KCU vs PCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Heyyyya12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am super thankful to have to choose between two awesome schools this cycle. However as the dec deposit deadline gets closer, I’m struggling to choose between KCU and PCOM. As far as I am aware, they are very comparable according to student success rates? It seems like both schools are producing students who are getting into great residency programs. As for me, I think I would like to pursue emergency med. I would really appreciate any and all insight!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Either would be fine for emergency medicine. I think for the first 2 years you would be a getting a great education, but PCOM might have better rotations, I don't know?

Is there anything else you look for in a school that would help impact your decision? Distance to family perhaps?

Last edited:
Where you accepted to the KC campus? If not, then the choice kind of become obvious.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why is that? Joplin students actually have better rotation sites IMO.
I know that for a fact, but in EM as well?

I know joplin is the perfect site for hands on training and was suppsoed to be geared toward PCP residencies. I might be wrong on this one though, just didnt think EM qualified as PCP thus my response.

Reactions: 1 user
PCOM and its not even close IMO. Access to research, better rotations, less hellish curriculum, Philly.... I would choose PCOM and not look back.

Reactions: 1 users

I know joplin is the perfect site for hands on training and was suppsoed to be geared toward PCP residencies. I might be wrong on this one though, just didnt think EM qualified as PCP thus my response.
I would argue that Joplin is actually better for EM. Freeman (hospital in Joplin and one of the main rotation sites for Joplin students) actually has an ER residency. Larger city =/= more pahtology/exposure sometimes especially when you're sharing rotations sites with other schools.

PCOM and its not even close IMO. Access to research, better rotations, less hellish curriculum, Philly.... I would choose PCOM and not look back.
What do you mean?? I think KCU main campus has access to the same ressources.

KCU may have access to reseach, but the curriculum just doesn't cater to research outside of class if that makes sense. I think the better rotation sites are only marginally better as usually east coast > midwest when it comes to residency prestige.

There are so many med schools in Philly and so much research / medicine that it would be hard not to find opportunities if you were a go-getter. KCU's curriculum makes it so you dont have time to pursue anything outside of studying for lecture.

Reactions: 2 users
A big thing which doesn't get discussed on SDN as much is personal fit. Your school is literally going to be your next home. When choosing a school and both being comparable (as in this case where there isn't necessarily a clear-cut winner), ask yourself where you'd feel more comfortable at and where do you imagine yourself thriving the most.

All DO schools are “geared towards PCP residencies.” Joplin as an EM residency at Freeman.

KCU has a dearth if research and their rotations are not as good as PCOM’s comparatively. I would also argue that the Joplin campus is actually better for readearch because of the in town residency programs that will now need to be pumping out research for the ACGME accreditation. However, I think the decision should be PCOM as it is simply the better school resource wise. They have any in house residency you can want, in almost every field. Being located in what is historically the medical Mecca of the US is also an advantage.