Kaplan FL1, PS#19

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

30somethingyearold

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question:
Solution X boils at 100.26°C and solution Y boils at 101.04°C. Both solutions are at atmospheric pressure and contain the same solute concentration. Which of the following conclusions can be drawn?
A. The freezing point of solution X is lower than that of solution Y.
B. The vapor pressure of solution X is higher than that of solution Y at 100.26°C.
C. Solution X and solution Y are immiscible.
D. The vapor pressure of solution X is lower than that of solution Y at 100.26°C

Answer is B.
The reasoning is because: "... A solution boils when its vapor pressure is equal to the atmospheric pressure, solution Y must have had a lower vapor pressure to begin with. Choice B is therefore correct, and choice D incorrect...."

I thought that since X boils at a lower temperature, it has a lower vapor pressure than Y. Why is it stating what it had to begin with and not now with the solute?! Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Higher boiling point = lower vapor pressure. They are inversely proportional.
Since solution X had a lower boiling point its vapor pressure must have been higher.
I used to think vapor pressure and boiling point were directly related as well, after a few explanations to incorrect answers I realized they weren't the hard way as well.