Kaplan Book...good?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Simply_Unique

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard some people say that they only used the Kaplan resources and got really solid scores (~20 AA...maybe less or more) while other people say that Kaplan is not good enough to get good scores. What are you guys' opinions? What other study resources would be good to get really good scores and where can you get them?

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard some people say that they only used the Kaplan resources and got really solid scores (~20 AA...maybe less or more) while other people say that Kaplan is not good enough to get good scores. What are you guys' opinions? What other study resources would be good to get really good scores and where can you get them?

For certain sections Kaplan is really great. For others not so much.

Kaplan should* be all you need for:
OC
GC
RC

You definitely need* more than Kaplan with:

Bio
PAT
QR

* Note: this will depend on your training and background in the subject. Obviously, the more classes you have taken over something, the less likely you are to need additional sources.

If worst comes to worse, just use more than Kaplan and you will get different viewpoints on the subjects.

Regardless of your undergraduate training/background, I think you're setting yourself up for some serious disappointment if you rely solely on Kaplan - while others have claimed that they were able to do well just by using Kaplan or enrolling in the classroom course, I think they're far and away the exception rather than the norm.

IMO, as others have said, Kaplan is only a good source for building a foundation, but beyond that, you need to challenge your knowledge base using practice questions (i.e. Destroyer).

Good luck...

Members don't see this ad :)
Regardless of your undergraduate training/background, I think you're setting yourself up for some serious disappointment if you rely solely on Kaplan - while others have claimed that they were able to do well just by using Kaplan or enrolling in the classroom course, I think they're far and away the exception rather than the norm.

IMO, as others have said, Kaplan is only a good source for building a foundation, but beyond that, you need to challenge your knowledge base using practice questions (i.e. Destroyer).

Good luck...

...:thumbup:

I just took it yesterday; PAT parts other than hole punching were similar to Kaplan. But the hole punching was waaaaaay harder, expect line of simmetry to be "through the middle of holes" and not between.

Chemistry and Orgo seems to be covered around 90%, so I'd say it's quite sufficient. RC depends mostly on personal reading skills, but I thought the passages were easier but the questions way harder, so that evens a lot. For QR I think you just need to go over some terminologies, but get used to fast calculations and pay attention to details.

For Bio, you DEFINITELY need extra materials, or extra courses.

I solely used Kaplan for this DAT, so I hope I can be somewhat of an indicator. I'd think Kaplan's sufficient to pull out a score 20+ as long as you've studied enough during college.

Im actually using the kaplan book now as a base to work off ,but later i plan on using additional books to fine tune my skills for the DAT. I heard the Dat destroyer is good ,so ill probably use that along with other books like crack the pAt.

For certain sections Kaplan is really great. For others not so much.

Kaplan should* be all you need for:
OC
GC
RC

You definitely need* more than Kaplan with:

Bio
PAT
QR

* Note: this will depend on your training and background in the subject. Obviously, the more classes you have taken over something, the less likely you are to need additional sources.

If worst comes to worse, just use more than Kaplan and you will get different viewpoints on the subjects.

right on the money