• Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!

Mae16

10+ Year Member
May 18, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
super basic question:

what state are acids and bases in when they're dissolving in solution? I'm assuming they're almost always aqueous because I see them in the denominator of ka and kb equations -- and we leave pure solids and liquids out of those.

for instance, the ka for for a generic acid HA
is [H][A]/[HA] ... right? Is this the way it is for all acids and bases? for some reason, I feel like you don't usually see the HA in the denominator, but it just occured to me that it must be there, given that I don't think HA is a pure solid or liquid.

thanks!

May 8, 2009
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
super basic question:

what state are acids and bases in when they're dissolving in solution? I'm assuming they're almost always aqueous because I see them in the denominator of ka and kb equations -- and we leave pure solids and liquids out of those.

for instance, the ka for for a generic acid HA
is [H][A]/[HA] ... right? Is this the way it is for all acids and bases? for some reason, I feel like you don't usually see the HA in the denominator, but it just occured to me that it must be there, given that I don't think HA is a pure solid or liquid.

thanks!

Yup that right. Usually you will see it in the (l) as HA and (aq) as H+ and A-

Ka = [H+][A-]/[HA]

About the Ads
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.