KCU-Joplin vs LMU-DCOM (Knoxville)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avo31

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am trying to decide between these two schools.

KCU-Joplin pros:
-better scores/rotations
-cheaper tuition
-more established

KCU-Joplin cons:

LMU-DCOM (Knoxville) pros:

LMU-DCOM Knoxville cons:
-lower scores/trouble with rotations??
-accreditation warning
-new campus

Basically- if it weren't for the location factor I like KCU-Joplin better as a school. But I also want to live in a place where I will be happy. Can anyone provide input on making a decision between a school I like more with worse location (KCU) vs. school I like less with better location (LMU)? How important is location in the grand scheme of things? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

KCU has always been a better school than LMU.
LMU has lots of issues which explains why they got Accreditation with warning. Avoid all the headaches and go KCU. Don't get me wrong all DO schools have their own issues, but some have more than others.

Reactions: 2 users
Joplin is not as rural as people make it seem on here. Is it a major city? No but it is also not the middle of nowhere. The distance from your family (support) is significant to note but its not "really small town USA"

Reactions: 1 user
Joplin is not as rural as people make it seem on here. Is it a major city? No but it is also not the middle of nowhere. The distance from your family (support) is significant to note but its not "really small town USA"
Thank you for saying this! It's definitely hard to get a feel for the city since we didn't go there for interviews so this is helpful!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for saying this! It's definitely hard to get a feel for the city since we didn't go there for interviews so this is helpful!
Totally get this. But yea, it gets a bad rap on here for being rural. It is classified as rural but where I am from, there are waaayyy more rural areas. If you really need to visit a large city, KC is 2.5 hours away, Springfield is 1 hour, Bentonville, AR is about 1.5 hours away, and Tulsa is close to 2 hours away. Some go after tests or just to visit. Those also have larger airports as Joplin only has one airline with 2 destinations (i use Springfield or Bentonville/Fayetteville).

Reactions: 1 users
In this case I'd probably say your fine at either one. Yeah LMU had the accreditation warning but their matching outcomes have been doing fairly well still, and your boards scores will come down to how well you prepare in the end. Congratulations on your acceptances OP!

In this case I'd probably say your fine at either one. Yeah LMU had the accreditation warning but their matching outcomes have been doing fairly well still, and your boards scores will come down to how well you prepare in the end. Congratulations on your acceptances OP!
Due to all the bad things I've heard from students coming from LMU, I would avoid going there at all costs. KCU also has a better reputation in terms of board score average and match outcome.

Due to all the bad things I've heard from students coming from LMU, I would avoid going there at all costs. KCU also has a better reputation in terms of board score average and match outcome.
Yeah I agree with you in terms of KCU being > than LMU, but I suppose I was more coming from the angle that it's KCU's satellite campus. I'm also just saying that OP will be fine either route they take (wherever their gut feeling leads them).

LMU DCOM blows avoid at all costs unless it’s your ownly acceptance.

KCU has always been a better school than LMU.
LMU has lots of issues which explains why they got Accreditation with warning. Avoid all the headaches and go KCU. Don't get me wrong all DO schools have their own issues, but some have more than others.
Does anyone know what issues are causing the accreditation warning at LMU?