Kaplan Verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigRedStress

AMEX Black
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Kaplan Verbal section exams... How close are they to the difficulty of the actual MCAT? I just took Verbal 10 and 11. 10 wasn't too bad. 11 was really really hard - i mean the passages were so dense and hard to understand. I usually don't have trouble with the passages more so than with the questions, but verbal 11 kicked my ass - my worst score to date (maybe I was tired cause I took it right after taking verbal 10) but still... it scared the sh-t out of me! I don't know what to do... I do about 4 passages every morning before classes and review what I do wrong and have done 11 verbal sections yet, I'm still getting around 18 wrong. Argh, the exam is 5 weeks away, someone help

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, funny thing. I just took Test 11 at the Center. I did horrendous. I think I am in the same boat as you because I typically get from 18-22 wrong on the other section tests but this one, along with, I think three (which had all humanities and social sciences) were my two worst ones. When I started reading about the author talking about the philosophy of punctuation, I knew I was done. Anyway, I think you shouldn't worry too much because these are supposed to be the most challenging passeges, and it is better to see this stuff now rather than never see it and walk into the MCAT practicing easy passages. Besides, the MCAT is a curve. I crushed the SAT verbal but the MCAT is hard as hell. Anyway, just hope there is a curve and you wont see any passages about the philosphy of punctuation, or the philosphy of editing.

Having gone through Kaplan, I can say that those tests were harder than the actual MCAT. I remember bombing those verbal tests, yet performed well on the full-lengths and pretty well on the actual. Just hang in there and keep it up...it'll pay off in the end!

me ke aloha pumehana

whew! I thought I was the only one in this boat! I totally agress, Verbal 3 was the only other one that was just insane. I can't get off of this 18-20 wrong hump for some reason. I took Kap full length 1 and got a 7, but since then I've been doing a lot more practice and I think (thought) I am improving, butthese tests just brought my sense of security back to zero! Maybe if there were people like us in this boat from last year, they can tell us what they did differently? and whether they really took these verbal sention exams to heart? man, I'm gonna go review 11 tomorrow again real slowly. this sucks.