kaplan full length score indicative of real thing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sotired

sotired
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've been studying and the HIGHEST i've gotten on a practice in one sitting has been a 28 (10PS 8VR 10BS). this week i've ranged from a 26-28. it's hard not to be discouraged. i'm taking in august, and i feel like i keep running out of time during the physical sciences section (especially today - kaplan full length 3) . any suggestions in terms of highering my score and not running out of time, especially during physical sciences?

also, to those who've already taken it, are the kaplan full lengths accurate in predicting the real thing? if so, are the later ones (kaplan FL 4 &5 more indicative)?

Members don't see this ad.

sotired said:
i've been studying and the HIGHEST i've gotten on a practice in one sitting has been a 28 (10PS 8VR 10BS). this week i've ranged from a 26-28. it's hard not to be discouraged. i'm taking in august, and i feel like i keep running out of time during the physical sciences section (especially today - kaplan full length 3) . any suggestions in terms of highering my score and not running out of time, especially during physical sciences?

also, to those who've already taken it, are the kaplan full lengths accurate in predicting the real thing? if so, are the later ones (kaplan FL 4 &5 more indicative)?

it is hard to say...I was scoring 30's on Kaplan 4 and 5 and I got a 28..( verbal was the killer 7 :( ) so try other verbals. A 10 in kaplan verbal usually means an 8 or 9 on real deal ( usually) phys sci and bio are pretty close to real

For me the full-lengths ended up being a pretty good predictor of all the sections. However, don't worry about all that nonsense. If you're scoring in the upper 20's on Kaplans, you are ready for the real thing. Just go in with the mindset that you will pour all of your energy into the test- crawl out at the end of Biological Sciences with a smile on your face, knowing that you could not have worked any harder.
You're gonna rock this thing!

sotired said:

I found kaplans physical sciences to be much much more time consuming than the real thing. But the scores were about the same....I'd just finish on kaplan and i'd have 15 min to go back when i took aamc tests, but the scores only varied by a point or two.

For the overall score, my acutal test was higher than my highest kaplan test by four points, but i did a lot of studying the week before....

Members don't see this ad :)
I am getting discouraged too...I've gone from a 27 to a 31 and then today I think I got a 24....should I start to freak out??

mycurlyearly said:
I am getting discouraged too...I've gone from a 27 to a 31 and then today I think I got a 24....should I start to freak out??

31 to 24...were the circumstances the same or did you stay up late or something the night before? if you can pin point something to control so that you test better that may be good

aamc full lengths are much better predictor of the real mcat..for tke kaplan fl, u can get a lot of questiosn wrong in PS, and VR but still get a decent score which is not true for the aamc tests.

leahmaria said:
I found kaplans physical sciences to be much much more time consuming than the real thing. But the scores were about the same....I'd just finish on kaplan and i'd have 15 min to go back when i took aamc tests, but the scores only varied by a point or two.

For the overall score, my acutal test was higher than my highest kaplan test by four points, but i did a lot of studying the week before....

what is the best of studying to improve a score like that? taking as many practice tests as possible?

My Kaplan FL scores were indicative for all three sections of the real MCAT.

leahmaria said:
31 to 24...were the circumstances the same or did you stay up late or something the night before? if you can pin point something to control so that you test better that may be good

Yeah, I had a really bad night and morning...but how much does having a "bad day" reflect in your score? it can't make that much of a difference right?

my highest kaplan score was a 34, twice (on full lengths 2 and 3). other scores were 29 (FL 1), 31 (FL 4 while sick), and 32 (FL 5). i got a 35 on the real thing, to my surprise.

When I was prepping a year and a half ago, I was scoring between 28 and 30 on my practice tests. I got a balanced 31. Assuming you don't get a killer section, or have some catastrophic incident during the test, you should score 1 to 2 points better than you KAPLANs

I took FL 1 and 5, and both have some killer curves on them. I did decent (slightly above 30), but I would really like to get it up there, seeing as I am applying this cycle.

I guess what I'm saying is that my "Estimate Acutal Score" is decent, but my raw scores are not (due to the mad curve).

Any other thoughts on this?

21 on the half-length diagnostic at Kaplan
27 on TPR diagnostic (took it halfway through the Kaplan course)
31-33 on Kaplan and AAMC practice tests
33 on the real deal

Somehow, managed to achieve best performance on the actual test date. :)

FL1 - 34
2 - 36
3 - 38
4 - 34
AAMC 8 - 38

After getting back FL#4, I have no idea what to think anymore...I didn't expect such a drastic drop :(

I also have a question related to kaplan and the real deal-

I swear the only biology tested by Kaplan BS sections are 1) hemoglobin, 2) the kidneys, and 3) hormones...and sometimes action potentials. And it's that way on every full-legth. Is the actual mcat more balanced in the biology they test? It would be nice to see some genetics or something other than kaplan's love affair with the nephron.....