Kaplan PCAT Test Prep Course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PeruvianLilies

PeruvianLilies
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi - I was wondering if anybody has taken any of Kaplan's PCAT test prep courses (Classroom On-Site or Classroom Anywhere (online)) and has any insight into how helpful or useful it had been?

I've taken the PCAT several times and I am really struggling to walk away with a decent composite score. I've studied using many versions of Kaplan's PCAT study book as well as Barron's and Cliff's Notes. I am a graduate and thus I have taken biology, chemistry, organic chemistry, anatomy and physiology, etc.

I plan to take the PCAT once more in January 2013 and I am considering enrolling in Kaplan's Classroom Anywhere course (on-site is not available in my area) as well as purchasing the study materials from Dr. Collins (which seems to be highly regarded here in the forums) and the Princeton Review study book.

Lastly, could anybody weigh in on the best time to take a prep corse? Kaplan has a course that ends on the 7th of January and I was going to schedule my test date for the 8th, however I didn't know if it would be a good idea to take a prep course right up until the PCAT. The other option is the course that ends on December 22nd which would give me about a 2 week break before the scheduled test date in January.

I appreciate all the help and suggestions and I apologize for such a lengthy post.

Members don't see this ad.

If you are in an area with the Dr. Collins PCAT course, I would highly suggest you take that over the Kaplan. I took the course in August and the PCAT in September and there were questions VERBATIM on the PCAT as what we went over in class. I feel like the Kaplan coarse wouldn't do that.
Long story short, I took the PCAT one time missing several required classes and scored a 79%comp with an 89% in bio and a 91% in Chem.

I wouldn't take the Kaplan course if the curriculum that they set out for you is similar to the 2012-2013 Kaplan PCAT book (which I'm assuming). Some aspects of chemistry that Kaplan teaches was not found in the official PCAT blueprints and the bio section is just way off in that they talk about non-human biology in huge detail. The math section wasn't very sufficient in calculus and only god knows how to truly "study" for the RC and VA sections.

Overall, that Kaplan book was a waste of $20 for me. I got a ton more out of the Dr. Collins self-study course, my lower/upper division bio, chem and physio classes, and the official Pearson PCAT practice tests.

Thank you so much for that info.

I'm not in an area that offers the Dr. Collins prep course but I think I am definitely going to purchase his study materials.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't take the Kaplan course if the curriculum that they set out for you is similar to the 2012-2013 Kaplan PCAT book (which I'm assuming). Some aspects of chemistry that Kaplan teaches was not found in the official PCAT blueprints and the bio section is just way off in that they talk about non-human biology in huge detail. The math section wasn't very sufficient in calculus and only god knows how to truly "study" for the RC and VA sections.

Overall, that Kaplan book was a waste of $20 for me. I got a ton more out of the Dr. Collins self-study course, my lower/upper division bio, chem and physio classes, and the official Pearson PCAT practice tests.
Thanks a lot, I appreciate your input. I have some Kaplan's book from 3 different years. I, too, purchased the 3 official PCAT practice tests and I was surprised to find 2 of the questions actually appeared on the PCAT I took on September 26th.

Kaplan book was a waste of $20 for me too. Studied from Dr.Collins and it was great except for the RC part, it is way too easy compared to actual PCAT.

Kaplan book was a waste of $20 for me too. Studied from Dr.Collins and it was great except for the RC part, it is way too easy compared to actual PCAT.

I agree with the piss-poor RC section. Collins bio (I do not have the current bio update) is a great resource to use as a skeleton for what you should be studying, but nothing more. Chemistry is the bomb and I am an enormous proponent for people using Collins chemistry to do well on the actual PCAT. As for VA, I didn't even look at that because it wasn't time-efficient for me to memorize a couple hundred words and have only a handful, or none, show up on test day. QA was meh; I went gung-ho on chem and bio so I didn't look at that section much at all.

You guys are truly so awesome and I thank you for your responses and input!

I live in the San Diego area and since the Dr. Collins course is only 4 days (Friday-Monday), I went ahead and registered for his class. I'll be flying to Vegas for that weekend to take the course and I'm excited, especially given what I've been reading here in the forums and everyone's feedback.

If anyone else reading this thread is attending the Dr. Collins prep course in Vegas, I think it'd be great if we could band together and study. Please let me know! :)

I seriously can't thank you guys enough and I'm excited to try my hand at the PCAT once more this upcoming January. :luck: