Kaplan Diagnostic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mkirk3

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes, I know there are plenty of posts about this already, but because there have been constant changes since the 2015 MCAT, I'm looking to get some more recent data and opinions.

I'm taking Kaplan's MCAT prep course this spring. I made a 497 on the diagnostic which initially made me feel great! But, I made only 39% on the insanely difficult "Science Assessments," and that percent was bested by friends who made even as low as upper 480s. At this point, I had not reviewed or studied content *at all.*

I've always been a good test-taker (34 raw ACT in HS), but I'm second-guessing my diagnostic. Is there ANY chance that this is actually an OVERestimate of my MCAT, rather than an 8+ point underestimate like everyone says? I guess I'm finding it hard to believe that after studying I could actually score as high as a 515+.

Members don't see this ad.

There's generally not a good correlation between test prep companies' tests and the real thing. This is because the questions are not correlated to each other - real MCAT questions tend to be quite different from test prep company questions. So you might do better on one question type and worse on the other. In order for any sort of direct correlation to exist, the two exams - from companies and from the AAMC - must be similar in style and vary only in difficulty. That's not the case.

My scores - 497 Kaplan Diagnostic, 514 real. Never broke a 508 on Kaplan FLs. AAMC material is best for prep and truest to the real deal.