Applying with Misdemeanor Drug Charge

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
I have reached out to a couple of universities and have divulged the age (almost 7 years old) and nature of what are two concurrent (earned at the same time) misdemeanor drug charges (possession of an amount of a dangerous drug for personal use and possession of drug paraphernalia, which was a baggie that contained the drug) that will show up on my background check. **These charges cannot be expunged. In the state where I was charged, Arizona, their courts do not allow expungement for any charge. They only allow something called a “set aside,” which still leaves the charge on your background but notes that it was “set aside.”

1. I was told by both admissions departments that I spoke with that this would not automatically disqualify me for admission, but has anyone here known anyone who was accepted into medical school after pleading guilty to a drug charge?
  2. If I explained where my mind was at the time of the charges, I would have to paint the picture of the abusive relationship that I was in for nearly a decade (age 18 to 27)…. I was involved in a relationship that involved psychological and physical abuse for almost a decade. He had threatened to kill me if I left (which I believed), had isolated me from anyone who might have been able to help me leave, and had led me to believe that I wouldn't be able to survive without him even if I managed to leave. Regardless, I still wanted out, and while I wasn't brave enough to end my life quickly, I resolved to poison myself over time... Several other things also happened around the time of my arrest that led me to the point where I was able to leave him, but the arrest was a big part of what happened to help me see my way out. How much of that should I openly share on my AMCAS and AACOMAS applications?
I’m sorry to have to unload something like this into the chat… Thank you for your help, guys!

Some information regarding who I am in this journey:
In 2019, I graduated summa cum laude (3.97 cumulative GPA) with an Associate in Science and an Associate in Arts degree. Also, since transferring to the university that I attend now, I have maintained a 4.0 GPA and will be graduating in the spring of 2022 with a Bachelor of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies (Pre-med emphasis).

Current BCPM GPA = 3.89 (I earned a “B” in General Chemistry I…), but I will continue to take more biology and math-related classes to raise this before I graduate.

MCAT-wise: I am beginning to prepare now so I can take the MCAT by the middle of next year. I want to feel as confident as possible when I head into the test.

Volunteer record: I have spent time with local food banks, my last school’s food pantry, and in a no-kill animal shelter

Relevant work experience to medicine: I worked in an emergency room as a patient registration representative. Often, I was the fist contact that a patient had with hospital staff, and if a patient was incapacitated, I was often the first to approach family members and gather information so a wristband and stickers could be made that would make treating the patient easier. I dealt with people who were struggling with mental health issues and some who were experiencing immediate destress due to physical trauma and needed to be able to approach them in a way that would allow me to help them the best way that I could in my position…

Members don't see this ad.