kaplan for international dental students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

world in touch

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Do anyone know about enrollment of international students (on F 1 status) in kaplan training center??? i have heared that after enrolling in kaplan center, admission to dental school becomes bit risky!!! Is it so?? Is extension of I 20 after enrolling in kaplan is a difficult to do???

Thank u in advance...

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

Step a bit....u all know that kaplan is an important institute that every international dentist wants to know about....Please share any of ur experiences or knowledge regarding the topic with others!!!

How is its training for NBDE part 1 and 2??

Does I-20 for english course of kaplan really affect interview for dental school admission???

Please spend few mins of urs to make this forum helpful to me and others!!!

Thank u.

Hey i dint understand what do you mean by admissions become risky?i dint understand that.if you tell me what does dat mean,i can share my experience as i got my visa converted to student.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all, can you please shed some light on admission being risky after enrolling in kaplan??

I mean how does that affect the dental school admissions?

Anyone who is been to this before?

Hey i dint understand what do you mean by admissions become risky?i dint understand that.if you tell me what does dat mean,i can share my experience as i got my visa converted to student.

Hey,

Thank you prabhaarora for ur regards.:)
Many students first come to states by admission to any university and then enroll for kaplan by accepting I 20 offered by kaplan.(Reason-as most of kaplan's coaching classes charge you less than any graduate school.)

I have heared through many of my friends and seniors that during the interview, if international student have changed his/her I 20 from graduate school to kaplan english coaching class, then interviewer consider the student as insincere towards the graduate study and ( That is the risky point I was talking about) argue that no meaning of taking engllish coaching once you have cleared toefl!!

Additionally, whether kaplan is good for NBDE part 1/2 preparation or not???

Again thank you prabhaarora for your consideration!!

Even I have heared that once you have 6 months I 20 of kaplan say for example for english coaching( as kaplan do not issue I 20 for NBDE preparation), after that time period extension of that I 20 from kaplan is difficult and they argue that 6 month duration is enough for you and we can not further extend it!!!

I am not sure whether this is truth or simply rumors!!

But I am on F 1 status since last six months and I want to join kaplan. But not sure of its consequences!!!:confused:

Thanks again...

i came to states on visitor visa,then i enrolled in masters program but later on i found its too expensive for me.moreover i could not study together with masters and nbde,hence i applied to kaplan coaching instt and i finally got my i 20 here.its been over a year now and i m stil having that status.and regarding the sincerity thing,i think thats all nonsense,the schools just have to do with their fee and embassy need right status,nothing more.rest all according to me are nonsense talks.if you have any questions,let me know.
Even I have heared that once you have 6 months I 20 of kaplan say for example for english coaching( as kaplan do not issue I 20 for NBDE preparation), after that time period extension of that I 20 from kaplan is difficult and they argue that 6 month duration is enough for you and we can not further extend it!!!

I am not sure whether this is truth or simply rumors!!

But I am on F 1 status since last six months and I want to join kaplan. But not sure of its consequences!!!:confused:

Thanks again...

i came to states on visitor visa,then i enrolled in masters program but later on i found its too expensive for me.moreover i could not study together with masters and nbde,hence i applied to kaplan coaching instt and i finally got my i 20 here.its been over a year now and i m stil having that status.and regarding the sincerity thing,i think thats all nonsense,the schools just have to do with their fee and embassy need right status,nothing more.rest all according to me are nonsense talks.if you have any questions,let me know.

Thank you prabhaarora...

Yeah actually makes sense. But the only way to get information on this kind of things is through crowd around u...n unfortunately every of my frns have given me information as mentioned above. so I was bit worried...

Can u let me know whether u have completed national board or not??? Do you have ur admission to dental school done or not??

hi prabha i found ur post and ur situation is lil bit like mine can u plz giude me which kaplan course u took which gave u i2o coz i need i20 to convert my visitor visa too. i m a dentist also but found it too expensive here but my visiting visa entry is finishing in few month so want i20 plz can u teel me which kaplan course u took for i20 coz they dont give i20 for nbde courses. do u know if they give i20 on toefl.

Hey,

Thank you prabhaarora for ur regards.:)
Many students first come to states by admission to any university and then enroll for kaplan by accepting I 20 offered by kaplan.(Reason-as most of kaplan's coaching classes charge you less than any graduate school.)

I have heared through many of my friends and seniors that during the interview, if international student have changed his/her I 20 from graduate school to kaplan english coaching class, then interviewer consider the student as insincere towards the graduate study and ( That is the risky point I was talking about) argue that no meaning of taking engllish coaching once you have cleared toefl!!

Additionally, whether kaplan is good for NBDE part 1/2 preparation or not???

Again thank you prabhaarora for your consideration!!

I have taken Kaplan NBDE part 1 and I find it a waste of time and money. U will be better off reading the kaplan notes instead which u can get it for 10% of the course fee of kaplan. The course has 45-50hrs of video lecture all together. But dont get fooled. Micro/Patho is the worst. Very little of Physio is covered. Biochem and Anatomy were really good but they dont cover much needed for NBDE 'coz they are USMLE video's. They have picked and chosen some video's ment for medical students and have incorporated it into NBDE course. 50hrs seems like a lot of video hrs, but believe me, if it doesnt focus on NBDE, its just a waste of time. but if u have time, and want to have some extra medical knowledge for time pass, then u can spent somewhere close to $900/- and feel freaked out at the end of it because there is so much information given out in the video that u dont need and dont know and which u dont need for the actual exam u r giving. This is exactly what i told Kaplan after i finished viewing all the video's. At the end of the course, ur main purpose of joining the course is not met. u will mostly be disappointed for the time and money that u spent on something that didnt focus wholey on what u went for. Even in the Video, when they stress on important points, they say, 'u might want to know this point well,'coz u will be tested on this in USMLE'. Excuse me! I'm not taking USMLE. Basically what i want to say is, these video's were not made keeping Dental students in mind. There is not much said about the topics thats important to us and a lot said about the topics that are least important to us ('coz those topics r important to medical students than dental students).u know what i mean.
but if this whole thing is about ur visa, then its a different ball game. give it a shot.

hi prabha i found ur post and ur situation is lil bit like mine can u plz giude me which kaplan course u took which gave u i2o coz i need i20 to convert my visitor visa too. i m a dentist also but found it too expensive here but my visiting visa entry is finishing in few month so want i20 plz can u teel me which kaplan course u took for i20 coz they dont give i20 for nbde courses. do u know if they give i20 on toefl.

Hi drsk82

How will this change work for you?

I assume you are on visitor's visa in US now. You need an i-20 from kaplan just to extend your stay..? or you expect interview calls and hopefully admission this year...??

Would you be able to change your F1 status from Kaplan to a Dental School while being in US?

hey

thanks tropical pheonix for ur reviews on kaplan institute.....i am also preparing for ndbe 1 and i was thinking about taking classes with kaplan, but after reading ur reviews i feel it wud be better i wud concentrate on self studying rather than wasting my time these classes....

also i wud like to know what all material u used for ur prepartion.....and how was the whole exam????.....was it really as tough as everybody nowadays are saying???

i think prabha is right ... us institutions have thousands or student waiting in list they r not sitting and thinkin who is sincere and who is not ,wht did he do and where he went?, thy just need money and proper legal status thats it!!!!

hey i m also on tourist visa how shall i convert to student .. u guys did with kaplan bt i m not enrolled in any university so can i get i-20 frm kaplan and change my visa ?? but what after 6 months of english course again extention on what bassis i can get ??

hey i m also on tourist visa how shall i convert to student .. u guys did with kaplan bt i m not enrolled in any university so can i get i-20 frm kaplan and change my visa ?? but what after 6 months of english course again extention on what bassis i can get ??
do we get f1 for nbde part2 also or just the englich course...Is there any some delta dental school also offering nbde courses..do such coachings help in visa conversion or getting school admissions....

hey i called up in kaplan they saying they dont give i-20 nor they change status convert visa :((( any one knows ??? now wt to do to change status tourist to student within usa ??

Guys, I took the Kaplan course for the NBDE part 1. it really sucks, don't waste your money and time. get the Kaplan book from ebay and study at the library or at your house. It really sucks, I'm very disappointed.

hi all, can any one give advice or share their experience/knowledge of NBDE part 2 kaplan. guys what do you think what should i study for preparation? your advice/experience share is very appreciated...thanks..:luck:

hey

thanks tropical pheonix for ur reviews on kaplan institute.....i am also preparing for ndbe 1 and i was thinking about taking classes with kaplan, but after reading ur reviews i feel it wud be better i wud concentrate on self studying rather than wasting my time these classes....

also i wud like to know what all material u used for ur prepartion.....and how was the whole exam????.....was it really as tough as everybody nowadays are saying???

I felt my preparation wasnt up to the mark 'coz I was over confident. I'm retaking it shortly. The exam was a little tricky. I felt i did well at the end of the exam, may be 'coz i was counting the # of question i might have got right instead of considering the simpleness or the difficulty of the question. All the subjects/topics are mixed up. Its not like, u finish answering questions from anatomy first and then the next subject and then the next and so on, like it used to be before. so u cant stream line ur mind to one subject, like when u r solving old question papers. I didnt find any repeat questions. difficult questions have more score's alloted to them comared to easier questions. The highest score a question can have is 3. so if u r answering a lot of easy questions and even though u have answered it right, u r not getting anywhere/ arent scoring a lot. this was what i was told when i called the Joint commision on natioanl boards. Its more or less like GRE scoring now. the computer adjusts itself based on the difficulty of the questions u r answering. if u answer a simple question, the computer will increase it difficulty level, if u answer that right, then the level increases again.
I would suggest u do a lot a question papers, kaplan notes, decks and 1 or 2 of those simulated nbde exams and do them as many times as possible. more the better.every little topic and informatiom is important. I didnt do all of this, but this is what others who have got great scores have done.

Plz We need guidance regarding joining kaplan for part 2 prep, is it worth it and which one to go for ,on campus or on line?
hi all, can any one give advice or share their experience/knowledge of NBDE part 2 kaplan. guys what do you think what should i study for preparation? your advice/experience share is very appreciated...thanks..:luck: