Juvenile Drug Charges?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigdude123987

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I searched threads on this forum but I couldn't find a definite answer...

One of my buddies got a marijuana charge and conviction when he was a kid (17) and now he's applying the medical school. He has good grades and all, but I keep telling him his past record will haunt him. He says it won't because he was a juvenile. Personally, i think he's in denial. So, what do you guys think? He doesn't have to answer "yes" to the acmas question and possibly other secondaries but won't it show up in a hospital background check? Also, what about licensing?

Members don't see this ad.

Okay so I searched threads on this forum but I couldn't find a definite answer...

One of my buddies got a marijuana charge and conviction when he was a kid (17) and now he's applying the medical school. He has good grades and all, but I keep telling him his past record will haunt him. He says it won't because he was a juvenile. Personally, i think he's in denial. So, what do you guys think? He doesn't have to answer "yes" to the acmas question and possibly other secondaries but won't it show up in a hospital background check? Also, what about licensing?

Is your 'buddy' your subconscious mind?

Reactions: 1 user
Your buddy should consult with a lawyer to make sure there will be no evidence of this during a background check. You do not need to disclose these things to medical schools, but yes, licensing boards will see everything, even if it were expunged. If this was a charge for possession of pot, then it's not a big deal. If your buddy was caught with a controlled substance, there might be some hurdles. Best to speak to a professional to make sure this won't bite them in the butt.

Members don't see this ad :)

Juvenile records are normally sealed, so it should not show up on his background check.

no..it is actually my buddy...my record is clean despite one alcohol incident

Your buddy should consult with a lawyer to make sure there will be no evidence of this during a background check. You do not need to disclose these things to medical schools, but yes, licensing boards will see everything, even if it were expunged. If this was a charge for possession of pot, then it's not a big deal. If your buddy was caught with a controlled substance, there might be some hurdles. Best to speak to a professional to make sure this won't bite them in the butt.

whats the difference between a controlled substance and possession of pot? He told me he got caught with a pipe and some weed and he had to do a bunch of stuff...im tryin to tell him his medical future is gonna be filled with bumps but he's not listening

Just wondering :rolleyes:

As previous poster stated juvenile records are in fact undisclosed...just as long as he is sure that he appeared in a juvenile court and not an adult court (depends on state)

Source: mom's been doing juvenile law for 25 years.

yeah guys i understand he doesn't have to put it down in his application but what about licensing & hospitals? They see everything cause they do fingerprinted stuff I heard...won't he be denied

whats the difference between a controlled substance and possession of pot?

Well... Considering the possession of marijuana is decriminalized in some states, it's less of a red flag than substances such as cocaine or chemical for bomb. I imagine you would agree the latter two are more serious.

just wondering :rolleyes:

As previous poster stated juvenile records are in fact undisclosed...just as long as he is sure that he appeared in a juvenile court and not an adult court (depends on state)

source: Mom's been doing juvenile law for 25 years.

+1

Almost sounds like you want your friend to hit bumps along the way just to be able to say you were right...

I think you will have more problems with your alcohol incident than your buddy will with his pot incident.

whats the difference between a controlled substance and possession of pot? He told me he got caught with a pipe and some weed and he had to do a bunch of stuff...im tryin to tell him his medical future is gonna be filled with bumps but he's not listening

Shouldn't be a hurdle getting into medical school considering the date of the incident, assuming he doesn't screw up in undergrad.

Marijuana is a controlled substance. Controlled substance is more of an umbrella term for DEA regulated drugs. That being said, it's generally taken more "lightly" than other controlled substances. Keep in mind that even though it's decriminalized in some states, it is still C1
(illegal, no accepted medical use, cannot be prescribed) at the federal level.

Members don't see this ad :)
well..i personally think he's in big trouble... all the posts so far have been from pre-meds...u gotta consider our generation views marijuana differently than the older generation...

well..i personally think he's in big trouble... all the posts so far have been from pre-meds...u gotta consider our generation views marijuana differently than the older generation...

We might as well just disregard the entire pre-med forums huh

what's up with you dude, you seem like you want him to be in big trouble, is this guy your friend or do you have some weird passive aggressive competition going on here with this guy

AMCAS allows you to pay to run their background check on yourself before they run it. Do this and only then worry about the next step if it shows up.

AMCAS allows you to pay to run their background check on yourself before they run it. Do this and only then worry about the next step if it shows up.

How do you do that? Just by contacting certiphi?

Sent from my phone.

I hope you learned something from that experience. It is better to simply stay away from alcohol. No other drug has had a more profoundly negative effect on society.

As someone who's had multiple charges as a minor, I know that any charges as a minor can be sealed and undisclosed to anyone except for top government officials (FBI database I believe). The offense is deemed to have never occurred so the adult can start with a clean slate. This is not automatic however and you have to complete a plea agreement called a deferred entry of judgment (DEJ), but for possession of marijuana, I believe it is automatic if your friend has already been to juvenile traffic court and paid/received punishment.

Also, as a minor, you cannot be "convicted" of a crime. They use a different language in juvenile courts/law. So if a job application or medical school asks if you've been convicted, you can always put no cause technically you couldn't have been as a minor. It doesn't show up on certiphi background check (at least mine didn't and it was worse than a marijuana possession charge). It may show up in a live scan though, but even then I'm not sure.

well i see..so if he just got convicted when he was a kid he's record is automatically clean? but don't take it wrong guys..me and my friends talk trash to one another all the time and we all got bad past history...I showed my buddies this thread and I was wondering if you guys could answer some of our debates..Rank the criminal histories from bad to worst for med school apps and future...

1) Drug Charge...Age 17
2) DUI at Age 18
3) MIP at 16 and MIP at 18
4) MIP at 16 and Fake ID at 19 (kid says fake id charge isn't bad..he got busted ordering it from chinese website and got involved with the FBI...hahaha)
5) MIP at 19 (me)

all of them are misdemeanors btw...were all juniors/seniors too

and dont judge..we all know we were dumb as kids...

also what's a livescan and how detail are the fingerprint background checks?

well i see..so if he just got convicted when he was a kid he's record is automatically clean? but don't take it wrong guys..me and my friends talk trash to one another all the time and we all got bad past history...I showed my buddies this thread and I was wondering if you guys could answer some of our debates..Rank the criminal histories from bad to worst for med school apps and future...

1) Drug Charge...Age 17
2) DUI at Age 18
4) MIP at 16 and Fake ID at 19 (kid says fake id charge isn't bad..he got busted ordering it from chinese website and got involved with the FBI...hahaha)
5) MIP at 19 (me)

DUI at 18 is the worst. Fake ID and you are second worst since the older you are, the closer it is to being recent than just being a dumb kid. Then 3 and then 1 is the least bad.

Livescan is a digital fingerprint background check. I know CA uses it. Results are transmitted right away so it's slightly faster processing time.

I think the FBI fingerprint (ink card) checks for everything. Even if you get booked they'll have to report it to NCIC.

Live scan is a fingerprint background check. It's basically to prevent people assuming fake identities to get a background check with that fake identity. The biggest difference is this verification of identity with more than just a government issued ID that can be fake. I think it's the same amount of detail, but I'm not 100% sure.

QTF. I have some experience with this sort of thing. Juvenile records are sealed, but licensing will see it. However, that sort of an offense isn't likely to pose problems for licensing. If you want to talk more, send me a PM.

Older generation??

Some of the 65 year old physicians of today were smoking pot in 1968, and some of the 55 year olds were smoking pot in 1978, I can't speak for the 45 year olds because I don't know their histories with regard to drug use.

Plus, many of the older generation have kids who have gotten arrested for things like pot, MIP, etc, or who were just lucky not to have been caught, and those "old folks" may be more understanding and forgiving than you'd imagine.

1) Drug Charge...Age 17
2) DUI at Age 18
5) MIP at 19 (me)

Definitely, DUI at age 18. That seems to be the only one that may make medical school acceptance tougher.

haha great point lizzy..anyone know what's the typical age of an ADCOM and how bad is my buddie's fake id charge...worse than DUI and/or drug charge?

BTW..what Lizzy..what is the picture of ur profile pic..looks so familiar i just can't put my thoughts on it

Last edited:
haha great point lizzy..anyone know what's the typical age of an ADCOM and how bad is my buddie's fake id charge...worse than DUI and/or drug charge?

BTW..what Lizzy..what is the picture of ur profile pic..looks so familiar i just can't put my thoughts on it

Hint: James Bond.

;)

A misdemeanor marijuana charge will not prohibit anyone from being licensed in most, if not all states. A felony on the other hand is another matter.

will one have to disclose juvenile charges on a residency application? would they show up in a background check and temporary licensing that they get?

Just say "I was never arrested for anything". You will probably get away with it. People at my previous path program lie all the time.

I mean Obama was probably not born in Hawaii, and he rocked Harvard Law. Straighten up, fly right, lie about being arrested. Good luck.

The pathology attending at my previous program lied about calling me a "misfit" and screwed me. A co-resident "lied" about saying the Chair said she thought he looked healthy because he was working out. ..

You wont get anywhere in medicine by being honest. Its pretty screwed up view, but thats what I learned in residency at my prior program.... by the way... I used to tell the truth... Look where I am now -unlicensed. Doctors lie constantly and get away with it. In fact, if you tell the truth most of the time, you will stick out like a sore thumb.