KCUMB Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
But if you have some professors that are excited/enthused about OMM or any subject that they teach, it makes learning it a lot easier, and also gives more motivation to practice it as well. I am just looking for quality education.

You can learn OMM decently here at KCUMB, given the appropriate effort, but I wouldn't exactly call it extraordinary or anything, in terms of focus and/or instruction.

How are the clinical rotations?

This is a good question. You'll want to dig more into this. Look at the core sites available for third year and where they are located. Are they in areas that appeal to you? Definitely know what you are getting into. I can't tell you what the rotations are like, since I start them next year, but I can say that I wasn't too overly impressed by the list of core sites; they seem okay to me and were in areas that I didn't particularly care for, but will tolerate for an education.

At KCUMB, you can pick three choices of core sites for your third year, your top choice and two backups. If your top choice has fewer slots available than the number of people applying, my understanding is that there is a lottery for those slots. If you don't get matched to your top spot, then it falls onto the backups (which hopefully still have spots open and available after first picks are done). For fourth year, with the exception of a few core rotations, you are on your own. You have to initiate contact with hospitals about rotations you are interested in doing and negotiate them, with the help of KCUMB.
 
I just sent off my secondary today to KCUMB. How long did it take to hear back about an interview invite?
 
This is a good question. You'll want to dig more into this. Look at the core sites available for third year and where they are located. Are they in areas that appeal to you? Definitely know what you are getting into. I can't tell you what the rotations are like, since I start them next year, but I can say that I wasn't too overly impressed by the list of core sites; they seem okay to me and were in areas that I didn't particularly care for, but will tolerate for an education.

At KCUMB, you can pick three choices of core sites for your third year, your top choice and two backups. If your top choice has fewer slots available than the number of people applying, my understanding is that there is a lottery for those slots. If you don't get matched to your top spot, then it falls onto the backups (which hopefully still have spots open and available after first picks are done). For fourth year, with the exception of a few core rotations, you are on your own. You have to initiate contact with hospitals about rotations you are interested in doing and negotiate them, with the help of KCUMB.

I looked at the core sites for third year and I have a question. I'm interested in doing my residency on the East Coast, not in PA, NY, or NJ. It's my understanding that "audition" rotations are done towards the end of third year. Is that right? And if so, would I be allowed to do an audition rotation or two at a hospital not on that list?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I looked at the core sites for third year and I have a question. I'm interested in doing my residency on the East Coast, not in PA, NY, or NJ. It's my understanding that "audition" rotations are done towards the end of third year. Is that right? And if so, would I be allowed to do an audition rotation or two at a hospital not on that list?

Well, I think that you pretty much have to do all of your third year rotations at the core site that you match into. My recollection, however, is that there is but a single elective during your third year, which you can probably do anywhere you want, as long as negotiate with them and the school; your student administrator should help you with that and all other stuff related to rotations. Your fourth year is just the opposite. It has a couple of required core rotations, but the rest (vast majority of the year) are electives which do not have to come from hospitals on the KCUMB core site list. You are essentially free to go out there and create your own electives at hospitals that you want to rotate at, as long as you follow certain guidelines. People generally use a large part of fourth year to "audition" at programs that they might want to match into for the residency match. The school helps you with the paper work, but you have to contact the programs and ask to rotate there. However, you are correct that they do not have to come from the list of KCUMB core sites.
 
I got in!!!!!!😍 I'm going to be a doctor!!!

I am a MSI now at KCUMB from Texas. I really like it here and I am so excited for you to become a part of the Class of 2013! Everyone here is super helpful and friendly.
 
Congrats!!! Where in Dallas are you from? I'm from Wylie, it's near Plano. There are about 10 people from Texas in the 2012 class.


Thanks! I live in Dallas, near Richardson. It seems like there are quite a few people from the Dallas area that go to KCUMB.

I'm still waiting on a few other schools, but I loved KCUMB.
 
I am a MSI now at KCUMB from Texas. I really like it here and I am so excited for you to become a part of the Class of 2013! Everyone here is super helpful and friendly.


Thanks Kimmi! What city are you from?
 
Well, I think that you pretty much have to do all of your third year rotations at the core site that you match into. My recollection, however, is that there is but a single elective during your third year, which you can probably do anywhere you want, as long as negotiate with them and the school; your student administrator should help you with that and all other stuff related to rotations. Your fourth year is just the opposite. It has a couple of required core rotations, but the rest (vast majority of the year) are electives which do not have to come from hospitals on the KCUMB core site list. You are essentially free to go out there and create your own electives at hospitals that you want to rotate at, as long as you follow certain guidelines. People generally use a large part of fourth year to "audition" at programs that they might want to match into for the residency match. The school helps you with the paper work, but you have to contact the programs and ask to rotate there. However, you are correct that they do not have to come from the list of KCUMB core sites.

I see. Thanks! I was under the impression the audition rotations took place third year. It makes much more sense now. I appreciate it!
 
Anyone have an opinion of KCUMB vs. CCOM?

Hey Doggie I just saw you question. I haven't been on here since school started, but its kinda cool I can put faces to the screen names now.
Anyways, I did the MBS program at CCOM/MWU so I'll try to give some insight. I didn't have any experience with the clinical education but he basic science classes are probably comparable to KCUMB. The big difference that lead me to choose KCUMB was the systems based curriculum. I have a pretty strong basic sciences background so I didn't want to wait around another year before I started learning something new and "doctorish." For example, we are in the musculoskeletal section right now. In the last 3 weeks of the section we've learned muscle path, infections of muscle, pharm, anatomy, and some diagnosing and treatment of upper limb problems. If you look at CCOMs schedule, since Aug to thanksgiving, they have biochem, histology, anatomy, OMM and a clinical med class. The second years are just now starting pham, path, and micro. While they're learning glycolysis, we've learned now how to recognize spondololysis on a film or Duchenne's muscular dystrophy on a micrograph, and that just the first 2 weeks of this section. We also have talking robots 😉.
Aesthetically, CCOM is a much nicer, safer campus. Its gated with security and surround by a woods and multi-million dollar homes. KCUMB is kinda in the ghetto. Its surrounded by hookers and homeless; its really not that bad. BUT, CCOM is also in suburbs while KCUMB is like 2 minutes from downtown. You have to decide if appearance or education is more important to you. If CCOM had KCUMB's curriculum, I would have stayed there.
I don't know a ton about the rotations. Most are there in the Chicago suburbs, some actually downtown. You can do a rotation through Cook County and see all kinds of crazy stuff, and its suppose to be the hospital "ER" is based out of. Spiced talk about the KCUMB's. They're all over the country and in KC. I really don't know anything about them.
If you have any more questions please let me know and I'll try to answer or ask friends that stayed at CCOM.
 
is it hard to convince non-core sites to let you rotate?

Not usually, provided they have the space to take you on during the time that you want. I think most academic-type hospitals are used to these sort of things and have established procedures for them. Some will even put you up and feed you while you are there. I bet there are a good number of programs out there that see this as sort of a recruiting opportunity for their residency programs; they are probably trying you on as much as you are trying them on.
 
At KCUMB, you can pick three choices of core sites for your third year, your top choice and two backups. If your top choice has fewer slots available than the number of people applying, my understanding is that there is a lottery for those slots. If you don't get matched to your top spot, then it falls onto the backups (which hopefully still have spots open and available after first picks are done). For fourth year, with the exception of a few core rotations, you are on your own. You have to initiate contact with hospitals about rotations you are interested in doing and negotiate them, with the help of KCUMB.

I want to amend my comment by saying that the rotation match process is far more complex than I implied. All the students' choices are run through a computer program, oh, I don't know, maybe 100 times or something, and they pick the best outcome of all the computer-generated scenarios, which means that there is some chance that you won't be getting your first choice, even if it isn't completely filled. I think the bias is toward the most beneficial outcome for the group-at-large.
 
😍 Just got back in town and found an acceptance letter from KCUMB!

MJ- Congrats! Did we take the shuttle back together? I'm from the Midwest...
 
😍 Just got back in town and found an acceptance letter from KCUMB!

MJ- Congrats! Did we take the shuttle back together? I'm from the Midwest...


Maybe. I stayed at the Q hotel, did we go to Chilli's together??
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is my seat still secured if I don't send in the money till the due date? Is any other action needed after receiving the acceptance to ensure that you have a place at KCUMB? I thought that most schools ask for a verbal commitment, but I didn't see any request for a response on the acceptnce letter (besides the 1000 to hold spot).

I'm waiting on Texas schools to get back to me (sometime after Nov. 15th), tuition is super cheap for residents.
 
Is my seat still secured if I don't send in the money till the due date? Is any other action needed after receiving the acceptance to ensure that you have a place at KCUMB? I thought that most schools ask for a verbal commitment, but I didn't see any request for a response on the acceptnce letter (besides the 1000 to hold spot).

I'm waiting on Texas schools to get back to me (sometime after Nov. 15th), tuition is super cheap for residents.

I didnt see anything in the form about giving a verbal acceptance. My interpretation of it was our spot was secure until dec 15 regardless of payment or verbal commitment. Any one else have a take on this?
 
I didnt see anything in the form about giving a verbal acceptance. My interpretation of it was our spot was secure until dec 15 regardless of payment or verbal commitment. Any one else have a take on this?

Yeah I would say that's about right. If you all received an acceptance from the school, I am assuming you also received a hard letter in the mail, unless you called them to find out prior to the letter. Anyways, in the acceptance letter, it says to pay the deposit by Dec. 15th to secure your spot in class. I think that about says it.
 
Yeah I would say that's about right. If you all received an acceptance from the school, I am assuming you also received a hard letter in the mail, unless you called them to find out prior to the letter. Anyways, in the acceptance letter, it says to pay the deposit by Dec. 15th to secure your spot in class. I think that about says it.


are the only acceptances out right now from ppl who interviewed on sept 16th?
 
😍 Just got back in town and found an acceptance letter from KCUMB!

MJ- Congrats! Did we take the shuttle back together? I'm from the Midwest...

When did you interview? I interviewed on 9/29 and am waiting to hear back.
 
I interviewed on the 25th, and the interviewers told me I would be notified by 9/6. I received a letter that day. . . you should hear from them soon. Good luck!
 
Anyone interviewing at KCUMB this thursday?
Pretty excited for it, leaving for kansas city tomorrow.
Hopefully some decent places near the hotel to get food and what not...
 
Did anyone else who snail mailed their secondary have it returned as "not deliverable as addressed?" (when actually the address is perfect?) What the heck is going on? Wondering if this happened to anyone else since it would be the same address?
 
Maybe. I stayed at the Q hotel, did we go to Chilli's together??

That we did... I still haven't decided which is my #1 between DMU and KCUMB... we are more focused on selling the house at this point! 😱

How was AZ? Good luck with your other apps! :luck:
 
I'll be there thursday. I was there a few weeks ago for another interview, and ate at this place called Jack Stacks. Never had barbecue like that before, it was soooo good. Cya there.
 
I'll be there thursday. I was there a few weeks ago for another interview, and ate at this place called Jack Stacks. Never had barbecue like that before, it was soooo good. Cya there.

went to jack stacks at the plaza during my interview...highly recommend! They have various menu options where you can try a sample of just about anything which was nice never having been there before. get burnt ends! gl at the interview!
 
Just got my pre-secondary interview invite! I'm pretty excited. It seems like everything is happening at once with all the applications, interviews, flights. Hopefully I don't go bankrupt.

ehhh, i figured i'd just get used to being in debt already :laugh:

on the flipside.. i am GOING CRAZY waiting to find out the results of my 9/29 interview!!!!!1 AHHHHHHHHHHH:bang:
 
So I couldn't wait any longer and decided to call KCUMB yesterday to see if they had mailed out the letters for those of us😕 that interview on the 29th of september. I talked to a women in admissions that said that the review/admission board had met this week but had not released any of their decisions (as of 3pm CT). It kind of makes me wonder how all of those letters are going to get to people by the 20th if they don't send them out soon.

Good luck to everyone. 😕
 
I'll be there thursday. I was there a few weeks ago for another interview, and ate at this place called Jack Stacks. Never had barbecue like that before, it was soooo good. Cya there.

dangit! i tried to go to this place but by the time i got my to my hotel and walked to the plaza it had just closed. if they accept me ill get to go back and try it 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I couldn't wait any longer and decided to call KCUMB yesterday to see if they had mailed out the letters for those of us😕 that interview on the 29th of september. I talked to a women in admissions that said that the review/admission board had met this week but had not released any of their decisions (as of 3pm CT). It kind of makes me wonder how all of those letters are going to get to people by the 20th if they don't send them out soon.

Good luck to everyone. 😕

Do you mean that good or bad news from KCUMB will only arrive via letter by 10/20th? I am waiting to still hear as well.
 
I just mailed my secondary today...I really like KCUMB and hope to get an interview. How long does it take to receive an interview invite after you're complete???
 
I was told during my interview (10/16) that we would find out by 11/3. So i'm guessing people who interviewed in september or early october will find out in the next week. Good Luck!!
 
Tommorow is the day they told us (9/29 interview) that we would receive our letters by.. so here's to some hopefully good news tomorrow!
 
They said they would let us know by 10/20, but my mail already came and there was nothing! Slight delay perhaps.
 
They said they would let us know by 10/20, but my mail already came and there was nothing! Slight delay perhaps.

no mail for me today either.. maybe it's delayed a day because of the federal holiday last week?
blah. i just wanna know!
 
I didn't get mine either yesterday. 🙁 Does anyone know if KCUMB does a wait list as well, or is it just an acceptance or rejection?
 
So I interviewed 9/29, and am a very impatient person, so I emailed someone in the admissions office and asked if decisions had been made and if letters had been sent out.. she replied with "congrats you've been accepted!"🙂 woo hoo! She also said that letters were sent out on Monday.. sooo everyone should be getting them probably today or tomorow!

pretty sure im going here, unless i get off the waitlist @ DMU (can live w/ my dad for free there! save some $$$).. so good luck to everyone! See you in c/o 2013!!

:soexcited::soexcited::claps:
 
I interviewed on 10/7/08, and i received my notification today. So if you interviewed around that date, you should be getting yours soon.
 
so........ I had an awesome interview yesterday....... I mean AWESOME... I felt that I was already accepted when I walked out. Now, I am feeling pessimistic because getting into med school is never that easy. 🙁
 
so........ I had an awesome interview yesterday....... I mean AWESOME... I felt that I was already accepted when I walked out. Now, I am feeling pessimistic because getting into med school is never that easy. 🙁

I didn't think I had an amazing interview, I thought it went well, but nothing special. and i got accepted! you'll be just fine!! Who did you interview with?? is this your top choice?? GOOD LUCK!!🙂
 
so........ I had an awesome interview yesterday....... I mean AWESOME... I felt that I was already accepted when I walked out. Now, I am feeling pessimistic because getting into med school is never that easy. 🙁

Generally speaking, it's hard to be objective in evaluating your own interview performance. Just sit back and let it go, since it's now pretty much out of your hands (much easier said than done). Go do something fun; take your mind off it.

Speaking more specifically with respect to KCUMB, the odds, I think, favor your acceptance if you interview. In this sense, your first hunch is probably right on the money. I get the sense that KCUMB screens more heavily in the pre-interview stage and if you are invited to an interview, that means they already think you have what it takes, at least that's what I've gathered.

Anyway, good luck. 🙂
 
so........ I had an awesome interview yesterday....... I mean AWESOME... I felt that I was already accepted when I walked out. Now, I am feeling pessimistic because getting into med school is never that easy. 🙁

Mine was awesome too, I know exactly how you feel. Hopefully we've got some good news coming our way, good luck!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just called and.....I GOT IN!!!!!!! They probably sent the decisions in the mail but I couldn't wait!! I might be parking it in Kansas City this next fall!!!!!
 
I also interviewed 10/16, guess I'll call in tomorrow and hassle them 🙂
kind of surprised they made the decisions so quickly
 
They'll send you your decision via email too if you email them.. =) And they review every other friday, so it may take 3 weeks, may take 1-2.. depends on when you interview!

Congrats DoktorB!! Maybe I'll be seeing you there this fall!!! 🙂 i'm probably gonna go there unless I get off DMUs waitlist.