Kaplan Online Prep for Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BBDoc73

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
as a not so recent graduate from a european medical school (graduated 10 years ago and also finished my residency program in anesthesiology 4 years ago) I am planning to sit step 1 at the end of 2011. Browsing through programs I stumbled upon Kaplan Online Prep. I was wondering whether someone did it and can tell me if it is really worth it (quite some money). I am also looking to find the best resources available to pass this exam.As everyone here ( I think) my goal is not to merely pass it, but to ace it! Thanks everyone for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Can't say if it is worth the money, but it is the most comprehensive prep corse out there. It really is the closest thing to going through the first two years of med school again. It takes a considerable amount of time to watch all the videos (but some you can skip, I hated the micro videos, but loved the Pharm so I am going to watch those twice). If you read all the books and do all the Q banks (Physio, IV, and Regular) you'll be ready for the test. Ideally, I would do the Kaplan Online Prep, finish it 1-2 months before your test, then just do UWorld twice and read first aid a few times.

Maybe before you decide you should take a practice test to gauge how much you still know. If you do well, then forget Kaplan's prep and just do a couple Q banks (Kaplan, USLMErx, UWorld).

I often wonder how well my attending would do on STEP 1 if they had to take it again...

Disclosure Statement: I haven't taken the exam yet, but am doing really well on practice test and the Kaplan videos prepare me for my school's test better than my professors' lectures. It does take up a vast amount of time though (I would guess it would take 2.5-3.5 months of dedicated time (40 hr/week) just to get through once, but you can cut a lot out that you know or feel is low yeild).

So for micro, do you think it's better going through CMMRS? Or are the lecture notes good without the lecturer adding stuff?

I'm only using the videos to supplement areas I'm weak in, definitely not watching all of them (probably only biochem, physio, pharm...unless someone recommends any others).

I've heard the path is good...but I haven't done it yet so I can't personally attest to that. I plan on doing pharm here pretty soon, hopefully it is a worthwhile review!

So for micro, do you think it's better going through CMMRS? Or are the lecture notes good without the lecturer adding stuff?

I'm only using the videos to supplement areas I'm weak in, definitely not watching all of them (probably only biochem, physio, pharm...unless someone recommends any others).

For micro (I think I am in the minority here on SDN), but I really like Lippincott's Illustrated Review Micro:

http://www.amazon.com/Lippincotts-Illustrated-Reviews-William-Strohl/dp/0397515685

I have both and have read most of both, but use Lippincott's to refer back to and relearn topics. I like it because it is shorter than CMMRS and I like pictures of the real disease states / bugs over cartoons. Also, I am the type of person that just blunt memorizes things instead of mnemonics. Kaplan's notes are just okay, both of the books listen above are better.