KCUMB Class of 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's pretty great. Is the USMLE test avg still at 227 with 150ish ppl taking it?

Unless other people are getting e-mails I'm not, then yes. I don't even know where that number came from. Apparently they're telling your class things they're not telling us, lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Kruse said that 227 is up like 4 points from the average the MS4's had on Step 1, definitely significant.

Last year the national average was 229, the year before it was 230, maybe it will go down another point this year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone in here in any of the specialty tracks?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

I wonder how many in our class will be in them, besides maybe a handful in surgery or im. Them making the 3.5 requirement real was kinda crazy though.

I am scared about going into it and then changing my mind about specialty haha

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I believe someone on the last page said that means you should avoid the specialty tracks then. Hell, I'm 95% sure I know where I'm going to end up, but it makes me iffy on doing the tracks.... Well since I don't have a 3.5 it doesn't matter either way haha

I mean, 227 still isn't a bad average though. Assuming the national average ends up being ~230 like it has been, that's not bad at all.
Last I checked it was just under 226. Don't forget that only people who think they can do well on step 1 are taking the exam. The average is already inflated..

Last I checked it was just under 226. Don't forget that only people who think they can do well on step 1 are taking the exam. The average is already inflated..

Kruse's last mention of it last week put it at about a 226.9 or something. But yah, I guess we will have to wait for our class to take the boards before we can say that the Dubin curriculum failed or worked.

Sure it's probably a little inflated, but 150 people taking it is twice as many people as a lot of med schools have in their entire class. Plus 3-4 points off the average in either direction is pretty insignificant considering the standard deviation is traditionally around 20 points.

Kruse's last mention of it last week put it at about a 226.9 or something. But yah, I guess we will have to wait for our class to take the boards before we can say that the Dubin curriculum failed or worked.

I think it's pretty safe to say it definitely worked for COMLEX but didn't have much effect for USMLE. I'm guessing a significant part of the difference is in the biochem/genetics and especially histology sections. I know histo crushed me in my Qbanks, and it's probably because we get almost no exposure to it as a DO school.

How's everyones rotations going so far?

I'm in IM right now and it's good. Super chill. Mostly shadowing but seeing a lot of different kinds of patients and learning my way around Epic. It took me a week to really get the hang of things and enjoy it though. Hours are great.. usually at the hospital for 5-6 hours. An extra 2 hours if I'm on-call.

Reactions: 1 user
Sure it's probably a little inflated, but 150 people taking it is twice as many people as a lot of med schools have in their entire class. Plus 3-4 points off the average in either direction is pretty insignificant considering the standard deviation is traditionally around 20 points.

I think it's pretty safe to say it definitely worked for COMLEX but didn't have much effect for USMLE. I'm guessing a significant part of the difference is in the biochem/genetics and especially histology sections. I know histo crushed me in my Qbanks, and it's probably because we get almost no exposure to it as a DO school.

It may be that our curriculum generally doesn't favor significant amounts of integration either. Systems are well... system specificy.

Also apparently they've been lying to us hard if histo is actually tested. Why the hell would they do that?

It may be that our curriculum generally doesn't favor significant amounts of integration either. Systems are well... system specificy.

Also apparently they've been lying to us hard if histo is actually tested. Why the hell would they do that?

There aren't histo pictures on COMLEX which is why it's not in our curriculum. However there are on USMLE. COMLEX might give you a description of what you'd see on microscopy, but it's definitely not histo heavy at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
There aren't histo pictures on COMLEX which is why it's not in our curriculum. However there are on USMLE. COMLEX might give you a description of what you'd see on microscopy, but it's definitely not histo heavy at all.

I had ONE histo slide on my real COMLEX. But you didn't really need to know what it was by the slide to answer the question.

Reactions: 1 users
I had ONE histo slide on my real COMLEX. But you didn't really need to know what it was by the slide to answer the question.

How many histo questions were on your real usmle tho?

How many histo questions were on your real usmle tho?

My exam experience only, histo was tested conceptually, similar to what you would see in UWorld. An example (not on my exam) would be to show you someone with chronic bronchitis and asking which layer would show an increased Reid index. Or showing you a koilocyte and asking the mechanism behind what you are seeing. I would guess about 2/3 of questions had some form of image like US, CT, Xray, angiography, micro bugs, lesion etc. Make sure you know what each of the micro bugs look like...I had like 6-7 on mine where you had to know what you were looking at just to answer the question. Anytime you come across a bug during your studies, look it up on google and an make anki deck of the pictures

My exam experience only, histo was tested conceptually, similar to what you would see in UWorld. An example (not on my exam) would be to show you someone with chronic bronchitis and asking which layer would show an increased Reid index. Or showing you a koilocyte and asking the mechanism behind what you are seeing. I would guess about 2/3 of questions had some form of image like US, CT, Xray, angiography, micro bugs, lesion etc. Make sure you know what each of the micro bugs look like...I had like 6-7 on mine where you had to know what you were looking at just to answer the question. Anytime you come across a bug during your studies, look it up on google and an make anki deck of the pictures

Good to know. Thank you. Do you suggest taking an online "YouTube" histology class so that we can be exposed to it at least?

Good to know. Thank you. Do you suggest taking an online "YouTube" histology class so that we can be exposed to it at least?

No need, pathoma + FA have everything you need to know about histology. Both of these should be your bible throughout the year. Just know the pathognomonic findings and basic concepts which you should see in those resources. Keep in mind that my step 1 was like 80% pathophysiology. Questions specifically asking the mechanism behind symptoms or the disease itself. Don't get too lost trying to learn lower yield stuff.

I have no idea if I'm actually learning anything

Haha. Some days I feel the same. And then others, like today, I learn a lot.
I know I'm learning that about 1/2 your day is filling out EMR.....which sucks.

Haha. Some days I feel the same. And then others, like today, I learn a lot.
I know I'm learning that about 1/2 your day is filling out EMR.....which sucks.

What rotation is that

I'm on surgery rotation

That applies to my IM rotation too. 3/4 of the time is spent putting in orders and dictating notes. 1/4 of the time is with the patient. Longer time is needed when you have a pt with lots of family who have questions on questions on questions.

Regardless of what's happening in our rotations it's still much better than being in neuro ii....or having to read Robbins. Lol.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm on 12 hr days in IM 4-6 days a week. Is anyone else kind of like this and kind of worried about their shelf?

Any recommendations on second year OS and specifically cranial competencies and tests?

How are vacations and breaks handled in 3rd and 4th year?

It's dependent on your preceptor and your core site. I know in some places, like Denver, students are on a four week rotation schedule instead of a month to month one, so they end up finishing their last rotation of the year on Dec 18th and don't start their next one until January 1st, which gives them a Christmas break. In KC you're on month to month, so for example my December rotation ends on the 30th with my shelf exam and my January rotation starts right away on the 1st. Whether you break for holidays depends on who you're working with- if they get Christmas off, so do you; if they don't, then you're working too. Some of the nice ones may let you go on vacation even if they're working. There are no "official" breaks or vacations like there were first and second year.

Is anyone in here in any of the specialty tracks?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

I'm in the peds track, and you're welcome to PM me if you have any questions! Obviously I won't know a whole lot this early in the year haha, but I can still try to help.

How are vacations and breaks handled in 3rd and 4th year?

Sometimes you'll get a whole week off if you get lucky and your doc works 7 on, 7 off. Definitely nice if you want to do some traveling!

Docs at my hospital are super chill and if you need a day off to study for shelves, they really don't mind and will let you. I'm sure if you asked them to take a day off if you have a wedding to go to, they'd more than happy to let you go. I'm at a small community hospital so I think that's why the docs let us do whatever but I hear the teaching hospitals are more intense so idk about those.

Sometimes you'll get a whole week off if you get lucky and your doc works 7 on, 7 off. Definitely nice if you want to do some traveling!

Docs at my hospital are super chill and if you need a day off to study for shelves, they really don't mind and will let you. I'm sure if you asked them to take a day off if you have a wedding to go to, they'd more than happy to let you go. I'm at a small community hospital so I think that's why the docs let us do whatever but I hear the teaching hospitals are more intense so idk about those.

How do you like your rotation site? Would you recommend it?

It's alright but would not be my first choice due to location. I'm not in the boonies, but its an incredibly small town.

Pros of a small community hospital:
Most of the doctors know each other. My IM doctor introduced me to almost every doc at the hospital = good for connections
Because not a lot of KCU students are rotating here, we have a small presence at the hospital. So maybe that's why they're not stringent with us?
Relaxed atmosphere, all the doctors are incredibly nice, super chill and are eager to talk with you during lunch in the physicians lounge
No residents = lots of one-on-one interaction with the attending. They really get to know you and will invite you over for dinner at their house, take you out to eat, etc. That will get you better letters of rec, in my opinion
Very reasonable hours. You'll have lots of free time. only one rotation where you have to do night call.

Cons:
not a Level 1 trauma center so ER is kinda slow
Lots of down time
No didactics (but honestly dont know how beneficial these are?? Anyone know?)

What are you looking for in a rotation site? The advice you get on how to pick your site will be largely based on what you want out of it.

What are you looking for in a rotation site? The advice you get on how to pick your site will be largely based on what you want out of it.

Teaches a lot, good staff/doctors, some time off to study for boards or shelfs, close enough to places or participates in their own research. I'd also like a site where everything is relatively close, i.e if I do need to commute have it be under 30 minutes away.

So how much of this pharm is worth remembering and what's a good way of remembering it?