Kaplan vs. Examkrackers vs. Princeton Review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hnbui

Addicted to Yale Med
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In your honest opinion, which of the three is the best? Which should i invest my money in. I went to the book store today and saw both the kaplan and princetone review mcat books. the kaplan book was by far bigger. Is it safe to say that the kaplan has more review information? I did not see any examkrackers books.

So which of the three is the best for preparation for the mcat?

Members don't see this ad.

There have been about 83 gabillion threads on this topic. Do a thread search.

Now it's 83 gabillion and 1.

I thought Princeton Review was better than Kaplan, but I honestly think it comes down to individual preferences. Go to a book store and check out the review material. I'm not familiar with exam krackers, but apparently they do an okay job too.

hnbui said:
In your honest opinion, which of the three is the best? Which should i invest my money in. I went to the book store today and saw both the kaplan and princetone review mcat books. the kaplan book was by far bigger. Is it safe to say that the kaplan has more review information? I did not see any examkrackers books.

So which of the three is the best for preparation for the mcat?

There was a thread about this not long ago concerning TPR and Kaplan. I don't feel like rehashing that, but I will tell you that the TPR book in the book store is not the same as the course materials at all. You can't buy the TPR course books as far as I know. The Kaplan course review notes are about the same as the Comprehensive Review you can find in stores.

Members don't see this ad :)
MoosePilot said:
Do a search. ExamKrackers seems to get the most nods for self study.

okay thank you.

does anyone have a sugeestion for when i should start to prep for the mcat?

hnbui said:
okay thank you.

does anyone have a sugeestion for when i should start to prep for the mcat?

If you're still in school, learn the stuff in your classes well the first time so you have a good foundation once you start to review. Three months before the test start hardcore prep. If you're going to take a class, pick one four or five months out because they usually start three to four months ahead of the MCAT.

I've also heard that Examkrackers doesn't cover all the details though. Not sure how accurate that is, though. Just don't get the TPR Flower and Silvers book because I heard it wasn't very good.

how's this for a study plan.

BTw sorry if i annoyed anyone here with my original question. :D

I will buy the examcracker complete mcat package and then prep with that and study more indepth w/ my textbooks. If i find that i need more practice i will buy one of examcrackers 1,001 series book. If i have money and time left, i will buy the kaplan book and review it.

Does that sound like a good plan? :thumbup: or :thumbdown: ?

I took PR the first time. This time I'm using the BR class and EK books.

I'd recommend BR materials above the other two, but unless you are in LA or Berkeley, you can't take their course. The class materials are excellent and give the best test suggestions of anything I've seen.

EK books are good and present things in a memorable way. I like their mnemonics and visuals. What I don't like is that their questions are not that great and their answer explanations are way too short.

I didn't get much out of my PR materials, because they emphasized memorization. I went along with their approach and it backfired on the real exam. You have to be able to apply what you know.

What I like about BR materials is that they emphasize how to think and problem solve. Their basic premise is that most questions require taking a simple concept and looking at it in a slightly different way than normal.

Although it's different for everyone, this works great for my style of learning.

I took PR the first time. This time I'm using the BR class and EK books.

I'd recommend BR materials above the other two, but unless you are in LA or Berkeley, you can't take their course. The class materials are excellent and give the best test suggestions of anything I've seen.

EK books are good and present things in a memorable way. I like their mnemonics and visuals. What I don't like is that their questions are not that great and their answer explanations are way too short.

I didn't get much out of my PR materials, because they emphasized memorization. I went along with their approach and it backfired on the real exam. You have to be able to apply what you know.

What I like about BR materials is that they emphasize how to think and problem solve. Their basic premise is that most questions require taking a simple concept and looking at it in a slightly different way than normal.

Although it's different for everyone, this works great for my style of learning.
What is BR??