KaPlAn?!?!?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dent hopefule

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if it was worth spending $$$ on the Kaplan course. I know its based on individual preference, but even though I'm doing my BSc right now...its been a while since i've learned the basic material for Gen Chem and Biology.....thankfully we don't need Organic Chem or QR for the Canadian DAT....if anyone who took the CDN DAT....did Kaplan help you with the carving portion??? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I thought the Kaplan online course was really helpful especially for the biology section. For me, I've only taken 3 bio courses at my school so there's alot I haven't covered and Kaplan condensed the important points, many of which were on my exam.

Granted, that was the third exam for which I'd used Kaplan for and I tend to get good results with them. I've never tried Princeton Review or other companies but I've heard good things about them. Personally, I thought it was worth it because they teach you how the test makers write the questions. In the end it's just another standardized exam that usually ends up being predictable. It really comes down to your preference.

IMO, you are better off with the Kaplan blue book and supplemental materials like textbooks, schaums, examkracker, topscore, achiever, or destroyer. You would save $800 and do just as well or even better on the CDN DAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thx a lot for your opinion :)...but I'm really concerned abt the carving section......anyone ace (or atleast get over 20)the carving section with just the IQ publication for carving?????

I was wondering if it was worth spending $$$ on the Kaplan course. I know its based on individual preference, but even though I'm doing my BSc right now...its been a while since i've learned the basic material for Gen Chem and Biology.....thankfully we don't need Organic Chem or QR for the Canadian DAT....if anyone who took the CDN DAT....did Kaplan help you with the carving portion??? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

I'm starting kaplan on sunday...so I'll keep ya posted
-ld

Kaplan preys on worried preprofessional students that want to give themselves every perceived advantage possible in their med/dent/whatever school pursuit. They're classes "taught" by someone who had taken the class and may be able to shed a little insight on some aspects of the material and/or test. Truth is, I think they're a waste of money and way overpriced. It's basically like buying their product (i'm talking about the book which I think is a good buy) and then someone to make sure you use it on a regular basis (waste of money). If you absolutely need someone to be holding you accountable or your money holding you accountable for studying, then kaplan classes are the way to go. However, i think most predents can study on their own and should use that money to buy different DAT study materials from different companies. Also that $$ is better spent on booze for when you've had enough angle-ranking or box-counting to make anyone insane...

My wife took the Kaplan course for medical school and said it was a waste of money other than the extra exams and online material that she got from it.

I think it really depends on your instructor. As far as I know, in many cases don't they just pull people that have recently taken the MCAT or DAT and scored in a certain percentile? In which case, you're potentially being taught from someone with absolutely no teaching experience.

The subject test and practice test are well worth it.

Using the subject tests helped me a lot. I thought it was worth the money -- I got a good score and got into a good school. Paid off for me!

The kaplan course was the worst investment I have ever made. Horrible. If your smart, get the material (as everyone is stating above) from a friend or on SDN and don't take the class. Your paying for some instructor that probably knows less than you do. The book you get with the class is the same as the one you buy for $45 at Barnes & Noble. Save yourself time and money, get the materials, study the materials, don't take the class.

Most of the review courses like Kaplan, Princeton Review provide review materials, practice exams, test taking techniques. They provide a structured way to study for those of us who need more than just a little guidance. However, I think you need to be motivated to take advantage of their materials. If one waits to be spoon fed the material, it will not work, and you will have wasted your money. My advice is to make plenty of time to study and use the resources. I think if you are very proactive and motivated and need just a little help, just buy a study book.

YES. This question has been answered a million times before. I scored 24 AA, 24 Sci, 23 PAT, and all I did was memorize the Kaplan material word for word, including the subject tests and explanations. All other companies are just extra fluff, unless you want extra PAT practice (Kaplan is lacking on solid PAT problems). At the very least sign up for the material; the class can help for keeping you on a schedule, albeit more expensive.

YES. This question has been answered a million times before. I scored 24 AA, 24 Sci, 23 PAT, and all I did was memorize the Kaplan material word for word, including the subject tests and explanations. All other companies are just extra fluff, unless you want extra PAT practice (Kaplan is lacking on solid PAT problems). At the very least sign up for the material; the class can help for keeping you on a schedule, albeit more expensive.

Eldentist..,Mack...,Tooth.., and Typo:

I have some of the subject tests (1999 and 2004) by Kaplan.
If I study and understand those materials - will I be set for the DAT test?
Can I use those in lieu of the Kaplan Blue book or all of the materails?

Muchos gracias

Dude, for all the hundreds of thousands of dollars you are probably about to drop on dental school, why not spend $1300 on the Kaplan course? It really helped me and for how important the test is, there's no reason to skimp on a few hundred bucks difference between the class and the material alone.

Eldentist..,Mack...,Tooth.., and Typo:

I have some of the subject tests (1999 and 2004) by Kaplan.
If I study and understand those materials - will I be set for the DAT test?
Can I use those in lieu of the Kaplan Blue book or all of the materails?

Muchos gracias

I would not do that. I really think you're better off investing in the Kaplan book. It's such a small investment and so worth it for what you're trying to accomplish. If you go to fetchbook.info and search, you can find it used online right now for $12.98 including shipping.