Wifty

Eccentrically Silly
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I am one of those rare posters....a spouse! ::insert scary music::
Its getting down to the wire of choosing schools and I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts about if Kcom or Comp was more 'spouse friendly'?
They are both good schools, but part of our decsion does rest on where I, the spouse, would be happiest.
Any thoughts?

Wifty

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Wifty- Are you currently living in Washington? I think there are advantages to attending both KCOM and COMP. If you're a sunshine-loving sorta spouse, I think COMP and California in general would be a nice setting. There are a wide variety of nice neighborhoods/towns that quite a few students live in that are within 5-15 minutes of the school. In addition, we are about 35-45 minutes east of LA and not too far from Orange County, SD, Las Vegas.. and various other attractions such as beaches, outlet malls, Disneyland (about 20-25 minutes away), etc.

That being said, our current class spends quite a few hours in class/lab.. at least for the first semester. I know it is a bit more than some other med schools and once in awhile the hours can be excessive although we have a little flexibility at times with shifting classes around through our curriculum representative officer.

Unfortunately, I'm not married (and I'm very single) so I can't speak from first-hand knowledge of what it would be like to be a spouse of a COMP student. I know they have a support group/organization for spouses and the President of Western U. makes a big point to offer assistance/advice to any spouses/family members/friends in need of support or counseling.

Hopefully someone more experienced can comment on COMP as I know a few couples who were actually classmates who married and there are a number of my classmates who have spouses and families. Hope some of this input helps! I'd like to hear about KCOM as well..

I can emphathise with you because opportunities for spouses ranked VERY high on my list when choosing schools. KCOM is definitely spouse-friendly, with about half of our class married. KCOM has the largest chapter of SAA (Student Auxiliary Association) of any of the Osteopathic schools.

The advantage of this environment is that there are a lot of activities for spouses; so many, in fact, that my wife turns down more than she participates in because of time constraints. I watch our children several nights every week so she can participate in her various activities. The downfall of this area, though, is that there is little to do in town (ie, shopping, etc, unless you like Wal-Mart). Our nearest mall is 1.5 hours away, which isn't too bad, but we can't devote the time to drive there very often. That is kind of nice, though, because we avoid the bustle of the mall traffic and we save money!

KCOM-SAA offers activities and clubs such as scrapbooking, stamping, international cooking, game night, scavenger hunts, parents' night out, and many others. Lori Haxton, SAA's sponsor, can tell you more about the activities and even send you the current newsletter if you request it at (660)626-2121 (KCOM's switchboard). She is always more than happy to share because she is so excited about the organization--and believe me, it is not a front (like I saw at some schools). This group is for real and is dedicated to supporting the spouses!

If you have any specific questions, email me and my wife would love to talk to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all both of these schools are very good. Do you work outside the home? If so, COMP is the school for your husband. You'll have more job offers in So. Cal If you have children, then KCOM is the school for him,a very friendly town. Just my two cents.

Thought I would respond to my own question now that I have some 'experience'. :)

I have been to COMP and to KCOM and KCOM definately is more spouse-friendly!! They have a huge branch of the SAA that sounds like it is constantly busy and the town is much safer for any potential child-rearing. :)

The admissions people at KCOM also went out of their way to make me feel as important and vital as hubby and kept me 'in the loop'. That was probably the most important thing for me since we are doing this together as a couple....simply with different reponsibilities to make it work out. It seems that not all the schools understand that.

Anyways, there is my pfennig of info. If there are any questions...ask away! ;-)
Wifty