KCOM Class of 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Slingblade,
The accent was a good clue. Are you going to call KCOM admissions tomorrow to find out? Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

John D,
Congratulations on your final decision!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations Slingblade! I also got a call yesterday from KCOM offering accceptance. Definitely cool. It feels great.

Congratulations mmpp! :D

Congratulations to those of you that have been accepted. It took me three tries, so I know full well 1) how draining the app process is and 2) the elation that comes with acceptance.

The most valuable piece of advice you can get now that you've been accepted---DON'T DO ANYTHING IN THE NEXT 9 MONTHS UNLESS IT IS FUN AND/OR MEMORABLE. If you're still in school, take the bear minimum to graduate and then go on a killer vacation. If you're not in school, save up a bunch of money, quit your job right before Memorial Day and blow all of it on whatever you want for your 'last 2 months'.

DT KCOM MS1

Hey, MonkeyBoy--good to see you out of the lab dungeon again! You worry me always playing with those monkeys like that!

Try not to blow your whole vacation on SDN--we've got another joyride coming soon!

Hey class of 2005! How is finals week coming? I understand y'all have a huge anatomy exam coming up!? Just watch out -- anything the Rhoades' asks will involve the nit-picky details. However, if you don't know yet...if you ask either of them for one-on-one assistance, they are most willing to do it and they are both excellent teacher in that scenario...much much better than they are in the lecture hall.

And, beware of Uray -- he'll singe your ass with his hand-drawn, low-quality artwork <boy, do I use that term loosely!!>

Best of luck to you all and remember, every year after the first one gets better and better!!!!

WOW!!!!
Hubby and I got home at 2am last night from his interview at KCOM on the 15th....and I am still in a state of awe!
I am a bit of a big city gal and the amazing friendliness of everyone, took some getting used to. You know what though? I already miss it! LOL
To everyone we met that might be reading this....thank you! You have a right to be very proud of your school and the town and the helpfulness of everyone is unmatched anywhere I have seen.
Can you tell I am still a bit stricken? :)
Btw, the coffee at the coffee shop is GREAT! And we both loved Hastings (coffee for a quarter and chairs to sit and read on AND logic puzzle magazines!!! I am set!)
With much crossing of fingers,
Wifty

I am so glad you had a good time--we enjoyed spending the evening with you guys! I am glad you enjoyed your visit, even though you saw the seedier side of Kirksville (remember our "hooker?") :)

I hope things go well for you and we will be sitting by the computer Wednesday to receive an email from you; or, I believe you still have our number if you want to call!

GOOD LUCK!

A question for you current KCOM students:

How does the 3rd and 4th year rotation "match" work? Are the rotation locations pretty much the same each year? Can you spend 3rd year one place and 4th year another? How many students get their top choices? Are certain locations more "competitive" than others?

Thanks!

He did it!!!

Hubby is now an official KCOM class of 2006 student!!! I am so proud of him and bounced around a bit like a schoolgirl at christmas! :)

They called this morning at 9 am our time and I ran over to his work to tell him in person....I couldn't wait. :)

So now all the fun stuff of relocating but at this point, I am happy for the chore. :)

With too many smiles and a few more bounces,
Wifty aka Rebecca

Congratulations to you and your husband Rebecca! I guess I will be seeing you guys in August sometime. Take care and enjoy these next months before you have to move.

Members don't see this ad :)
I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU GUYS!!

I hope Hubby was ecstatic! My bad news is that the place we showed you next door may not be available becasue the guy is talking about moving out next month, but, nevertheless, we can help you all we are able!

Again, CONGRATS--I knew you could do it!

Hey all, this is Duncan (AKA Wifty's hubby)

I figured that since I was just accepted to KCOM today, I should sign up and begin participating in some of the discussions here. :)

I'm really excited about going to KCOM and I am looking forward to getting to know my future classmates. I don't think I've ever been so excite for school to start, and we have nine months to go.

Anyways, I hope all of you have a great Thanksgiving and I hope to talk with all of you more.

Duncan

Hi everyone,
I just found out that I was accepted at KCOM this afternoon! I interviewed on Monday, so that's quite a fast turn around time they have there.
I'm really excited!
:)

CurlGurl,

The 3rd and 4th year rotation match works as follows:

You will have the opportunity to rank your top 5 or 6 favorite rotation sites that are available to your class. Once you have ranked them you turn them in, and a computer or hand match will occur. It is a true lottery. That means that when your name is drawn if your first choice is available that is the site to which you will be assigned. However, if it isn't available, then your name is placed in a holding file until all other names have been seen once then your name is drawn a 2nd time to see if your second choice is available. This will go on until everyone is placed. This system repeats three times and selects the "Match" that has the highest % of first choice placements.

Remember, that the rotations sites that are available for our class, that of 2004, may or may not be available for your class, however, be assured that whatever rotations are available will be quality sites with a good education. Also, if you have a site that your class is very interested in you can try lobbying the Regional Affairs to add a site at that location. Our Class has a Florida Site because of our efforts showing a class desire to rotate in Florida.

If you have any other questions please let me know.

Sweaty Paul MS-II
KCOM

:)

Hey Sweaty! Thanks for the info!

Any other KCOM pearls of wisdom for us? :)

Originally posted by curlgrrl:
•Hey Sweaty! Thanks for the info!

Any other KCOM pearls of wisdom for us? :) •••

Old Sweaty Paul should know -- he's the Co-Chairman of the Rotations Committee. I taught most everything I know!

Nice to see you on here Sweaty!! Glad to see that you've finally figured out that there is a world outside of the dungeon. Hey, you comin to Saginaw? Or down to that sweat-box Florida?

OMD,

Who says I left the Dungeon...

Sweaty

Currlgurrl,

I think that I added too many "R"'s. Anyway, I was wondering where are you in your application process? Also, what kind of KCOM pearls are you looking for answers about? Let me know and I will scribe accordingly.

Sweaty :)

Curlgrrl,

I apologize about not writing more in the above post, however, class was about to start and I wanted to pull up the power-point prep. In the meantime, I thought of some general wisdom/thoughts/ concerning KCOM.

Most important, the basic education is great. That doesn't mean that it is easy, that everyone gets A's, or that you get to sleep a lot. It means that, you will work very hard, but, you will be well prepared for your 3rd and 4th (clinical rotation) years. I am an MS-II, subsequently, I cannot speak from personal experience concerning prep for rotations, however, my 3rd year friends report that they are with or ahead of the curve with colleagues from other schools both osteopathic and allopathic.
Yes, Kirksville is small, however, you must remember when looking at medical school that you will not have the same amount of free time as when you were in undergrad. Subsequently, not having as much to distract you is a good thing. Also, because the 'Ville is small it gives you the opportunity to get to know your class and that is fun. Many of your classmates will have great stories and experiences. Further, you have all shared the same goal of medical school and you are all going through the same academic abuse, you will have lots in common. KCOM is also aware that the 'Ville is small and as such the students have intramurals available to them, clubs, and we also have the occasional party too, so the worry that you will be bored on your occasional time off, you won't. Besides, it is only 2 years and you will be attending a great school.
Again if you have any specific questions concerning KCOM don't hesitate to post your questions.

Sweaty :p

Hi Sweaty Paul and other KCOM students,

I have a couple of questions and would appreciate any feedback...

1. I'm sure it varies, but what is the typical amount of time spent in class each day? How many hours do you think the average KCOM student spends studying? How do you feel about AFFOM?

2. About how many tests/quizes are there per week?

3. Which classes do you think students favor most? Which classes do you think students dislike most?

4. From what I've read and seen, it seems like the KCOM student body is pretty diverse (where they're from, age, ethnicity, experiences and such). Do you agree that most students are diverse in what they like to do during their free time in Kirksville? Do you think most students are able to maintain a balance between work and play?

5. How do you feel about AFFOM?

6. Is it is necessary or beneficial to have a laptop?

Those are my questions for now. Thanks for your input!

oops. sorry for the repeated question about AFFOM.

mmpp,
I'll give you some answers from my perspective, i.e. MS1, which may be totally different than the next person, but you know how that is.

We are in lecture almost invariably from 8-10 every morning. The rest of the morning we are either in more lecture or in OTM lab. 12-1 is lunch. Usually 2 days a week we have anatomy lecture and lab from 1-5 and the other days we will have approx. 2-3 hours of lecture in the afternoon or some other lab or small group activities.

Likes and dislikes are subjective, but there is a general distaste (to put it lightly) in our class for Histology. I have really enjoyed anatomy and OTM, except for the AFFOM part, which was another question you asked about

AFFOM is a great idea in theory. It is meant to be an integrated test between Anatomy, OTM, and the Complete DO course. An extremely large amount of material is covered, constituting a large portion of our grade for these courses. The main complaint from students is that the test is not doing what it was set out to do. The questions do not correlate together to form a true "integrated" test. The concept is relatively new, and the format was much different for our class than it has ever been before. I think some of the weaknesses of the test will be corrected for next year.

Hours of study each day varies from person to person. Some days I study 2 hours, some days I study 8. Tests tend to be grouped into small time periods. (i.e. 3 tests in one week) so those weeks have a lot more study time involved, obviously. A good rule of thumb is to enjoy your freetime, but don't count on having any.

Laptops: A lot of people brought them to class the first week. Now, only 2 or 3 do out of 150. And these people are usually emailing or downloading music while "listening" to lectures. I think the laptop has little academic use in the classroom.

Hope this helps. I also hope someone else replies to give you a different perspective.

Adios.

BB, that is rude to talk about me behind my back!

Thanks bustinbooty. Sounds like AFFOM still has some kinks to be worked out. Any other opinions of AFFOM out there?

mmpp, you wrote the following questions for us KCOM students to answer.

"1. I'm sure it varies, but what is the typical amount of time spent in class each day? How many hours do you think the average KCOM student spends studying? How do you feel about AFFOM?

2. About how many tests/quizes are there per week?

3. Which classes do you think students favor most? Which classes do you think students dislike most?

4. From what I've read and seen, it seems like the KCOM student body is pretty diverse (where they're from, age, ethnicity, experiences and such). Do you agree that most students are diverse in what they like to do during their free time in Kirksville? Do you think most students are able to maintain a balance between work and play?

5. How do you feel about AFFOM?

6. Is it is necessary or beneficial to have a laptop?"

Answers:

1. Each student has their own kind and pattern of studying. I probably spent more time studying first year than BustinBooty, however, I learn best by going over material several times rapidly. I also like to read something and let it "settle." I probably average 4 hrs/night. That also includes studying time on Saturdays and Sundays. At KCOM your first year you have quite a lot of lab hours in addition to your lecture hours, however, there is to be a 10% decrease in the number of lecture hours, so you will be in class/lab 25 hrs. a week. This doesn't mean that the content for which you are responsible will be less, only that you won't have it all presented to you in a lecture form. AAFOM for our class was significantly different from what 2005 has. However, AAFOM, like any curricular piece, is always under scrutiny for improvement. It changed for our class from the class ahead of us, just as it changed for 2005. AAFOM, isn't really a reason to worry about attending this school, it is only one part of a lot of curriculum. Ultimately, the question you need to ask is "how well prepared for the boards will I be at the end of my second year?" The answer is very well and you can find that out by getting the board pass rates and how, as a school, we fared in the various disciplines that were tested.

2. Like BustinBooty said, we are heavy and light. Some weeks nothing, others lots. This is one of the problems, and the faculty and medical education are aware. Subsequently, they are trying to find ways to decrease some of the high test weeks. Currently, there are to be no more than 3 exams/week unless it is finals. That said, last quarter, the last 3 weeks for the class of 2004, were very long, having 9 exams and 5 quizzes in 15 days. This isn't the rule, however, it sometimes happens, but no matter how much you don't think you'll make it you do.

3. Students always favor the easy classes. Just kidding. I think students prefer those courses that are well thought and taught. That said in your first year, though you will complain, anatomy is good (very hard), biochem (very hard), physiology. Second year so far Principles of Medicine has been phenomenal, Surgery is great, and even pathology has been good. That said, it ain't all roses. Histology in the first year isn't great, though, it is getting somewhat better. Second year you will neuroscience, a new course that started with our class combining Neuro-anatomy, physiology, and neurology. It was hard, though it had some bumps lots was learned. I, however, am of the opinion that you should hear about what to expect more than what you will like or dislike, that way you don't go into something biased.

4. One of the great things about KCOM is the fact that the classes are so diverse. I don't think we get to play enough, however, that is likely because I really do like my class and the people in it. You will learn to relax and play when you can, sometimes it is on a Tues or Wed. rather than the more traditional Thurs, Fri, Sat. Yes, K'ville is small, however, Thousand Hills lake isn't far, Columbia is only an hour and a half away, and KC and STL only 3 hrs. More important, the students like one another and tend to socialize, and party together. Atlas has a huge Halloween party, there are Formals, chili cookoffs, skit night, trips to conventions for different campus organizations, Theta Psi parties, club parties, etc. There is also a lot of studying, which makes K'ville nice and not too tempting.

5. Laptops aren't necessary, although I am using mine now to scribe this missive. They are handy and fun but definitely not required. If you have a computer at home, or are content to use the libraries' computers you will be fine.

I hope that this answers some of your questions. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Sweaty :) :)

I just got the news today. I have been accepted to the class of 2006. Congratulations to everyone!

Originally posted by Justin:
•I just got the news today. I have been accepted to the class of 2006. Congratulations to everyone!•••

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Are you the same Jutin who has contacted me off of SDN? Just curious...

Justin,

My sincere congratulations. You have been accepted at a great school.

Sweaty :)

Old man Dave,

I am the same Justin.

I'm in, I'm in, I'm in!!!!!!! I found out today that I will be a member of the class of 2006! yahooooooooo!!!!

Many congrats Ral!!!! How wonderful!! I'll see you in the fall. How neat to see our class coming together. :)

Originally posted by Sweaty Paul:
•Currlgurrl,

I think that I added too many "R"'s. Anyway, I was wondering where are you in your application process? Also, what kind of KCOM pearls are you looking for answers about? Let me know and I will scribe accordingly.

Sweaty :) •••

Hey Sweaty!!

Sorry I have been so delinquint in the response area!

So anyway, I sent my check to K'ville yesterday! After long nights of agonizing over it, I think I have made the right decision and I am looking forward to relocating to Kirksville.

So, what's the story on housing? The on-campus housing didn't seem all that exciting. Are there specific areas in town that you would recommend?

The WOODWINDS!!!!!

A word to the wise, there is a good bit of quality, cheap housing there...but, you will have to be careful! You see, there is substantially more housing there, equally or even more cheap, that is not fit for human habitation! DO NOT RENT SITE UNSEEN!!!! <The ONLY place I know you'd be safe renting site-unseen is in the Woodwinds>

It will be worth the time & $$ to go to K'ville and shop for housing. Stay in contact with Sweaty, or some other departing MS-II/III-to-be, to give you the inside poop on when a good time to visit for housing shopping.

Good to know!

Thanks!

I agree with OMD to see the places first. some of the places at the woodwinds are nice but from what I have seen they are over priced. You can find a nice house or duplex for the same cost or much less. I have friends who bought a house their payment was $150 a month. They want to pay it off way early so they are paying $275. It is a nice home, especially for the price. It isn't all that cheap but you can easily find a house etc for under $400 compared to much more at the woodwinds. (You probably won't get the benefit of the park area and the swimingpool that you get at the woodwinds though)

the admissions people at kcom told me that may is the best time to look for an apartment, is that true? or can you get away with a latter date than that?

Slovene,
currently, the rentals in Kville are 30% vacant! This is because of the new housing establishments built...and more and more people finding 'interesting' ways to qualify for low-income housing. So, the apartments/houses that don't 'qualify' for the assistance program go unrented. I don't think you will have a problem no matter when you look....but looking early is best, as it is with everything.

Seriously, though, you won't be without a place to live.

Thought brought up by double elle:
•This is because of the new housing establishments built...and more and more people finding 'interesting' ways to qualify for low-income housing. So, the apartments/houses that don't 'qualify' for the assistance program go unrented.•••

Ok....I don't understand what you are talking about. Do you mean that people are buying places thru low-income mortgage assistance?
I have only been a renter and know nothing about houses/mortgages/yards. :) Any info or direction would be really helpful!!

Or, any 2nd years that are moving on for rotations next year, have a nice place that they would recommend? :)

Rebecca aka Wifty
KCOM Spouse 2006....house/rental hunting : :p icking up elephant rifle::

Wifty,

I am a second year and my wife and I will be trying to sell our home. If buying interests you let me know. If sale doesn't happen, we'll rent.

Let me know.

Sweaty

Hey Wifty,

Sorry I have been so silent! You remember seeing our place? There will be a couple of those opening up about that time, I have discovered. Otherwise, I forgot to give you the name of the realtor I told you about. If you are still interested in a HOUSE, email me and I will send you her name!

John

Yesterday I got the call that I have been wanting most. I have been accepted into the KCOM class of 2006. I cannot begin to tell you how psyched my wife and I are about going there. It was the first place we interviewed and we loved every minute of it. We are looking forward to the move to K'ville and getting to spend some time there with you all.

Ben

Sweaty,

My wife and I may be wanting to buy. What kind of house do you have??

Ben

Wifty,
What I mean is that the 'older' rentals in town may not qualify for government assistance housing....but some of the newer/nicer places will. So, individuals are finding new ways to qualify for the low-income government housing, which leaves the rentals pretty vacant. There have been many new constructions in Kville the past few years that fall under the 'requirements' to be met by the government for such assistance programs. This leaves older (some very nice, some not so nice)houses and apartments vacant.

I know first hand that landlords are not happy with this situation, and just voted down the possibility of adding another apartment complex. I think it is because more and more of the people qualifying for the programs do so under questionable circumstances. (ex..single mother, not married..qualifies..then has her boyfriend..who makes 50k a year living there)..that sort of thing. Or, even students qualifying..only to find the apartment houses 3-4 students..not just the one who qualified.

Bottome line..you really shouldn't have any trouble..but..you will have more choices if you look early.

I have dealt with Tom Duncan..Who works for ERA/4Horizens Realty...he is a friend of my husbands (who is in the real-estate business, also)..Anyway, Tom can hook you up with house/apartment..whatever.

Also, KCOM will be sending a landlord list out (I think!)..I already live here..so I didn't pay attention to it last year.

Landlords really like renting to KCOM students/families, because it's pretty much a for-certain 2 year lease/contract.

Another thin

dctrben,

The house is about 3 1/2 - 5min from school depending on traffic.

It is a one-story ranch with a full basement that is finished with new carpeting in the basement. It has 3 bedrooms, 1 full bath and 2 1/2 baths (one in the master b/r and the other in the basement). It is approx 1600 sq. ft/floor. Has a two-car attached garage, and covered patio. Anyway, if you are interested you can send me a private e-mail with your home e-mail and I can post some digital photos to you.

Congrats on your acceptance to KCOM and Happy Holidays.

Sweaty.

Can I ask what the going rate for rent on an apartment or small house is in K'ville?

Happy holidays, everyone!

Hello my fellow KCOMers,

I was just writing to wish you all a happy New Year and to get this section back to 'the front.'

I do have one quick question regarding housing. I know that some of the upperclassmen read this and was hoping they could chime in on their thoughts about renting versus buying a house. My wife and I are a bit undecided about which we want to do. Thanks for all your input.

See you all this summer.

Ben

I am a first year, and I am still trying to decide that for myself. Although, with a wife (I am single) I would recommend renting for a while to decide how long you want to stay here in Kirksville. There are many houses that have been for sale here for quite some time; you may not want to get stuck with a house if you have to leave in two years.
Rent is incredibly cheap. Think about it.
Toran