kaiser california

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by GaseousClay, Oct 18, 2015.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Eyefixer

Eyefixer 7+ Year Member

Nov 26, 2007
    So Cal is known as more physician friendly Kaiser, but pays less. On average, Nor Cal pays more but you work more hours. For you guys also, I think there is more CRNA supervision in Nor Cal. So, yeah, you decide :).

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. deltamed

deltamed Member 10+ Year Member

Jun 25, 2003
    More info regarding kaiser in denver to add to above comparisons between socal and ncal-

Physicians are w2 employees so no good tax advantaged retirement plans that come from k1

Pension is 50% of salary for life after 25-30 years service (depending on starting age). Fund was well managed although who knows in the future.

Salary is based on 50% median mgma and agma surveys.

Workload is pretty cush compared w private.

Staff is unionized so control is minimal.

4. GassmanMD

GassmanMD ASA Member 5+ Year Member

Sep 10, 2011

Just digging this up so I can give this comment by SaltyDog some mad props. This has come true and I am considering walking. I have some serious doubts and trepidations about walking though. Has anything changed in the regional market in regards to buy outs? Are groups still pretty secure? I may have a 2 yr partnership track offer one week from now with a very fair group in a better location. My biggest fear is leaving the safe asylum of Kaiser and being left in the dust if the group sells before making partner.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    dchz likes this.
  5. GaseousClay

GaseousClay :) 2+ Year Member

Oct 23, 2013
    USA
    Just got word they are starting out 420k for 40 hours a week for generalists at denver kaiser. thats well over 150k more than so cal kaiser. Forget california go colorado

FFP, dchz and SaltyDog like this.
  6. fakin' the funk

fakin' the funk ASA Member 10+ Year Member

Aug 23, 2004
    A bit of more up-to-date comments on Kaiser vs PP jobs.

Kaiser in NorCal (TPMG) may or may not advertise jobs, certainly not in the more desirable areas (inner Bay Area, e.g.) and in more desirable specialties. As you said, this is how it's done for the desirable PP groups, but not so much for the undesirable ones.

The Kaiser package is very competitive to what is available in PP. Depending on the PP group and individual preference for more work / more pay or more work / more vacation, either might be better for the individual. Clearly the work structure can be hugely different: MD-only, blended-unit eat-what-you-kill PP vs CRNA supervision +/- solo practice. Separate topic though.

Kaiser is very much able to cherry pick rockstars out of residency/fellowship.