Kaplan High Yield vs DIT, plus general approach questions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FlyingShamu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first post here. I see other threads about these two resources, which I have read, but was hoping I could get more specifics on them both in one place.

DIT is very popular at my school and seems to be what everyone is going with. However, I was actually surprised by the Kaplan presentation and am considering going with their High Yield course but am just hesitant because I have not heard that much about it. I didn't know it was "new" until now-- is this its first year? Has anyone used it before?

I am not sure what is best for me. I am definitely a weaker student and am very nervous about boards. I also have access to last year's DIT videos so I was thinking of buying Kaplan and also using the old DITs. What is pushing me towards Kaplan is that I get ALL of the materials now until I take the test (June) and that it comes with a qbank. I just can't shake the leery feeling, though, that I get from not having heard a lot about it from peers.

What do you guys think? Opinions on either course? Does anyone have experience with both?
And what, specifically, do the weaker students find most success with? I'd say I barely survived first year, and am doing about class average this year.

THANKS for any help, insight, opinions that you might have!! (And happy new year!)

Members don't see this ad.

DIT is very popular at my school as well. With this popularity has come generally negative reviews to the point of of "if you need structure, DIT is for you, but if you are driven enough to study for yourself, DIT is a waste of money."

With that being said, DIT is really good for those who need a specific schedule to go through FA at least 3 times. If you're able to go through FA at least 3 times on your own, I don't think DIT is a good use of your money.

Kaplan High Yield, in my opinion, would be a good use of money since you can start using everything immediately. Especially since you say that you are nervous about boards, at least with Kaplan you can start your studying now. I'm sure their high yield segment is indeed high yield, and having their QBank now will enable you go through it at least twice before the exam.

FYI: I believe the Kaplan High Yield videos cover high yield topics but are not necessarily comprehensive (in other words, do not cover every subject or topic which a full course may do). I think someone told me there is no Embryo and little Pharm for instance in their videos, it is mostly Phys & Path.

FYI: I believe the Kaplan High Yield videos cover high yield topics but are not necessarily comprehensive (in other words, do not cover every subject or topic which a full course may do). I think someone told me there is no Embryo and little Pharm for instance in their videos, it is mostly Phys & Path.

I'm lucky enough to have been given a free version of the high yield. Some parts of it are little more than restating first aid, but mad props on the biochem stuff so far.