Kansas State c/o 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if waitlist students should also submit their fall transcripts as well? Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Just curious. How many of you that were accepted went to K-State undergrad. I'm starting pre-vet in the fall there as a Freshman(Early Admit Program) and would love to hear suggestions from anyone who went here undergrad. Thanks!
I also went to K-state for my undergrad. For an early admit I would say the best thing you can do is keep your GPA above that 3.5. Make sure you are taking enough credits that if you get a C in a science course that your other classes can even in out.

Turned down my OOS seat today! Best of luck to everyone :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sent out the letter declining my OOS seat today. It was a difficult decision but K-State ended up being the most expensive school I was accepted to. Hope someone will get this seat, good luck!

Sent out my letter today accepting! Just curious for all the OOS, how is everyone looking for housing? I'm currently living in CA and it feels a little daunting trying to find housing w/out actually being there :(

Sent out my letter today accepting! Just curious for all the OOS, how is everyone looking for housing? I'm currently living in CA and it feels a little daunting trying to find housing w/out actually being there :(
I found the place I'll be staying at on the CVM's housing list! The Facebook group for our class also has a few postings too!

I found the place I'll be staying at on the CVM's housing list! The Facebook group for our class also has a few postings too!
Do you mind posting/sending me the links to the groups? It'd be greatly appreciated

Manhattan is a college town and there are tons of options! Most of them require that you sign a year long lease so you may want to look at the apartment yourself before making the decision.

The university also leases apartments (Jardine apartments) that are cheaper than the marketplace, and within walking distance to vet school. But I heard they are super popular and absolutely not pets. You could call and check availabilities.

Just curious, how many of you all have given up your out of state seats? I'm on the alternate list and have no idea where. Just trying to keep a little hope.

Just curious, how many of you all have given up your out of state seats? I'm on the alternate list and have no idea where. Just trying to keep a little hope.

You need some hope? I've got some for you and it's all free:
April 15th deadline hasn't hit yet so they may not have started calling from their list.
They won't ever tell you where you are on the list, but there's plenty of hope. I got called off in July (in state). It certainly was NOT fun waiting around and I had gone through many flip flops of telling myself "I accept that I need to reapply" and having hope I wouldn't. It's not easy waiting around and making plans to attend another school you accepted (but isn't your #1), finding jobs, or whatever other plans-- but trust me, April is too early to start losing hope. Whatever things you need to improve, finalize those steps for summer ASAP so it can go on your next application. Even if you think it's only interviewing skills, then start asking people to help you with that.

Reactions: 3 users
I got an email accepting me off the alternate list today, so if you haven't checked you emails recently you should!

For any OOS students paying your own way through vet school, what made you decide to attend K-State and take on that financial commitment, and how do you plan on paying it? This was the only school I was accepted to this year, so I'm torn between accepting the offer and being in massive debt or applying to grad school to get my grades up and hoping that I get into my IS next year. Any advice would be appreciated!

I got an email accepting me off the alternate list today, so if you haven't checked you emails recently you should!

For any OOS students paying your own way through vet school, what made you decide to attend K-State and take on that financial commitment, and how do you plan on paying it? This was the only school I was accepted to this year, so I'm torn between accepting the offer and being in massive debt or applying to grad school to get my grades up and hoping that I get into my IS next year. Any advice would be appreciated!
I'm a first year here, OOS. K-State was my only acceptance on my third time applying, so it was kind of a no brainer for me to accept my spot here. I'd decided on my last application cycle that I wasn't going to apply again regardless, due to the costs and the stress of it all, and I was tired of not knowing where my life would be in a year. It was frustrating because on my last application one of my LOR writers was unable to submit on time due to a glitch with VMCAS, so that disqualified me for my IS (Mizzou), but luckily K-State and a couple other schools were willing to accept the late letter. I almost gave up and didn't have him send the letter since I was going to have to pay OOS tuition if I got in anywhere, but I'm very glad I didn't give up!

As for how I'm paying for school, the answer is loans, loans, and more loans. That's about the only option unless you have a spouse or parents able to support you, or a LOT of personal savings. I have a job as an ambassador for the vet school, but I get very few hours from that so it's just a little extra spending money. There simply isn't enough time in the week to work full-time as a vet student, and even if you could it probably still wouldn't be enough to cover OOS tuition. I will have over $250k in debt once I graduate, which isn't something to take on lightly, but I couldn't see myself being happy doing anything else. Hopefully programs like IBR/PAYE will remain in place, so I'll just have to figure out how to pay the tax amount at the end of the repayment period. I also want to own my own clinic someday or mayyybe specialize, so that will increase my earning potential.

It's really a personal decision whether you want to accept the OOS spot or try again IS, but just consider how you would feel if you were to apply again to just your IS and still not get in. My situation was a little unique, and maybe I would have made a different decision if it had been my first try. Have you done a file review with your IS? If you were really close to getting accepted there, that might make a difference versus if they want you to retake multiple classes, get thousands more hours of experience, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a first year here, OOS. K-State was my only acceptance on my third time applying, so it was kind of a no brainer for me to accept my spot here. I'd decided on my last application cycle that I wasn't going to apply again regardless, due to the costs and the stress of it all, and I was tired of not knowing where my life would be in a year. It was frustrating because on my last application one of my LOR writers was unable to submit on time due to a glitch with VMCAS, so that disqualified me for my IS (Mizzou), but luckily K-State and a couple other schools were willing to accept the late letter. I almost gave up and didn't have him send the letter since I was going to have to pay OOS tuition if I got in anywhere, but I'm very glad I didn't give up!

As for how I'm paying for school, the answer is loans, loans, and more loans. That's about the only option unless you have a spouse or parents able to support you, or a LOT of personal savings. I have a job as an ambassador for the vet school, but I get very few hours from that so it's just a little extra spending money. There simply isn't enough time in the week to work full-time as a vet student, and even if you could it probably still wouldn't be enough to cover OOS tuition. I will have over $250k in debt once I graduate, which isn't something to take on lightly, but I couldn't see myself being happy doing anything else. Hopefully programs like IBR/PAYE will remain in place, so I'll just have to figure out how to pay the tax amount at the end of the repayment period. I also want to own my own clinic someday or mayyybe specialize, so that will increase my earning potential.

It's really a personal decision whether you want to accept the OOS spot or try again IS, but just consider how you would feel if you were to apply again to just your IS and still not get in. My situation was a little unique, and maybe I would have made a different decision if it had been my first try. Have you done a file review with your IS? If you were really close to getting accepted there, that might make a difference versus if they want you to retake multiple classes, get thousands more hours of experience, etc.

Thank you, that helps so much!! This is my first time applying and my IS isn't doing file reviews this year nor will they answer my emails/calls asking for any type of feedback. I wasn't offered an interview there, presumably because of my low GPA, so I'm thinking it might take a couple tries and maybe a masters degree for me to get in, which is why I'm really considering K-State despite the cost! I'm just hoping to make the decision that will make me happiest in the long-run, and your advice really helped me out!

Thank you, that helps so much!! This is my first time applying and my IS isn't doing file reviews this year nor will they answer my emails/calls asking for any type of feedback. I wasn't offered an interview there, presumably because of my low GPA, so I'm thinking it might take a couple tries and maybe a masters degree for me to get in, which is why I'm really considering K-State despite the cost! I'm just hoping to make the decision that will make me happiest in the long-run, and your advice really helped me out!

Idk if Kansas allows students to get in state tuition after a year, but I know that there are quite a few schools that do. So if you can do that, it can offset some of the costs as well

Idk if Kansas allows students to get in state tuition after a year, but I know that there are quite a few schools that do. So if you can do that, it can offset some of the costs as well
We don't unfortunately, you sign a contract when you accept your spot agreeing to pay OOS tuition all four years.

Congrats! How long did they give you to decide?

Does KSU rank applicants on the waitlist?

So are we never going to know where we are on the OOS waiting list?

Okay, here's a tricky one for y'all. I'm on the wait list for both K-State AND my first pick school. I'm guessing I'm higher up on the wait list for K-State than my first pick. I'm actually worried that K-State will call me with a spot offer before my first pick does. If this is the case, should I accept K-State's offer, and if my FP calls with an offer quickly tell K-State I change my mind? K-State is by far the more expensive of the two. What do y'all think?

Okay, here's a tricky one for y'all. I'm on the wait list for both K-State AND my first pick school. I'm guessing I'm higher up on the wait list for K-State than my first pick. I'm actually worried that K-State will call me with a spot offer before my first pick does. If this is the case, should I accept K-State's offer, and if my FP calls with an offer quickly tell K-State I change my mind? K-State is by far the more expensive of the two. What do y'all think?
I think that's just fine. You'd probably have to pay deposits at both, but I'm sure the tuition difference is much more than the $500 you would lose.

Reactions: 2 users
So far I've paid deposits for two schools. The first one I got accepted, the second one I got pulled off of a waiting list and is more practical for me to go to than the first. It's a lot of money initially but nothing compared to the debt we will be in in the long run. This way I know I have my seat saved and that I will be going SOMEWHERE, and I'll notify the school I don't choose as soon as I make my decision.

I thought some (most?) schools didn't calculate graduate classes as part of the veterinary application GPA, only undergrad classes? Double check on that with your school (if you haven't already).

I think some schools do a graduate GPA. Or at least consider it when you discus your masters in an interview. The extra coursework is helpful to show that you can handle the rigorous courses

Just received a call at 3:41pm eastern time from Dr. Elmore at Kansas State offering me a seat in the class from the OOS alternate list!!! I declined my seat since I've recently been accepted into my IS!! Good luck to all out there waiting! Can't wait to be your colleague :)

So far I've paid deposits for two schools. The first one I got accepted, the second one I got pulled off of a waiting list and is more practical for me to go to than the first. It's a lot of money initially but nothing compared to the debt we will be in in the long run. This way I know I have my seat saved and that I will be going SOMEWHERE, and I'll notify the school I don't choose as soon as I make my decision.
Thanks for your help! I figured that's what I'll have to do.

Does anyone know how much movement is happening for the OOS waiting list?

I just spoke with Mary Sue at KSU. The class of 2021 is full as of now. Any further movement on the wait list will only happen if someone gives up their seat. Good luck to all that are waiting!

I just spoke with Mary Sue at KSU. The class of 2021 is full as of now. Any further movement on the wait list will only happen if someone gives up their seat. Good luck to all that are waiting!
:(

Just got my acceptance to Kansas state today!!!!! I accepted!

Don't lose hope waitlisters!

Reactions: 9 users
Does anybody know what time festivities are over on Sunday the 21st? Trying to set up my return flight.

Does anybody know what time festivities are over on Sunday the 21st? Trying to set up my return flight.
Once you're done with your interview and have gone on a tour if you want one, you're free to leave! Tours take about an hour, you can go on one either before or after your interview (or you can even come by for a tour on Saturday if you like). The tours don't leave at set times, but us ambassadors will generally take a group about every half hour, as people come back from their interviews. Tours leave from the Mara conference center (the same place you check in for your interview). Also there's a current thread here for the c/o 2022 applicants in case you didn't know! Kansas State C/O 2022 Applicants

Once you're done with your interview and have gone on a tour if you want one, you're free to leave! Tours take about an hour, you can go on one either before or after your interview (or you can even come by for a tour on Saturday if you like). The tours don't leave at set times, but us ambassadors will generally take a group about every half hour, as people come back from their interviews. Tours leave from the Mara conference center (the same place you check in for your interview). Also there's a current thread here for the c/o 2022 applicants in case you didn't know! Kansas State C/O 2022 Applicants
Didnt even realize I was posting in the wrong thread! I've been posting in the 2022 thread and I recently took a peak at this thread to see when decisions are sent out and I forgot to switch back I guess. Thanks so much!

Hi all! I was just accepted as a transfer student into your class and will be joining you guys this coming Spring semester.

I have a few questions in regards to last semester if anyone is willing to PM me and help me out.

I’m looking forward to meeting you guys!

Hi all! I was just accepted as a transfer student into your class and will be joining you guys this coming Spring semester.

I have a few questions in regards to last semester if anyone is willing to PM me and help me out.

I’m looking forward to meeting you guys!
I think the only semi-active person in the c/o 2021 on here is @PigFarmer25. I'm in the c/o 2020 so I may be able to help depending on how specific your questions are, but there were some curriculum changes for the c/o 2021. Another option would be to email Mary Sue Moore, and she could pass your questions onto the first year student ambassadors!

I think the only semi-active person in the c/o 2021 on here is @PigFarmer25. I'm in the c/o 2020 so I may be able to help depending on how specific your questions are, but there were some curriculum changes for the c/o 2021. Another option would be to email Mary Sue Moore, and she could pass your questions onto the first year student ambassadors!
Ok! Thanks for replying!

Is there a student Facebook page or anything like that?

Also, how does your gross anatomy curriculum work? Do you guys do all species, both semesters? Or small animal first semester and large animal second semester?

Ok! Thanks for replying!

Is there a student Facebook page or anything like that?

Also, how does your gross anatomy curriculum work? Do you guys do all species, both semesters? Or small animal first semester and large animal second semester?
There is a class Facebook page, if you scroll up a ways on this page there's a link! First semester anatomy is small animal and second semester is large animal.

There is a class Facebook page, if you scroll up a ways on this page there's a link! First semester anatomy is small animal and second semester is large animal.
Awesome, thank you!

Hey everyone! I applied to KState this app cycle (2017) and was wondering about last year’s waitlist. Does anyone know about how much of the waitlist they got through? Thanks in advance!