This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

First post, but have been coming here for advice for a while, so please excuse my lack of jargon/ stats. And forgive me if this is not the best place to ask this...

I believe I know the collective answer but I am just doing my due diligence and would like more info from SDN.

I am currently finishing up my interviews for this upcoming august. Very non-traditional student and got my application in very late in this cycle. My grades were on the low end of competitive for DO but finished my senior year with a 3.9ish, 3.5 cumulative for that school. Due to my poor initial attempt at college my overall cumulative was 2.89. I have a number of publications and other things going for me, 4 years of work in healthcare etc. etc.

As of last week I have 2 acceptances, KansasCOM and St. Georges. I am waiting for responses from Burrell, WUCOM, ACOM and I have an interview this Friday with LMUCOM. Got rejected from ICOM after an interview, and from 15ish other schools because of my GPA.

The other thing is I know physicians down at SGU, and as long as I do well I think residencies would not be a massive issue, due to connections I have made during my time working in healthcare.

So unless I hear back from other schools, that's what I got.... KCOM and SGU. This weekend is Accepted Student Day for KCOM, which I am attending, and I have a trip down to SGU over the summer with my family.

Caribbean MD or US DO..... Is the MD/DO stigma real and how does it compare to the stigma from the Caribbean?

Members don't see this ad.

KCUCOM without a second thought.

Caribbean you're taking out $100k+ in private loans per year with a strong possibility of not even graduating. They push out anyone they think will risk their Step 1/2/match stats.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Try to send love letters to the more established schools and see if it moves up your application.

I would say Kansas COM offers you the highest chance of becoming a practicing physician. But it will offer you little to no connections which means you'll have to make your own pathway to competitive matching and becoming well educated.
SGU is a diploma mill. sink or swim. get ****ed.

Reactions: 1 user
So my only major concerns with KHSC-COM are the virtual anatomy lab, not having boards/match data, and during my interview the interviewer said that this was a school for students who for lack of a better term "don't need their hand held" which honestly kind of shocked and scared me because I know I do well with structure.

So my only major concerns with KHSC-COM are the virtual anatomy lab, not having boards/match data, and during my interview the interviewer said that this was a school for students who for lack of a better term "don't need their hand held" which honestly kind of shocked and scared me because I know I do well with structure.
Unless you wanna go into surgery (and want more practice on real cadavers), the virtual anatomy lab likely will not have any effect on your future career. Even without any data on boards or match rate, I can with 100% certainty guarantee you that it will be better than SGU. Although, it may or may not be on par with other US schools. I would take that last statement with a grain of salt, there exist no DO school that will not try to dictate things that you can or cannot do (whether it’s about taking USMLE, rotations, dress code, class attendance, specialty you apply to… trust me they will hold your hands). Plus they won’t want their students to fail because that will look bad on them and possibly put them on the radar of the NBOME (as useless as they have been). Unlike SGU which doesn’t give a **** about whether you make it or not.

Last edited:
KCUCOM without a second thought.

Caribbean you're taking out $100k+ in private loans per year with a strong possibility of not even graduating. They push out anyone they think will risk their Step 1/2/match stats.
He was talking about the new school in Kansas not KCU.

He was talking about the new school in Kansas not KCU.

KCU is a high tier DO program that produces solid match lists that are about half as good as low tier MD programs. Which is a pretty solid win.

Kansas Com is a new program and will not hit that mark

SGU is Russian Roulette.