-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
KCOM VS. Western PNW
Started by naare0602
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Having a really hard time picking between these two schools. Any insights would be helpful!
KCOM.
Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any specific reasons why? Trying to make an informed decision?
Gotta know about YOU to help you with that i.e. married w/ kids or not? From where? Wanting to end up where? Your concerns (or lack thereof) regarding tuition cost? A little background info is necessary to give better 'advice' if that's what you are looking for.
I am just concerned about the "newness" of Western PNW aka no board scores or match data to go off of. I am not interested in being in one of the top specialties but do want a solid education and dont want the name of the school to hold me back when I apply to residency. I am not married but will be moving with my partner who will need to establish her life. I want to end up in the Pacific North West working in a relatively rural area. I am from ID and tuition is always a concern but doing the HPSP so it is a essentially a non issue.
I am just concerned about the "newness" of Western PNW aka no board scores or match data to go off of. I am not interested in being in one of the top specialties but do want a solid education and dont want the name of the school to hold me back when I apply to residency. I am not married but will be moving with my partner who will need to establish her life. I want to end up in the Pacific North West working in a relatively rural area. I am from ID and tuition is always a concern but doing the HPSP so it is a essentially a non issue.
KCOM rotations can get you as close as Utah... but Western-COMP rotates closer to where you want to end up. Something to think about.
I think being a DO will hold you back more than any specific DO school will.
Any specific reasons why? Trying to make an informed decision?
You expect us to explain why we pick one over the other, but you aren't willing to tell us anything about yourself or your desires in the OP?
Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile
I am just concerned about the "newness" of Western PNW aka no board scores or match data to go off of. I am not interested in being in one of the top specialties but do want a solid education and dont want the name of the school to hold me back when I apply to residency. I am not married but will be moving with my partner who will need to establish her life. I want to end up in the Pacific North West working in a relatively rural area. I am from ID and tuition is always a concern but doing the HPSP so it is a essentially a non issue.
You want to end up PNW, so go to a school in the PNW. Seems logical to me.
Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile
Yeah so KCOM has core rotation sites in Logan, UT; SLC, UT; and Provo, UT. This would put you only a couple hours from home (unless you're one of those who are from the top side). Both are excellent schools as far as I understand. KCOM has great (far better than I saw elsewhere) support for significant others. For me, being able to come rotate in UT was probably the last straw that pushed me over to KCOM in my struggle deciding. Even if I don't come back to UT, I am glad that the option is there if I so desire in 2 years. I know very little about COMP-NW but I can say I am very excited about KCOM and that is regarding everything from the curriculum, the ipad, and the education to the small town and the great support for my wife and baby.
Tuition not being a factor, that makes things easier and harder. As far as being a DO, as I understand that will definitely not hold you back in the military if you're doing the HPSP. Every military doc I've spoken to was a DO and they all said they never felt disadvantaged at any point. The military is VERY DO friendly (just why I'm told by everyone)
Tuition not being a factor, that makes things easier and harder. As far as being a DO, as I understand that will definitely not hold you back in the military if you're doing the HPSP. Every military doc I've spoken to was a DO and they all said they never felt disadvantaged at any point. The military is VERY DO friendly (just why I'm told by everyone)
You want to end up PNW, so go to a school in the PNW. Seems logical to me.
Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile
Except if he/she is doing HPSP, they're going to get shipped wherever anyway. You could benefit by networking a bit, but the chances of OP getting stationed in the PNW or doing residency there are not spectacular.
I am just concerned about the "newness" of Western PNW aka no board scores or match data to go off of. I am not interested in being in one of the top specialties but do want a solid education and dont want the name of the school to hold me back when I apply to residency. I am not married but will be moving with my partner who will need to establish her life. I want to end up in the Pacific North West working in a relatively rural area. I am from ID and tuition is always a concern but doing the HPSP so it is a essentially a non issue.
Except if he/she is doing HPSP, they're going to get shipped wherever anyway. You could benefit by networking a bit, but the chances of OP getting stationed in the PNW or doing residency there are not spectacular.
Agreed, HPSP commitment changes things a bit, as where you end up is now less about where you rotate and more about where you're needed.
One thing you may consider, and I'm not sure how this is at KCOM, but at PNWU you're basically on your own to set up your clinical rotations. For some people this is pretty cool because you can really do what you want and where you want. For others however it is a real drawback for PNWU.
One thing you may consider, and I'm not sure how this is at KCOM, but at PNWU you're basically on your own to set up your clinical rotations. For some people this is pretty cool because you can really do what you want and where you want. For others however it is a real drawback for PNWU.
We're not talking about PNWU here.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
One thing you may consider, and I'm not sure how this is at KCOM, but at PNWU you're basically on your own to set up your clinical rotations. For some people this is pretty cool because you can really do what you want and where you want. For others however it is a real drawback for PNWU.
PNWU: http://www.pnwu.org/
Western PNW (the school this thread is about): http://www.westernu.edu/northwest-about
PNWU: http://www.pnwu.org/
Western PNW (the school this thread is about): http://www.westernu.edu/northwest-about
👍
Similar threads
- Replies
- 67
- Views
- 19K
- Replies
- 471
- Views
- 145K
- Replies
- 116
- Views
- 31K
- Replies
- 181
- Views
- 44K
- Replies
- 712
- Views
- 236K