KCU-COM class of 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For winter holidays! Sorry I probably should've just edited my first post instead of writing a second

I believe that that should be fine. We were done by the 18th of Dec but they can always change things up for you guys. Is this an academic calendar that they sent to you guys via email or just the KCU website one? I would play it safe and prob call monday to see though!

Members don't see this ad.

I believe that that should be fine. We were done by the 18th of Dec but they can always change things up for you guys. Is this an academic calendar that they sent to you guys via email or just the KCU website one? I would play it safe and prob call monday to see though!

On the topic, do you know what our winter schedule looks like this year?

Are there lockers on campus that students who are commuting can keep their things in during the day?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes there are lockers in the fitness area and SEP building. Bring your own lock for it.

Reactions: 1 user
I got the Classic III and I was forced to stand in the from the class and state why I didn't listen to orders. Kind of traumatizing but w/e. Saved 50 bucks.

@SynapticDoctah and @Higherprimate can confirm this story.

I can't believe they did that to you. Was the stethoscope not functioning right?

In the first 2 years you're still learning to use the equipment. I doubt many of the students can even appreciate the difference between a Cardio III and Classic III.

I think they require certain equipment because it's easier to teach 270 students that way.

For the c/o 2020, if you have equipment that's relatively good quality then use it. Make sure you learn how to use it before lab so you don't slow people down. You might need to learn how to use it through tutorials but at least you will save $$$ and have a better understanding.

I bought mine for $900 at the bookstore and only used it handful of times. Sold it for about $500. Biggest waste ever.

I can't believe they did that to you. Was the stethoscope not functioning right?

In the first 2 years you're still learning to use the equipment. I doubt many of the students can even appreciate the difference between a Cardio III and Classic III.

I think they require certain equipment because it's easier to teach 270 students that way.

For the c/o 2020, if you have equipment that's relatively good quality then use it. Make sure you learn how to use it before lab so you don't slow people down. You might need to learn how to use it through tutorials but at least you will save $$$ and have a better understanding.

I bought mine for $900 at the bookstore and only used it handful of times. Sold it for about $500. Biggest waste ever.

He was joking haha

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

You guys made Chiz feel things. You should feel ashamed for the feels.

Is it ok to get the pocketscope versions of otoscope/ophthalmoscope or does it have to be the standard size? Also, does it have to be brand names like Welch Allyn or cheaper versions would be ok as well? Trying to save $$$ where I can! Thanks guys!

Is it ok to get the pocketscope versions of otoscope/ophthalmoscope or does it have to be the standard size? Also, does it have to be brand names like Welch Allyn or cheaper versions would be ok as well? Trying to save $$$ where I can! Thanks guys!

I wouldn't recommend it. You need tools that are normal sized and appropriate for you to get used to using in the real world.

Reactions: 1 users
What do they mean by professional attire during orientation week? Are men wearing sportcoats/suits or is it more button up, tie, and slacks?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Button up and dress pants or khakis. Tie isn't necessary but please don't be the only person who shows up wearing basketball shorts, yes it actually happened last year.

Also remember to bring something that can keep you warm. You will spend nearly half of the day inside the lecture hall while they blast the AC and keep the room at a cool 60ish degrees.

Is anyone else living at Centropolis in river market?

Button up and dress pants or khakis. Tie isn't necessary but please don't be the only person who shows up wearing basketball shorts, yes it actually happened last year.

I know this sounds stupid but are nice jeans and a button up okay? Or should I shy away from jeans? I have plenty of khakis. Thanks!

I know this sounds stupid but are nice jeans and a button up okay? Or should I shy away from jeans? I have plenty of khakis. Thanks!

Avoid jeans for professional attire days. Wednesday you can wear comfy clothes.

So on an average week, how many days of the week do y'all have labs/PCM stuff? I'm wondering how many days I'll be on campus a week if I don't go to lectures in the mornings.

So on an average week, how many days of the week do y'all have labs/PCM stuff? I'm wondering how many days I'll be on campus a week if I don't go to lectures in the mornings.

Well, first year you have a lot of labs -- anatomy, OMT, PCM. it's been awhile for me but if I remember correctly it was 3-4 afternoons a week. At least a couple hours...sometimes til 5pm sometimes not. Depends on when they schedule your lab group and what anatomy section you're currently dealing with.

Well, first year you have a lot of labs -- anatomy, OMT, PCM. it's been awhile for me but if I remember correctly it was 3-4 afternoons a week. At least a couple hours...sometimes til 5pm sometimes not. Depends on when they schedule your lab group and what anatomy section you're currently dealing with.

What's second year like for labs tho?

Depends on the section. You'll likely spend most weeks with 2 days until 5 ( Double lab: OS + Anatomy) and 1 until 3. Fridays are usually kept light to allow you to go home after 12.

Depends on the section. You'll likely spend most weeks with 2 days until 5 ( Double lab: OS + Anatomy) and 1 until 3. Fridays are usually kept light to allow you to go home after 12.

They crammed ~75-80% of your labs in 1st year. In 2nd year first semester you have a couple of labs but then it's mostly competencies later on.

So maybe more free afternoons than first year right? haha

You have more free time to manage your studying.

There will be more CIS classes and PCM clinical cases (if those are still around). Unfortunately, you will also have more exams.

It was a weird feeling in 2nd year when we had an entire week without having an exam.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

So what should I be bringing to orientation first day? Just myself? #2 pencils? Trapper Keeper?

???

You have more free time to manage your studying.

There will be more CIS classes and PCM clinical cases (if those are still around). Unfortunately, you will also have more exams.

It was a weird feeling in 2nd year when we had an entire week without having an exam.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

CIS usually are pretty entertaining usually. But the having a test every week was what burned me out like hell during MOD. 6 weeks without a single weekend off got me 5 pounds of fat.

How are the competencies second year though? It seems like second years are always practicing OMM in the areas outside of class.

So what should I be bringing to orientation first day? Just myself? #2 pencils? Trapper Keeper?

???

Honestly they will have packets with everything for us and Im sure they will have a kc pen for us but I'm just planning on bringing a pen. They would let us know if they wanted all of us to bring something

Can't wait to meet you all!

Reactions: 2 users
Honestly they will have packets with everything for us and Im sure they will have a kc pen for us but I'm just planning on bringing a pen. They would let us know if they wanted all of us to bring something

Can't wait to meet you all!

Same, I am just bringing myself. It will be nice to finally meet everyone in the class!

Also looking forward to tomorrow. I'm far from a traditional student, but I hope I can make some friends as we begin the crazy adventure together!

Reactions: 3 users
A #2 biochemistry to be exact.

Wow, has it already been a year since we had orientation? Congrats to all of the first years! You've accomplished a lot by getting here. It's going to be a wild ride, but you'll get through it and learn a lot.

I almost asked for a #2 bullet today

And just think....2 ish more days his week! (Don't count Friday since it's just rehearsal)

Oh geeze haha. Was community service day that tough!!!?

Tomorrow is service day. I'm kinda looking forward to that. Then a Royals game. Not looking forward to Thursday.

Tomorrow is service day. I'm kinda looking forward to that. Then a Royals game. Not looking forward to Thursday.

This will be the easiest week of M1 so enjoy it while it lasts.

I do remember the first two days of orientation being administrative hell. What's going on Thursday?

This will be the easiest week of M1 so enjoy it while it lasts.

I do remember the first two days of orientation being administrative hell. What's going on Thursday?

If you're fine with being popsicled you mean.

My body is not ready for KCU's patron god of cold air.

Hope classes are going well so far! The first few weeks can be an adjustment! Hang in there!

Reactions: 3 users