Kaplan qbank average

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tarsuc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There seems to be a similar thread for both uworld and rx.

Just started doing kaplan qbank, and i like it so far.

Could people who have been through this qbank, post some details? maybe your overall percentage? and how did it tally with the real score, in case youre done? or uworld percentage in case youre not?

Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
IMG. Overall percentage 77%, self-assessment 1 77% 3 months before exam. NBME 12 right after qbank completion 600/249. Real deal 254.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
IMG. Overall percentage 77%, self-assessment 1 77% 3 months before exam. NBME 12 right after qbank completion 600/249. Real deal 254.

Do you think doing kaplan contributed to your real deal or doing one more time uworld would have better results?

Can't decide add or not to add kaplan to my banks, because i saw so many posts about the low yieldness of kaplan bank related to uworld. The one idea was to do weak subjects in kaplan after doing uworld. For example if I was weak at behavioral or micro I would do kaplan micro + behavioral but not the whole bank. What's your opinion folks about this. Do subjectwise kaplan or rush the whole bank? Thank you.

Do you think doing kaplan contributed to your real deal or doing one more time uworld would have better results?

Can't decide add or not to add kaplan to my banks, because i saw so many posts about the low yieldness of kaplan bank related to uworld. The one idea was to do weak subjects in kaplan after doing uworld. For example if I was weak at behavioral or micro I would do kaplan micro + behavioral but not the whole bank. What's your opinion folks about this. Do subjectwise kaplan or rush the whole bank? Thank you.

If I could change my preparation I would do Kaplan Qbank first, than Uworld. Explanations in Uworld are better written and contain a lot of pictures and tables, which helps to clarify concepts and memorize things. In the beginning of my studies, I decided that using a single Qbank would be enough for achieving my goal. After completing Uworld for the first time, I redid my wrong questions and I remembered answers to 80% of them. I didn't feel like redoing the whole bank again would help me a lot. I switched to Kaplan, and I believe it was the right thing to do. IMO there is a definite number of high yield concepts that is tested on Step 1, and they affect your score the most. However, the same concept could be asked from a different angle. That's why I think doing different questions is better than repeating the same questions. And one more "pearl of wisdom" from me. If you think that you are weak in some subjects, it is better to read a book than doing countless questions. I feel like one should get fundamentals from books not from questions.

If I could change my preparation I would do Kaplan Qbank first, than Uworld. Explanations in Uworld are better written and contain a lot of pictures and tables, which helps to clarify concepts and memorize things. In the beginning of my studies, I decided that using a single Qbank would be enough for achieving my goal. After completing Uworld for the first time, I redid my wrong questions and I remembered answers to 80% of them. I didn't feel like redoing the whole bank again would help me a lot. I switched to Kaplan, and I believe it was the right thing to do. IMO there is a definite number of high yield concepts that is tested on Step 1, and they affect your score the most. However, the same concept could be asked from a different angle. That's why I think doing different questions is better than repeating the same questions. And one more "pearl of wisdom" from me. If you think that you are weak in some subjects, it is better to read a book than doing countless questions. I feel like one should get fundamentals from books not from questions.

Thank you for a thorough expalanation, thank you for your time spent. You seem to have an outstanding memory if you managed to remember the answers for 80% questions that is around 2000 questions, it is superb. From my own I don't posses so strong long term memory )

doing new questions is better than doing the same bank again

I just finished kaplan q bank, getting flustered with at least half their questions. Recently just switched to uworld, and it is 5000x times better. Never believed all the uworld hype until now.

With that said, kaplan was definitely good to at least get done before starting uworld....more practice with some of the fundamental concepts

Yeah I'll echo the sentiment of UW >>>> Kaplan. I finished Kaplan along with system courses throughout 1st and 2nd year. I think it was a good starting point to get accustomed to how board questions are written, what types of things might be asked, etc. But I definitely wouldn't only do Kaplan, and I definitely wouldn't do it more than once. Move on to Rx after that (which is also easier than UW) depending on how far out from test day you are. If you're within a month or two from boards, I'd guess that UW is your best bet by far. The questions are such a higher level than Kaplan/Rx and make you dig deeper for the correct answer. Plus they provide top notch explanations that blow any other q bank out of the water.

I finished Kaplan along with courses (64% overall), Rx all random, timed sessions (74% overall), and now I'm on UW (68% average now, but I've only done 200qs, so take that for what it's worth).

Yeah I'll echo the sentiment of UW >>>> Kaplan. I finished Kaplan along with system courses throughout 1st and 2nd year. I think it was a good starting point to get accustomed to how board questions are written, what types of things might be asked, etc. But I definitely wouldn't only do Kaplan, and I definitely wouldn't do it more than once. Move on to Rx after that (which is also easier than UW) depending on how far out from test day you are. If you're within a month or two from boards, I'd guess that UW is your best bet by far. The questions are such a higher level than Kaplan/Rx and make you dig deeper for the correct answer. Plus they provide top notch explanations that blow any other q bank out of the water.

I finished Kaplan along with courses (64% overall), Rx all random, timed sessions (74% overall), and now I'm on UW (68% average now, but I've only done 200qs, so take that for what it's worth).

Are you finding UW easier than Kaplan?

Are you finding UW easier than Kaplan?
Not even close. UW is in a league of its own. My average is only higher because I did Kaplan along with systems when I had covered much less material than I have now.

Kaplan and Rx soft toss you a fair number of questions, but UW really makes you dig for the answer. Rarely is the answer blatantly apparent unless you are very familiar with a topic.