post with what I consider a down to earth interpretation of my own experience. Best of luck to everyone and congratulations to those who have finished!

I had a similar problem though in that I calculated a number that was basicaly 6*5 but couldnt find 30 in the choices....I assumed that was an experimental question just to piss me off and i moved on :D

Nrosigh is putting a lot of effort into this. He/she finished Qbank (by the way, is this UW or Kaplan?) 1 month before the test. Many people don't even study for 1 month in total.

My equation is pretty much:

2 weeks x 8 hours a day = 10 points
(with right strategy, which is adequately provided by this forum)

Most people start with 200 right after school ends. So 6 weeks bring you around 230. If you squeeze in 12 hours a day or another 2 weeks, that's probably 240. Beyond 240, the pay-off starts to hit diminishing return. Beyond 250, it's all about how genetically smart you are.

Nrosigh is putting a lot of effort into this. He/she finished Qbank (by the way, is this UW or Kaplan?) 1 month before the test. Many people don't even study for 1 month in total.

My equation is pretty much:

2 weeks x 8 hours a day = 10 points
(with right strategy, which is adequately provided by this forum)

. So 6 weeks bring you around 230. If you squeeze in 12 hours a day or another 2 weeks, that's probably 240. Beyond 240, the pay-off starts to hit diminishing return. Beyond 250, it's all about how genetically smart you are.

Was putting ;)

And even if you are fortunate enough to be getting up to 250, you better believe that "most people" are not going to get there.

Kaplan Qbank.

There were old school posters on SDN who started in December of 2nd year and had Qbank (and then some) finished by Feb/March. One had done a total number of 11,000+ questions! His name is Idiopathic (D.O., now an anesthesia resident).

Oh how times have changed...

Kaplan Qbank.

There were old school posters on SDN who started in December of 2nd year and had Qbank (and then some) finished by Feb/March. One had done a total number of 11,000+ questions! His name is Idiopathic (D.O., now an anesthesia resident).

Oh how times have changed...

The good old days when one would walk 5 miles uphill to school both ways while doing Kaplan QBank questions on your laptop strapped to your chest.

The good old days when one would walk 5 miles uphill to school both ways while doing Kaplan QBank questions on your laptop strapped to your chest.

In 10 feet of snow with no shoes on (and the Qbank was a bootlegged version). Rough times man...