KCU vs UNE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

outwardbound

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm deciding between these two schools and I'd love your thoughts.

KCUMB KC campus
pros:
  • high board score averages- potentially due to the famous rigorous academics here at KCU
  • one of the first osteopathic medical schools-great reputation
  • has one of the best military track programs: clubs, courses, faculty with service experience (I am HPSP)
  • students tend to specialize in other areas besides primary care (I don't know what I want to do yet but I like that it has that option)
  • doesn't have a huge emphasis on OMM--(I want to learn OMM to use it for future patients if it would help them but don't want to solely practice OMM)
  • in a large city with a more urban demographic for clinical exposure or volunteer work (I would have to find on my own) and activities to do after tests
  • less time in lecture and lab according to AACOMAS for the first two years (589 hours in lecture and 269 in lab) allows for more outside studying... apparently that is preferable according to current medical students
  • has a history of medical students placing in more prestigious military residencies (Madigan, EM, ortho...)

cons:
  • letter grading
  • limited clinical experiences the first two years
  • large class size ~260
  • large city- may get distracted more easily?

UNE
pros:
  • established and respected within the DO and New England community
  • required clinical hours within the first two years
  • closer to home (a 4 hour drive to CT instead of a 4 hour plane ride)-- granted I went to college in California and don't have an issue being far away from family so not an end all be all
  • small town where studying would be the main priority but also 20 mins from Portland to have fun after a large test once or twice a year
  • smaller class size
  • Pass/fail grading system
  • 4th year rotations are up to us... this might allow me to do more military rotations or could also be a con as I would have to set up all of the rotations myself

cons:
  • graduates tend to specialize in family medicine or geriatrics (not something I see myself doing but who knows)
  • small rural town, not a large exposure to patients
  • doesn't have a military track program
  • spend more hours in the classroom for the first two years (according to AACOMAS its 1119 hours in lecture and 622 hours in lab)

All in all I think I like the more relaxed vibe of the town on the beach and small town feel/community of UNE but I think KCU would prepare me better in the classroom for boards.

I'd love any feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
This is a good analysis. I am also choosing between these 2 schools (New England native). A couple of other things to consider:

UNE is ~10k more per year than KCU.

UNE is integrated with the undergrad population. More of a "team/ school spirit." Pros and cons to this.

UNE is a "safer" area per say. Opportunity to live in a beach house where most people vacation (comparable rent to KCU)

UNE's rotations are all concentrated in the Northeast region which sets you up well to match in the area. KCU has some cool spots in FL, CO, CA, etc.

UNE is currently working out their 2nd year attendance policy (unclear if this will change by the time we're 2nd years). KCU has optional attendance

UNE has arguably one of the best anatomy programs in the country but also places a huge emphasis on OMM

UNE= seafood, KCU= steak

UNE has a 40+ year alumni network compared to KCU's 100+

I feel your pain!

Great comments! I talked to current UNE students who were first years and they said that the faculty has been a little bit more relaxed on the mandatory attendance policy. They say most lectures are optional but most of the lab work and small group discussion is required.

I don't have to worry about price because of my mil scholarship but that would definitely be a big plus in my eyes.

I also don't mind the rotations (geographical area) so much. If you look at where students are going to residency from both KCU and UNE it's all over the country. It's also a little different for me because of the mil match.

Reactions: 1 user