This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KCU - Joplin vs UNECOM

• KCU - Joplin

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • UNECOM

Votes: 22 75.9%

• Total voters

Conflicted124

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys so this is my first post ever so bare with me. I am super grateful that I have been accepted to 2 great schools but currently I am conflicted about what school to choose. I have already put my deposit down for KCU Joplin so I guess I also need advice on how to recend my acceptance there if I choose UNECOM. About me: I'm from a suburb of NY and have also wanted to work in urban medicine with underserved communities in NYC. Currently I am pretty set on going into primary care but have some interest in OB/GYN and internal medicine - specifically GI, but most likely I don't think I want to specalize. Fortunately, cost isn't an issue for me. I am currently leaning towards UNECOM right now but my main concern is if I go there will I have to stick to primary care? What school do think will help me prepare for the boards? Also how do I dreadful the withdrawal letter for KCU?

Members don't see this ad.

Most D.O.'s end up in primary care no matter where they go. Look up the match rates for each school for more specifics.

I believe KCU has board prep built into their curriculum, which can be a good or bad thing. Ultimately how you do on boards is up to you, but if you want a more structured prep, then KCU might be for you.

To withdraw, you literally call or email them stating that you want to withdraw. Unfortunately, I don't think KCU refunds your deposit though.

Most D.O.'s end up in primary care no matter where they go. Look up the match rates for each school for more specifics.

I believe KCU has board prep built into their curriculum, which can be a good or bad thing. Ultimately how you do on boards is up to you, but if you want a more structured prep, then KCU might be for you.

To withdraw, you literally call or email them stating that you want to withdraw. Unfortunately, I don't think KCU refunds your deposit though.
Thank you for the advice!

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys so this is my first post ever so bare with me. I am super grateful that I have been accepted to 2 great schools but currently I am conflicted about what school to choose. I have already put my deposit down for KCU Joplin so I guess I also need advice on how to recend my acceptance there if I choose UNECOM. About me: I'm from a suburb of NY and have also wanted to work in urban medicine with underserved communities in NYC. Currently I am pretty set on going into primary care but have some interest in OB/GYN and internal medicine - specifically GI, but most likely I don't think I want to specalize. Fortunately, cost isn't an issue for me. I am currently leaning towards UNECOM right now but my main concern is if I go there will I have to stick to primary care? What school do think will help me prepare for the boards? Also how do I dreadful the withdrawal letter for KCU?

Either school will work for your interests. I went with UNECOM because the curriculum is more up my alley, and Joplin is too new. There are always growing pains for a new school.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would say if you're 100% set on going into primary care then go to UNECOM. As someone mentioned above, KCU's curriculum prepares you really well for boards, but I understand that many think that the curriculum is excessively hard. How much dedicated board prep time do you get at UNECOM? You get 6 weeks at KCU.

I would say if you're 100% set on going into primary care then go to UNECOM. As someone mentioned above, KCU's curriculum prepares you really well for boards, but I understand that many think that the curriculum is excessively hard. How much dedicated board prep time do you get at UNECOM? You get 6 weeks at KCU.

Not sure how much official prep time you have but with no mandatory attendance many are just at home studying for boards.

Just my two cents...i don't know UNECOM.i absolutely loved KCU Joplin though

Not sure how much official prep time you have but with no mandatory attendance many are just at home studying for boards.

They are changing things around for this next year, so that school will end Mid April and we will have 6-7 full weeks for dedicated study time.

Reactions: 1 user
They are changing things around for this next year, so that school will end Mid April and we will have 6-7 full weeks for dedicated study time.

Ahhh yeah I know about the change, is that why?

UNE also has board prep as part of our curriculum during the summer. This is new as of my class.

UNE also has board prep as part of our curriculum during the summer. This is new as of my class.
After looking at UNECOM's match rates, they seem to be fairly open to those not going for primary care. Do you feel that is a somewhat fair assessment based on that metric? I'm interested in EM (it may change once in med school as I'm aware), but do you think that UNECOM is a place where it isn't unnecessarily difficult to practice something that isn't FM?

After looking at UNECOM's match rates, they seem to be fairly open to those not going for primary care. Do you feel that is a somewhat fair assessment based on that metric? I'm interested in EM (it may change once in med school as I'm aware), but do you think that UNECOM is a place where it isn't unnecessarily difficult to practice something that isn't FM?

I think that is really going to be more dependent on the student rather than the school itself. UNE is a well known school and our grads go on to pretty great places.

I’d say that if you have interests outside of primary care, you will have options here. We have many non primary care specialty clubs that are very active on campus. You won’t be looked down upon if you have aspirations for something outside of FM if that answers your question.