heyhey20

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2005
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
what's up everyone!

I was just wondering...one of my friends got into usc last year with about a 2.8 gpa w/bachelor's degree, and her parents made a $1000 donation to USC, which she says is what got her in. Is it true that if you make a donation it increases your chances if your weaker in other areas of your application? It sounds probable, but i was just wondering if anyone ran into this experience. Just curious cuz i want to go to usc too...heheheh.

senzabee

10+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2006
Status
Pharmacy Student
heyhey20 said:
what's up everyone!

I was just wondering...one of my friends got into usc last year with about a 2.8 gpa w/bachelor's degree, and her parents made a $1000 donation to USC, which she says is what got her in. Is it true that if you make a donation it increases your chances if your weaker in other areas of your application? It sounds probable, but i was just wondering if anyone ran into this experience. Just curious cuz i want to go to usc too...heheheh.
I wouldn't recommend "buying" your way into USC, but it doesn't surprise me at all. I just graduated from USC (undergrad), and you come to the realization that the undergrad students there got in because they were either smart or rich. It's a very "who you know", not "what you know" type of school, and I've heard that for the pharmacy school, they want USC students to continue on with the "Trojan Family" (which is why it's free for me to apply, since I'm an alum) and that it's easier, supposedly. Same thing applies to donors or people who know USC people. It's not that you have to know someone, but it's to your advantage. And of course they want smart kids too.

When it comes down to the details about buying your way in with money, it's not anything to be proud of at all, but the real world works that way...and as much as some may not like it, business thrives on networking and I guess USC knows that and prides themselves on their network and family.

PolarBear21

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2006
Status
Pharmacy Student
I have a hard time believing you can buy your way into USC pharmacy school for only 1,000 dollars. Are you sure other services weren't provided... :rolleyes:

senzabee

10+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2006
Status
Pharmacy Student
PolarBear21 said:
I have a hard time believing you can buy your way into USC pharmacy school for only 1,000 dollars. Are you sure other services weren't provided... :rolleyes:
Haha, PolarBear21 has a point in that $1000 is actually very little (not talking about the "other services" haha). But I remember looking up season football tickets, and the good seats (aka not end-zone seats) were only for those who donated money. And seriously, you have to donate A LOT of money, like $20,000 :eek: ...although they do give you 5 years to pay for it or something like that. I did wonder how $1000 got your friend in...I mean, compared to tuition, that amount is pocket change.

klebsiella

10+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2006
Status
It def happens...my roommate at Yale got into Harvard Med school b/c her dad donated around a million dollars. But, I can't see 1K doing much for your application.

a504n

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2006
Status
I agree that donating money can possibly get you into their school, however I don't believe only $1,000 would be good enough to get you in. That's really not much money at all. I would offer at least $10,000 cash if I was trying to buy my way in.

Swanchick84

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2005
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
heyhey20 said:
what's up everyone!

Perhaps that friend graduated from a competitive university, had a tough major and had excellent EC's, LOR and personal statement. I agree with the other posts that $1000. is not solely enough to get someone in.

DownonthePharm

Chillin' n Fillin'
10+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2004
Oklahoma
Status
Pharmacist
Honestly $1000 is nothing. If it were that simple we would all be getting in. Its more likely that if her parents were in a position to be donating to the school their influence got her in.

WhoaTasneem

10+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2006
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
senzabee said:
I wouldn't recommend "buying" your way into USC, but it doesn't surprise me at all. I just graduated from USC (undergrad), and you come to the realization that the undergrad students there got in because they were either smart or rich. It's a very "who you know", not "what you know" type of school, and I've heard that for the pharmacy school, they want USC students to continue on with the "Trojan Family" (which is why it's free for me to apply, since I'm an alum) and that it's easier, supposedly. Same thing applies to donors or people who know USC people. It's not that you have to know someone, but it's to your advantage. And of course they want smart kids too.

When it comes down to the details about buying your way in with money, it's not anything to be proud of at all, but the real world works that way...and as much as some may not like it, business thrives on networking and I guess USC knows that and prides themselves on their network and family.

how does the who you know play into it???

I work for a pharmacsist thats an alumnus and he;s a donor. he's got his name on teh front wall of USC when u walk into the pharm school.

Would it be okay to name drop and like on my resume, under job description put something like....."working under USC Alumnus ........answer paient calls, cutomer service...." ???

or does that sound likeim trying too hard???

a504n

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2006
Status
WhoaTasneem said:

I work for a pharmacsist thats an alumnus and he;s a donor. he's got his name on teh front wall of USC when u walk into the pharm school.

Would it be okay to name drop and like on my resume, under job description put something like....."working under USC Alumnus ........answer paient calls, cutomer service...." ???

If I were you, I would probably mention his name, but that's it. I wouldn't brag about him. The school I go to also goes by "who you know and not what you know." If you know a professor or faculty member at that school, most likely they will accept you. On their application, they ask if you have any relatives that work at the school or is an alumus of thier school. Even though they said relatives on the application. People still slide in the names of people they know on their personal statement, and most of them end up getting accepted.

kvl1027

10+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Status
Pharmacist
heyhey20 said:
what's up everyone!

I would rather not have someone treating that had to buy their way into School.

I know it happens, but I agree with everyone else 1000.00 is chump change compared to most donations from rich alum.

Seveneighty

ego sum venenum
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2005
Canada
Status
Pharmacy Student
WhoaTasneem said:
Is there such a thing as "trying too hard" when you're trying to get into pharm school? At least from the school's perspective? :(

Seveneighty

ego sum venenum
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2005
Canada
Status
Pharmacy Student
a504n said:
If I were you, I would probably mention his name, but that's it. I wouldn't brag about him. The school I go to also goes by "who you know and not what you know." If you know a professor or faculty member at that school, most likely they will accept you. On their application, they ask if you have any relatives that work at the school or is an alumus of thier school. Even though they said relatives on the application. People still slide in the names of people they know on their personal statement, and most of them end up getting accepted.
I actually applied to a graduate journalism school a few years back, and I'm sure that one of the big reasons I got accepted (before later rejecting due to my extreme hunger for pharmacy!) was because of a reference letter from a big-name journalist up here in Canada. I had known this person only tangentially, and they wrote me a great reference letter (after telling me that it took "guts" to ask for it)--my relationship w/ this person was actually brought up during the interview, which convinces me that it was a huge reason for accepting me. So who you know can make a difference!

senzabee

10+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2006
Status
Pharmacy Student
WhoaTasneem said:

So if you're applying to USC, don't make it that obvious, haha ;) . But when you're at the interview, you could say something like, "I really got interested in USC's pharmacy when I asked my supervisor John Smith about his experiences at USC. He mentioned your emphasis in [name something interesting] and that is what I want out of a program." Seriously, I could see how that could totally change your admission outlook.

Or even in the question about "what will you bring to the USC pharmacy school", just mention having talked to him and seeing that the program is perfect for your personality, and then go on to mention things about you that make you a good candidate.

When I applied for undergraduate admission, I had a pharmacist I volunteered for (USC undergrad alum) write me an LOR and that might have helped me.