Kansas State c/o 2020

Started by battie
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do any current students have apartments you would recommend, or places to avoid? I've done a little searching online, but I hate apartment hunting in general and it's so much harder from another state! I'm looking for a one-bedroom, cat friendly, close to campus. I'm planning on visiting in April for the open house and hope to commit to a place then.
 
I emailed Dr. Elmore this morning and asked for a file review as well. He said "
You are high on our alternate list and will likely get an offer from us after April 15 if this year is like previous years. Therefore, let's wait and see until then before exploring what you might do to become more competitive." That helped put me at ease so much!!! Can hardly wait until April/ May!!!
He said the exact same thing to me haha.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
 
Do any current students have apartments you would recommend, or places to avoid? I've done a little searching online, but I hate apartment hunting in general and it's so much harder from another state! I'm looking for a one-bedroom, cat friendly, close to campus. I'm planning on visiting in April for the open house and hope to commit to a place then.

I've heard good things about:
Founder's Hill
Westchester Park
George Town

Heard bad things about:
Woodway

Heritage Ridge seems to be okay, but I think it's almost as expensive as Westchester or Founder's and not as nice.

I don't actually know anything about them, but at least from the outside Winston Place and Park Place look kinda sketchy. A complex where your front door is a sliding glass door weirds me out.

Also depends on your planned budget and what amenities you'd like to have; could probably have rent anywhere from like 550-1000 for a 1br with pet rent.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've heard good things about:
Founder's Hill
Westchester Park
George Town

Heard bad things about:
Woodway

Heritage Ridge seems to be okay, but I think it's almost as expensive as Westchester or Founder's and not as nice.

I don't actually know anything about them, but at least from the outside Winston Place and Park Place look kinda sketchy. A complex where your front door is a sliding glass door weirds me out.

Also depends on your planned budget and what amenities you'd like to have; could probably have rent anywhere from like 550-1000 for a 1br with pet rent.
Thank you!
 
Do any current students have apartments you would recommend, or places to avoid? I've done a little searching online, but I hate apartment hunting in general and it's so much harder from another state! I'm looking for a one-bedroom, cat friendly, close to campus. I'm planning on visiting in April for the open house and hope to commit to a place then.

Do not rent any villa Fay apartments! First management is a good management company that is pet friendly. I have also had a good experience with McCullough development, also pet friendly in some locations. I also wouldn't recommend Hrc management. Park place apartments are not the best as someone else mentioned. Heard good things about founders hill and chase apartments, both are first management I think.
 
On the topic of housing: how are other people going about finding living arrangements? I officially committed and sent in my deposit (yay! ) but haven't started finding people to live with yet. Ideally I'd like to maybe rent a house with a few other female students in our class but I haven't been in contact with anyone yet. Also is it definitely advisable to fly out and look at places first before committing?
 
On the topic of housing: how are other people going about finding living arrangements? I officially committed and sent in my deposit (yay! ) but haven't started finding people to live with yet. Ideally I'd like to maybe rent a house with a few other female students in our class but I haven't been in contact with anyone yet. Also is it definitely advisable to fly out and look at places first before committing?
There's a page of people looking for roommates here: http://www.vet.k-state.edu/admissions/housing/roommates-wanted.html
You could also try posting in the class of 2020 Facebook group, but there aren't a ton of people on there yet. Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable committing to a place without seeing it in person, but I'm only a four and a half hour drive from K State, so it's different than if I had to pay for a flight out. Maybe one of your future roommates could visit in person and send pictures/give their impression? You can't always trust the pictures online. I'm planning on living alone, but good luck! We'll be classmates soon!
 
There's a page of people looking for roommates here: http://www.vet.k-state.edu/admissions/housing/roommates-wanted.html
You could also try posting in the class of 2020 Facebook group, but there aren't a ton of people on there yet. Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable committing to a place without seeing it in person, but I'm only a four and a half hour drive from K State, so it's different than if I had to pay for a flight out. Maybe one of your future roommates could visit in person and send pictures/give their impression? You can't always trust the pictures online. I'm planning on living alone, but good luck! We'll be classmates soon!
On the topic of housing: how are other people going about finding living arrangements? I officially committed and sent in my deposit (yay! ) but haven't started finding people to live with yet. Ideally I'd like to maybe rent a house with a few other female students in our class but I haven't been in contact with anyone yet. Also is it definitely advisable to fly out and look at places first before committing?

Yeah, it can go either way. It seems like a lot of the complexes here don't have very good websites or much in the way of photos. Especially if living solo could be tough to really know what you're signing up for without a visit, so if possible I'd recommended doing it. If you're trying to find roommates than they can send you photos and more info about their current place; I just responded to a few listings on the vet med site until I got some responses. Went off of pictures e-mailed to me and a skype convo with the potential future roommates and it worked out well. My next visit after my interview was moving in for orientation. But I know there were classmates who visited again during the summer to find apartments.
 
Do any current students have apartments you would recommend, or places to avoid? I've done a little searching online, but I hate apartment hunting in general and it's so much harder from another state! I'm looking for a one-bedroom, cat friendly, close to campus. I'm planning on visiting in April for the open house and hope to commit to a place then.

I liked FHP (Flint Hills Properties). There are still some 1-bedrooms available in a divided house. FHP is a small business compared to the other housing available in town. I had a positive rental experience with them, was able to text the owner when there were a couple of necessary repairs.
The other small business owner I've rented from was called Switchgrass Development, and was also able to text with any issues. Both of these are not only pet friendly but large dog friendly! So when their properties are marked as pet friendly, your odds are better than usual that they didn't mean "dogs and cats under 30lbs." (But things may have changed in the last couple of years for anyone who has dogs and are moving here).
If you search their websites for properties, type in Manhattan for the location or use the zipcode. Don't enter in city and state.
 
Does anyone know when those of us who've committed to attending can expect to hear more from the school? I know it's still early and I'm guessing probably not until May or so, but I'm getting antsy. 🙂
 
Does anyone know when those of us who've committed to attending can expect to hear more from the school? I know it's still early and I'm guessing probably not until May or so, but I'm getting antsy. 🙂

You may get a confirmation once you've sent in the signed papers and deposit (and can always call and check they got it). Not sure if I'm remembering right, but I think they didn't send out welcome packets until later in summer. Like June/July sort of thing.
 
You may get a confirmation once you've sent in the signed papers and deposit (and can always call and check they got it). Not sure if I'm remembering right, but I think they didn't send out welcome packets until later in summer. Like June/July sort of thing.
I did get an email that they got my deposit and stuff, and they've deposited my checks. But thanks, I guess I'll keep trying to be patient!
 
I'm visiting the school again this weekend! I am going to OkSU's open house for accepted students and going to make the drive to KSU. I need to see it again before I can make my final decision. I'm excited! I really loved KSU...it might be the one [emoji76]
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know when those of us who've committed to attending can expect to hear more from the school? I know it's still early and I'm guessing probably not until May or so, but I'm getting antsy. 🙂

For some reason I think it's in June 🙂. It's weird to see friends enrolling for Fall semester when I know I won't hear anything else for a few months.
 
For some reason I think it's in June 🙂. It's weird to see friends enrolling for Fall semester when I know I won't hear anything else for a few months.
The email I got said "The CVM Dean’s Office will process your enrollment in CVM classes for the Fall 2016 semester," so I don't know if that means everyone is automatically enrolled in the same classes first semester or what?
 
The email I got said "The CVM Dean’s Office will process your enrollment in CVM classes for the Fall 2016 semester," so I don't know if that means everyone is automatically enrolled in the same classes first semester or what?
Yep. The Dean's office takes care of all of your enrollment the first 3 years. You'll get a packet in June with information. That will include a list of electives to choose 2 or 3 additional classes from; once you mail that back in, they'll finish your enrollment.
 
On a related note: will they be sending us a list of suggested supplies (like stethoscopes, etc.) or the physical form/vaccination requirements? I know it's a little early but things like rabies vaccines can take a while with all of the boosters so I was hoping we'd get a little more notice on that.
 
On a related note: will they be sending us a list of suggested supplies (like stethoscopes, etc.) or the physical form/vaccination requirements? I know it's a little early but things like rabies vaccines can take a while with all of the boosters so I was hoping we'd get a little more notice on that.

You'll want the rabies vaccine series. I'd suggest looking into it now, as people have mixed reviews with insurance coverage. If you can't get it covered by insurance, you can do it earlier at your convenience or wait until the fall when the school does a vaccine clinic on site for the first years. During third year you get a free titer to make sure you don't need a booster before clinics. Prices vary, but I generally hear around $700-$1000 for the rabies series if paying full price (I was quoted $900, but insurance covered mine).

No rush on a stethoscope, you won't need it until third year. I detest the smell of formaldehyde so I liked wearing scrubs in lab, but some people don't care. I'd suggest shoes you don't mind a risk of getting guts on though.
 
You'll want the rabies vaccine series. I'd suggest looking into it now, as people have mixed reviews with insurance coverage. If you can't get it covered by insurance, you can do it earlier at your convenience or wait until the fall when the school does a vaccine clinic on site for the first years. During third year you get a free titer to make sure you don't need a booster before clinics. Prices vary, but I generally hear around $700-$1000 for the rabies series if paying full price (I was quoted $900, but insurance covered mine).

No rush on a stethoscope, you won't need it until third year. I detest the smell of formaldehyde so I liked wearing scrubs in lab, but some people don't care. I'd suggest shoes you don't mind a risk of getting guts on though.
Since I guess you're a current student?
What's the dress code like?


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
 
Since I guess you're a current student?
What's the dress code like?


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Dress code is pretty chill in comparison to a lot of schools. You'll definitely want to dress business casual for orientation. After that most first years try to dress business casual (khakis, slacks, skirt, blouse, dress, tie for the guys) on Mondays, since this is when you will have your career development class. Otherwise, people usually wear nice jeans and nice shirts or occasionally a KState or CVM Tshirt. Just try to avoid sweat pants/ athletic-wear and you should be okay.
 
You'll want the rabies vaccine series. I'd suggest looking into it now, as people have mixed reviews with insurance coverage. If you can't get it covered by insurance, you can do it earlier at your convenience or wait until the fall when the school does a vaccine clinic on site for the first years. During third year you get a free titer to make sure you don't need a booster before clinics. Prices vary, but I generally hear around $700-$1000 for the rabies series if paying full price (I was quoted $900, but insurance covered mine).

No rush on a stethoscope, you won't need it until third year. I detest the smell of formaldehyde so I liked wearing scrubs in lab, but some people don't care. I'd suggest shoes you don't mind a risk of getting guts on though.
Is there student health insurance available, and if so does it cover the rabies vaccines? I doubt the crappy insurance I have now does...
Also re: scrubs, are we assigned a specific color or is it anything goes? I remember the tour guide at my interview mentioning something about a scrub top with our class logo on it to wear in the teaching hospital. Sorry for bombarding y'all with questions. 😉
 
Is there student health insurance available, and if so does it cover the rabies vaccines? I doubt the crappy insurance I have now does...
Also re: scrubs, are we assigned a specific color or is it anything goes? I remember the tour guide at my interview mentioning something about a scrub top with our class logo on it to wear in the teaching hospital. Sorry for bombarding y'all with questions. 😉
There is student health insurance available through United Healthcare. I'm not entirely sure what it would cover with regards to vax; I would contact Lafene Health Center. You can pretty much whatever scrubs you want in lab. The class scrub top is for when you want to into the VHC and observe during the first couple of years.
 
@sarakittykat is that you that just posted in the c/o 2020 Facebook group??
Yes! 🙂 my sdn name isn't too secretive haha. Add me on Facebook!

Current students: I'm looking for a place to rent with my fiancé stating in June. We would prefer a home, but could go for a duplex or a "nicer" apartment complex. Needs to be cat friendly. Any ideas on where to look? Suggest any management companies to look through or ones to avoid?

Thanks!
 
Yes! 🙂 my sdn name isn't too secretive haha. Add me on Facebook!

Current students: I'm looking for a place to rent with my fiancé stating in June. We would prefer a home, but could go for a duplex or a "nicer" apartment complex. Needs to be cat friendly. Any ideas on where to look? Suggest any management companies to look through or ones to avoid?

Thanks!

Just did! My first name starts with a K, and I'm wearing sunglasses in my profile pic. 🙂

I'm the Sarah that replied to your comment about housing! Add me you guys 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Who here is OOS and has accepted a position at KSU and who here (OOS) has declined a position at KSU


KSU c/o 2020 hopeful
 
Last edited:
Do any of the accepted students know how many seats have been filled in the 2020 class


KSU c/o 2020 hopeful
 
Hi everyone! I'm currently a sophomore here at k-state in my undergrad, and I was wondering if you guys could share your statistics with me? (such as shadowing hours, animal experience, GRE scores etc.) It would be greatly appreciated!
 
No, you would probably have better luck contacting admissions.
I just did lol and the said they couldn't give out anymore information about alternates until they have received all of their acceptances so they won't know anything until April 16th [emoji52]


KSU c/o 2020 hopeful
 
I just did lol and the said they couldn't give out anymore information about alternates until they have received all of their acceptances so they won't know anything until April 16th [emoji52]


KSU c/o 2020 hopeful

At least you don't have too much longer to wait 🙂
 
Right... 4 days!!! I wish I had a time machine, then I could fast forward and know if I got in so I could just calm down lol... Spaz over here


KSU c/o 2020 hopeful
 
Right... 4 days!!! I wish I had a time machine, then I could fast forward and know if I got in so I could just calm down lol... Spaz over here


KSU c/o 2020 hopeful
So they said they will be calling people on the waitlist over the weekend?


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
 
Hey question for the accepted students... Do you guys have access to your portal and if so can you see your fellow classmates? If you can would you be willing to share that info with us waitlisters?


KSU c/o 2020 hopeful
 
Hey question for the accepted students... Do you guys have access to your portal and if so can you see your fellow classmates? If you can would you be willing to share that info with us waitlisters?


KSU c/o 2020 hopeful
I haven't heard anything about a portal yet.
 
Hey question for the accepted students... Do you guys have access to your portal and if so can you see your fellow classmates? If you can would you be willing to share that info with us waitlisters?


KSU c/o 2020 hopeful

I don't think we get access to anything until June 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't think we get access to anything until June 🙁

They can be quite slow about updating the online things. I think the financial aid office contacted me and I got access to K-State online in like June or July. I don't believe we had access to vet med email or CVM intranet or any of that stuff until orientation. Classes used to use the intranet for a lot of stuff, then K-state online, now recently the newest system is Canvas, so some things are still a little disjointed in what is being used and where things are.
 
I put down a deposit on an apartment at Founders Hill today! I'll be moving in August 3rd. It's more expensive than I'm used to, but hopefully I'll be happy there for 4 years. Not gonna lie, I'm super excited to have my own washer and dryer in unit. 😀 I'm glad to have housing taken care of, I was worried I wouldn't find a place I liked this weekend and would have to figure something out from 4.5 hours away.
 
I put down a deposit on an apartment at Founders Hill today! I'll be moving in August 3rd. It's more expensive than I'm used to, but hopefully I'll be happy there for 4 years. Not gonna lie, I'm super excited to have my own washer and dryer in unit. 😀 I'm glad to have housing taken care of, I was worried I wouldn't find a place I liked this weekend and would have to figure something out from 4.5 hours away.

I've only heard good things about founders hill! I lived with the same management company a few years ago and loved them.