Kaplan MCAT subject books for DAT? (And other materials)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

capenn16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to gather materials so I can study for the DAT in the spring. A friend gave me some of her Kaplan MCAT subject review books, and I was wondering if they would be helpful/if anyone has done this before? I am planning on using them for general chemistry and organic chemistry review specifically.

Also, here's the breakdown of my study materials (got them from friends, plus suggestions from reading through SDN).
  • CliffsAP Biology 3rd Ed.
  • Feralis Biology
  • DAT Destroyer
  • Math Destroyer
  • Crack DAT PAT
  • Kaplan MCAT subject review books for orgo, gen chem, and biology
  • Planning on using Chad's videos and possibly DAT Bootcamp
Any other suggestions as far as materials go?

Members don't see this ad.

Skip crack dat PAT and get dat genius and dat bootcamp.

Only use kaplan books if you already have them (ie. free). Otherwise, use cliffs/ferralis for bio and chads for orgo / chem. Then use Genius & Bootcamp to practice and learn more sciences and pat/rc/qr.

Reactions: 1 users
Awesome, thanks for the advice. The Kaplan books were free, but I will probably only use them to supplement/as reference for Cliffs and Feralis. I really like Bootcamp from what I've seen, and will look into genius.

Is there a reason you don't recommend Crack DAT PAT?
Skip crack dat PAT and get dat genius and dat bootcamp.

Only use kaplan books if you already have them (ie. free). Otherwise, use cliffs/ferralis for bio and chads for orgo / chem. Then use Genius & Bootcamp to practice and learn more sciences and pat/rc/qr.

Dat Genius and DG are better value than Crack PAT. You'll get enough practice with PAT using both DG and BC. Also, I would say they're the best practice for PAT and all that you need (plus you get the other sections!). I would avoid using kaplan. The book isn't tailored for the test. The material I would say is alright.. but nothing beats your college textbooks for references. If you want more depth to the bio I would consider using campbell biology (the slides for the book can be found online too!). DatGenius bio explanations are really detailed and fantastic! Sounds like you have a pretty good set of study materials planned out already.

Reactions: 1 user
Pretty much exactly what Graffix said. Crack DAT isn't a good value compared to other products, and its simply not as good.

Awesome, thanks for the advice. The Kaplan books were free, but I will probably only use them to supplement/as reference for Cliffs and Feralis. I really like Bootcamp from what I've seen, and will look into genius.

Is there a reason you don't recommend Crack DAT PAT?