Kaplan PS Section Test 2 #51

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

steelersfan1243

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1M NaOH is added to a solution containing 1m Ag+, 1M Al3+, 1M Mg2+, and 1M Mn2+. Given the solubility data shown below which of the following will precipitate first?
Ksp values:
AgOH 1.5x10-8
Al(OH)3 3.7x10-15
Mg(OH)2 1.2x10-11
Mn(OH)2 2.0x10-13

I calculated the molar solubility of each one and got Mg(OH)2 as the lowest, but the answer is A?

Any help would be appreciated, please and thank you.

EDIT: Changed in reference to azor ahai's comment
 
Last edited:
op, it is very unlikely the MgOH2 has the lowest molar solubility because you are dividing the KSP by 3 molecules so (x)(2x)2 vs the AgOH you are dividing by 2 molecules (x)(x) = you are comparing 10-3 vs 10-4.
 
Hmm, so let me explain my work then, I did this with a calculator just to save time, just to make sure the numbers were right:

AgOH-x2
Al(OH)3-27x4
MG(OH)2-4x3
Mn(OH)2-4x3

The molar solubilities I get are respectively 1,22E-4, 9.13E-6, 5.72E-5, and 1.46E-5. So this time I am getting B as the answer. I dont know if you're suppose to multiply by the given hydroxides in each compound, but still cant get A as an answer?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
(shorthand for the compounds)

Solubility of the hydroxides:

Ag = 1.2 e-4
Al = 1.08 e-4
Mg = 1.44 e-4
Mn = 3.68 e-5

I say the answer is Mn(OH)2.

I guess that doesn't fit your answer scheme but I am pretty sure I did the math right and Mn(II) hydroxide would be the least soluble and precipitate first.

Sorry.
 
Okay so I took another look at Kaplan's explanation and they are saying since the concentration of each metal M=1 molar the equilibrium equation reduces to Ksp=[OH]n, thus the saturation concentration of hydroxide ion in each case is [OH]=asqrtKsp

Why does this give a different answer than molar solubility?