Kaplan/Princeton questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DaveinDallas

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Well, it's time for me to start choosing which review course to take, Princeton (TPR) or Kaplan.

So, I call both today and here are my first impressions:

Kaplan:

Seemed professional - I was routed through to a graduate advisor who spent about 20 minutes on the phone describing the review class, actually took my name and email and forwarded some things to me for my perusal.

Course seems to be a high level review of concepts. Standardized at all locations, available online if you miss one. You've got time between class sessions to study and you can then use your class time to clear up areas of ambiguity.

TPR:

Felt like I was calling an 800 number to order TimeLife books. Not a good professional feel at all. Didn't bother to get my name/contact info. When I asked questions, the answers came back at me at about 1.5 times the receiveable data rate. There was no expansion on questions, just "Here's the answer".

The course seems to be teaching you the subject from the ground up with an eye towards the MCAT. This program is 4 days a week for 3.5 hours and I'm wondering how you do outside study during that time. It does have a payment plan which is good but I'm just not sure.

My situation: Most of my prereqs were within the last two years (all A's) but at community colleges. My physics I and II were from 19 years ago (B and C respectively). In my recent coursework, I learned the material by reading the book and digging into it myself. When I had questions, I asked the instructor but found that I needed time to sit down with the material myself, rather than just listen in class. I guess I get bored easy and tended to zone out in class.

Anyway, if anyone has taken either the TPR or Kaplan, would you mind sharing your views on the course and any input on which might be a better fit for me?

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, I'm a *****. I posted the other Kaplan/Princeton thread last night and the PC started locking up. Today, I posted the thread after assuming (I know, I know) it didn't take last night. Well it did. Please ignore this one. I'm trying to email the moderator to delete this puppy.