Kaplan vs Princeton Review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iliketosleep

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just decided to take the MCAT in April instead of August, so I need to scramble to get in a review course. What are people's experiences with Kaplan vs TPR? Did anyone have a horrible experience? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

A couple words. First, there are several threads that go into detail about this topic which you can find if you search the forum. They are long and usually give the pros and cons of both methods, leading one to believe that they are equal as long as you work hard. However, since I am an MCAT instructor for TPR I will give you my abbreviated pitch. TPR is better because you can take all of the materials home with you instead of having to go to a test bank, you get 1 on 1 help with your instructor if you need it (unlimited)rather than a video tape, and the TPR Diags are better (IMHO) than the Kaplan materials, and BTW the 'P' in TPR stands for Princeton, not Peterson.

As previously stated, there are NUMEROUSposts on this subject, just do a search. I have read alot of them myself mostly when I was deciding which prep course to take for myslef. After reviewing the hundreds of comments on several different websites I have decided to take TPR. It seemed to be the most popular choice especially from people who have taken both TPR and KAPLAN. If you do the research I think you will find the same thing. Good Luck. (I start TPR Jan. 19)

newfocus out~

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info! Next time I will do a search before I ask!!

i assume the original poster is busy reading other threads, but just to log my vote - go KAPLAN! it worked for me. i actually think that TPR is probably a little 'smarter' - closer to mini-versions of the classes you'd take in college. i teach kaplan and agree that an orgo professor would probably cry if he saw what we did to his subject. WHICH IS - that we have cut it down to the bare minimum of tricks and concepts. i did all kaplan and only kaplan for a summer before taking the august exam. it worked for me. i got a 33S, which is pretty good if you consider that i'm an english major who had majorly flaked on science classes for four years.

I don't know much about Kaplan but I checked out their review book and discovered that important stuff was missing. As opposed to TPR which condenses it's material, it seems that Kaplan merely ripped out pages randomly from a regular textbook. The stuff is easy to read but makes little sense because of the missing vitals; it's too discontinuous and doesn't convey the concepts as one unified story.

o.k it will be unfair for me to avoid mentioning that I teach for PR ;) . Do more reseach on the subject. TPR provides you with ALL you need, while Kaplan falls slightly short of that.

After all this propaganda I think I deserve a raise.

I beg to differ. :D :D
Just my two cents--I have read both the Princeton Material and kaplan, and find kaplan MUCH more interactive with the student. It keeps you engaged, and the teachers keep you motivated (could just be MY city's kaplan that's nice). I have heard tons of horror stories about TPR in my city, which I don't care to recant. My suggestion to you is to check out the atmosphere in both centers. See the personnell; look at the books, and see which format you like better. Be EXTREMELY picky! This is 1300 dollars of YOUR EDUCATION that you could eventually put into medical school. YOu want your money to talk for you, and be able to get any and every help you can for that amount of money.

My personal preference with Kaplan had to do with the formats of their book, and how well the material is divided between each lecture. THE MATERIAL IS THE SAME!!! Also, I didn't favor having to carry a 1000 pound TPR book where ever I went. Kaplan's material is well spaced between each book (this was important to me since I have 16 hour days and I don't want fatigue from hauling a book affecting me throughout). I have read and studied from both, Kaplan and Princeton. Kaplan's tests are a bit harder, which may be good cuz it makes you set a higher goal for yourself. We have frequent conferrences; speakers; email lists; extra help whenever we need it. Anyway, enough rambling, but I thouht I might put in my vote for Kaplan, since nobody else did.
My best wishes to you.

Tweetie
PS: not sure if this matters or not, but TPRs board also turned me off. You'd think that such a big company would invest it's internet resources into better monitoring of the board...yuck! Whatever the excuse is, I simply didn't like the atmosphere at TPR. that's just my opinion, so please don't yell at me if you don't like it.

Princeton Review gives you more for your money. More class hours, take home exams, tons of work books. I actually used a ton of materials while studying: Kaplan, Princeton Review, Columbia, Flowers, and a couple more I can't remember right now.

I remember thinking that Kaplan's Bio was easier to grasp, but Princeton's physics was more understandable.

I was very pleased with my princeton review course. One bad thing about Kaplan is that you can't take any of the tests home. It's kinda stupid that you're chained to their location.

As a Kaplan MCAT teacher, let me just say that the review course won't get you a good score. You have to use Kaplan or PR as a tool to help you study, but whether or not you get a good score depends on you, not the review course.

Both courses have their own good points and bad points. The best thing to do would be to contact peers in your area and find out which is better. In my area, Kaplan is much better than PR, but it's not true everywhere. Good luck.