Kaplan Practice Test Scores vs Actual DAT Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Naruto's Molar

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took the DAT yesterday and wanted to talk through some of the resources I used and how my practice scores compared to my actual score.

I used the self-paced Kaplan course throughout the summer, and about halfway through studying, I started to use the DAT Destroyer. For the last couple of weeks leading up to the test, my friend (who used Bootcamp) and I studied together so we could get exposure to different problem types.

Kaplan was harder than the actual DAT in essentially every aspect except for angle ranking and hole punching in my experience. Most notably, Kaplan's QR was significantly harder for me, and I ran out of time with about five problems left on every practice test, but I wasn’t short on time for the actual test. DAT Destroyer offers great practice problems to do once you've established a foundation and Dr. Romano's videos on youtube made a huge difference in my OC and GC studying.

Also, my Kaplan scores were consistently lower than my actual scores. I mostly wanted to share my scores because I was super nervous going into the DAT, but I think Kaplan just underestimates your score to push you to study harder or to ensure that you won't get lower on the actual test? Before the test, I kept looking for people on here that did better on the actual test than the practice tests to give me some hope lol.

If I could have changed one thing about the way I studied, I would have utilized DAT Destroyer more. I got through a lot of it but ran out of time. I initially planned to finish it and review it, which I think would have helped a lot. The O chem roadmaps and reactions from Destroyer were also a great help.

Practice Tests:
Bio: 17, 18, 18, 18, 15, 18, 20
GC: 14, 19, 17, 17, 17, 18, 21
OC: 13, 19, 18, 22, 20, 27, 19
TS: 15, 19, 17, 19, 17, 21, 20

PAT: 15, 17, 18, 19, 20, 18, 20
RC: 17, 23, 22, 20, 19, 15, 20
QR: 14, 15, 15, 15, 16, 15, 14

AA: 15, - , 18, 18, 17, 19, 19

(My o chem section glitched out for my second test so I just redid that section and didn't get an AA)

Actual DAT:
Bio: 21
GC: 26
OC: 22
TS: 22

PAT: 21
RC: 18
QR: 24

AA: 22

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey there! Those scores look awesome! I am prepping in a very similar way. I am using the Kaplan course and have the DAT Destroyer books as well. Those guys are thick. My plan is to take the DAT in May. When do you think I should start the DAT Destroyer books?

Hey there! Those scores look awesome! I am prepping in a very similar way. I am using the Kaplan course and have the DAT Destroyer books as well. Those guys are thick. My plan is to take the DAT in May. When do you think I should start the DAT Destroyer books?
Hi Collin,

I love your description of the DAT Destroyer books, yes they are thick, never heard them described like that before but that is indeed true. A mistake students make is waiting too long to get to the Destroyer, make the Destroyer your friend, don't be afraid to jump right in.You could start the Bio now, that is a huge section and break it down into manageable question sets. If you have a decent foundation you can dive it right now, the Destroyer will quickly flush out any weaknesses that you need to focus on. The most important thing is to get through ALL the work, the Destroyer is challenging but so is the DAT, know the concepts. Our work is for the student looking for high scores and it is quite possible if you put in the work, not short cuts to a high DAT score..#think30

Nancy, co/owner, DAT Destroyer

I think it's best to get started with them as soon as you think you're ready! The goal is to go through the books at least twice at bare minimum to make sure you understand each question and solution, but the more times you go through the better. It takes a good amount of time to make it through each of the sections on the initial walkthrough, so starting sooner rather than later is always a good idea.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't get the individual books so I'm not entirely sure about what the timeline would be for finishing all of them. I would say for gen chem and o chem, watch DAT destroyers youtube videos and learn their roadmaps asap and supplement them with Kaplan and destroyer problems. For bio, I'd get a foundation by reading the Kaplan bio sections then dive into the destroyer problems (destroyer bio was pretty overwhelming for me at first cause I didn't remember much from the bio classes I took).

Like @ChemistryDentist said, it will take a while for you to get through each section so I'd start them as soon as you feel like you are ready. My main regret is not getting through the destroyer book entirely. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user