KCOM 3rd and 4th years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andrea

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

We 2nd years at KCOM are in the process of figuring out where we would like to go for our 3rd and 4th year clinical rotations. We've gotten a lot of general info on the different sites, and have some ideas of the differences regarding preceptor vs. hospital based, population, specialties, etc. But I was wondering if any of you who are in your site now or have already graduated had some insight into this. What do you like best/worse about it, what would you look for if you had to do the match again, etc? Thanks for your imput and take care!

Andrea

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Andrea!!!
Trying to decide the next couple years is hard!!
There is a forum for rotations though, and you might get more response there.
OR email some of the 3rd and 4rth years and ask them questions.
I plan on starting to bug them soon! LOL After all, they have it easy not having to be in class.....plenty of time to answer our questions! LOL

with smiles,
Wifty aka Rebecca

Hey Rebecca!

Good ideas. I'll have to get over to the other forum. By the way, congrats on your pregnancy! I'm sure you must be totally stoked. You guys are gonna have such a cute kid.

Take care,
Andrea

Members don't see this ad :)
The advice I got from 3rd years when I was looking at sites, and the advice I will give to you is:
Make location the most important criteria in your decision. NOT preceptor vs. hospital or whatever else. Nothing will impact your future more than the location of your rotation as far as which residencies you apply for, where you will be able to most easily do your electives, how far you are from your family, how your wife likes where you live, etc. Don't like the cold? Don't go to michigan. Don't like the heat? Don't go to AZ. Want to live cheap? Don't go to New Jersey. Don't like Alligators...you get the point.

Bustin Booty is right, you need to first go where you'd like to live. If you don't like where you're living, then you wont be happy no matter the rotation. This whole preceptor/hopsital based thing is overrated, at least for Arizona region. Our 3rd year medicine, psych, and some OB rotations are hospital based. I think for surgery, you get to do more in the preceptor based rotation so that's a plus. Plus, 4th year, you can do whatever rotation type you want anyway.

Hey, thanks you guys! Best wishes on your rotations.