Kaplan: class or online?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joshwake

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most the people I have talked to that have taken Kaplan did the class. Some have told me it's not really worth the extra money for it and that the online course is just as good. Does anyone know specifically what the benifits are to taking the class as opposed to the online course? I have heard the teachers aren't very good, and that the materials are really whats worth it anyway. Any input is appreciated, thanks

Members don't see this ad.

if you have problems with PAT, take the class. the strategies really help, and having access to the teachers is great!

Unless your teacher isn't very good......

Happen to a few friends and theres no refund, just get to take the class over again with the same teacher..

I 'd check around first.

I'm in the class and think it is worth it. Its only ~300 more than the online version.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the class and think it is worth it. Its only ~300 more than the online version.

Just take the class. The teachers can be very good (and I'm not just saying that because I am a teacher). 300 really isn't a big difference, especially considering the thousands you will spend on your applications, and the hundreds of thousands you will spend on dental school.

As other people have said, you get a more direct explanation of Kaplan strategies and more structure as far as how you should study. In addition, teachers (should) provide guidance outside of class on the application process and dental school in general. Its worth it.

A benefit from taking the class is that it forces you to do the work. If you are doing the online course, its really up to you when you decide to study and do the practice exams.

I took the online course last summer and it was really hard to study organic chem when I could be outside in the nice weather. If I could do it again, I would have taken the class so that it would force me to be productive.

If you are gonna take Kaplan, take the class.

1. Forced study (as stated above)

2. You can study at the Kaplan Center (super quiet).

If you do the online only, you cannot utilize the center. I have a wife/kid so studying at home in nearly impossible.

Good Luck!