Just wondering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ostrich love

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was looking for some input on two schools: COMP-NW and ATSU-SOMA. I understand that they have very different curriculum's, but I do like both. From my understanding, SOMA seems to be more primary care oriented. I have also heard that WesternU in general seems to have better step I and II scores. My biggest concern is residency placement since I don't think I want to do anything in the primary care field. I have looked at the 2011 match list for WesternU and I know that COMP-NW is only going to have third years but I was looking more for current students opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

The school will have a minor role to play in the residency decision it does not matter if they're primarily focused on primary care or what their typical board scores are what matters is how well you do personally and that is independent of the school so preparation will be your best friend. residency position will be determined most likely by your board scores and GPA class rank and that is all something you can do no matter which school you to go to. my opinion is to go to the one that's cheapest or most convenient for you

Hi, I was looking for some input on two schools: COMP-NW and ATSU-SOMA. I understand that they have very different curriculum's, but I do like both. From my understanding, SOMA seems to be more primary care oriented. I have also heard that WesternU in general seems to have better step I and II scores. My biggest concern is residency placement since I don't think I want to do anything in the primary care field. I have looked at the 2011 match list for WesternU and I know that COMP-NW is only going to have third years but I was looking more for current students opinions.

COMP-NW has existed for the past few years as COMP's NW Track. COMP would send students interested in working in the NW back to core rotation sites up here. Technically, they have graduated a few classes already. I assume when 2015 graduates (the first class to have a physical campus in the PNW), their stats will be rolled into one big list because the campuses are considered "one class."

Just to wherever seems like the best fit for you. SOMA's model seems absurd, but it seems to work if you're the right student. Comparing the two is like apples and oranges; maybe you could narrow down what it is you like about both schools? That might help the decision making process.