Just wondering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DuckeyDO

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if someone might be able to put my worries to rest somewhat. I graduated last May with a degree in Radiologic Technology. I am no longer in school and back to work full-time. Awhile ago I got a C- in Orgo II. All other pre-reqs are B or better. Is that C- going to kill my chances at schools such as UNECOM, KCOM, or UHS among others?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by DuckeyDO
I was wondering if someone might be able to put my worries to rest somewhat. I graduated last May with a degree in Radiologic Technology. I am no longer in school and back to work full-time. Awhile ago I got a C- in Orgo II. All other pre-reqs are B or better. Is that C- going to kill my chances at schools such as UNECOM, KCOM, or UHS among others?

Nope; as long as the other aspects of your application are strong, a C isn't going to hurt you. We all have a bad semester or two, and adcoms know that. So, don't worry.
By the way, I had a C in orgo II. ;) (What is it about exceptionally smart people and C's in orgo II???) :D

with regards

Wonderful!! (That there is hope I mean; not that you got a C in Orgo II.) Thanks for the reply.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry, but I don't think that C- will work. Most, if not all, schools require at least a 2.0 in all pre-med req. A C- in below a 2.00. If it were a plain C I would agree with the above post but it is not. Some schools will accept biochem in place of a semester of organic so if you took that it still might work.

Sorry

I just wanted to answer my own question here for a second. I was able to speak with admissions counselors at three schools: KCOM, PCOM, and UHS and they each told me that a C- on a pre-req is certainly not deadly to an application. It is a "red flag", but not certain death. They all said that they view the entire app. along with the grade and grant interviews accordingly.

Glad to hear it!

:clap:

Hey,
I am in the same situation, only my C- was in general chem my freshman year. My overall science gpa is over a 3.0. it would be nice if I could get a list of all of the schools that I am automatically disqualified from, since I'd rather not waste my time and money filling out every secondary that I have received.
Can anyone help me out with this?
I know that NOVA will not interview me because of this.
I live in Florida and Nova was one of my top choices... :(

Originally posted by princesamariposa
Hey,
I am in the same situation, only my C- was in general chem my freshman year. My overall science gpa is over a 3.0. it would be nice if I could get a list of all of the schools that I am automatically disqualified from, since I'd rather not waste my time and money filling out every secondary that I have received.
Can anyone help me out with this?
I know that NOVA will not interview me because of this.
I live in Florida and Nova was one of my top choices... :(

Why do you think Nova would not interview you? I'm not sure what their cut-offs are, but I have a friend who is an M1 there who had quite a few C's on her transcript.

Yeah, I have to agree with Qafas. Just because you got a C doesn't put you out of the game. I got a C- in Systems physiology in my senior year at U of Illinois. Now, I'm in class with Qafas at UHS. Just be sure that you show improvement by doing well in your other classes, and prove that it was just a fluke.
Princessamariposa - I got an interview from Nova for the class of 2006 even with this stankin' C-. How are your other grades and MCAT? Are you really sure that it's because of the C-?

My stats are as follows:
I graduated with a 3.5 nonscience gpa, 3.12 science. 3 years physical therapy experience(as an aide), currently work with M.S. patient doing P.T. in her home, research publication, plenty of health related and nonhealth-related volunteer and paid work, etc. I am still waiting on my MCAT score, but I'm guessing at a probable 24, but who knows-that's just about what I received on a practice test....

I received a C- in general chem, but my lab grade was an A. I am concerned about meeting the prerequisite requirement of having at least a 2.0 in each core science class. From what I have heard from an advisor at Nova and several people on this forum, this grade makes me ineligible to be examined for admissions at certain schools.
I emailed Nova (my first choice) and Lynn Crawley said that I could not be interviewed because of the C-, which is below a 2.0.
Has anyone heard differently? particularly at Nova?:confused:

I would like everyone at this point to stay as positive as possible b/c I am certainly trying my darned hardest. I wish there was a precise formula as to what definitely gets one into a DO school.
I have a 3.1 science ( 3 Cs, and all Bs and B+s) and 23 Q and some DO schools have told me my 23 Q is not competitive in spite of my MPH, my work experience, and volunteer stuff. I have 2 interviews so far, AZCOM and TUCOM, and I am praying for more esp in the East coast where i am from. Hang in there!

Why don't you just retake the class? After going through all of the other science classes and studying and taking the MCAT, the Gen Chem C- should be easy to improve in. At least you could improve your application for next year. Or if you have interviews for this year you could send in an updated grade sometime next spring. Just a thought.

Princess Amariposa, if you're really sold on going to Nova (and it seems like you are), have you considered applying to the Masters in Biomedical Sciences program? I actually went through it during the 2000-2001 academic school year. Pretty much everyone who applies to that program goes in with the understanding that everyone who scores an 80% or above in all of the classes will have a seat reserved for them in next year's class of M-1's. These are classes that you take with the M-1's (Gross anatomy, medical histology, medical biochemistry, research seminar in the first semester and medical physiology, medical microbiology, and medical neuroanatomy in the second semester). The great thing is that the ad com at Nova understands that those that are applying for the MBS want to get into Nova bad enough that they're willing to pay a year's tuition for the MBS. It's really not a bad way to go. But, there is always that risk factor involved of not making the 80%. Something to think about. If you want more info, just pm me. I'll be glad to help. :)

A C- certainly is not a good grade, but if the remainder of your application is strong then it can be overlooked. I had a single C+ and it was also in Organic Chem. But many students score poorly in organic, for many many reasons. THey are used to it. Once you are in the door, the interview is what nails it. Remember, medical schools are looking for people that can survive their curriculum and be good representatives of their institution.
If you show that by scoring only the single C-, do well on your MCAT (8's,9's), nail your interview. You are in.

I think the question here is core classes versus non-core classes and somes schools will disqualify you if you don't meet the minimum 2.0 in the CORE classes. One thing to remember though is that all osteopathic school use the same gpa calculations from AACOMAS and the good news is that you ARE allowed to repeat a class to have the grade improved. ONLY the second time you took the class will be counted for your grade in the class. So, the long and short of it is that if you need retake a class AND as long as you didn't need to repeat ALL of your sciences to get a decent gpa, then you can go ahead and do so. Speaking from experience on this one, I had to repeat Calc II three times before I finally got a B and AACOMAS only included the B in my gpa calculation.

A C- is not a death sentence for your application. I am a fourth year at NSUCOM (nova). I had three C's... one in zoology, one in orgo II, and one in orgo II lab. Man i hated organic chemistry. Anyways, just apply to as many schools as you can at this point, don't cross them off your list so early because of what you think they want on your application. The sources here on this website are good, but you have to remember that when it comes to admissions committees, no one really knows what they are thinking. I know people at NSUCOM that graduated college with an 18 on their MCAT.
If you posed the question "I got an 18 on my MCAT," most of the responses would be "take it again, wait a year, etc..." I would tell you just to apply, because schools really do look at everything else.
The MBS year at NSUCOM... several of my friends did it. And there are no guarantees. The deal is if you score 80% or higher on your grades, you are guaranteed an interview at NSUCOM, not a spot as a medical student. Beware. But if I were to choose between no medical degree ever, or taking an extra year to do that, I would choose that (assuming I do not want to become a software designer).

Yes, Old yeller, actually I am sold on going to Nova. I spoke to Lynn Crawley (admissions coordinator at Nova) and she said that I would have been examined for a possible interview if I was already enrolled in the fall course, but of course I found out about all of this a little too late.
I would really appreciate it if you could give me some additional information on the Biomedical Sciences route. I wasn't aware of this pathway. Do you basically have to reapply during the year that you take the courses? Just wondering about rec letters and the sort. And, if you are taking classes along with M-1s, must you retake those courses once you enter medical school. These questions are pretty lame-i'm looking forward to hearing from you...
Thanks,
Allison