KCUMB Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

We are doing this to cut down on the traffic of threads so it makes it easier for people to find information about a school.

Members don't see this ad.

So, who out there is considering applying to KCUMB for the class of 2013?

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied as well.

I will be in KCUMB's class of 2013. :D

.... what is it about KCUMB that made you want to choose it over other schools? I am just curious, I figure you all have shopped around at various schools and landed on this one so just wondering what attracted you to it.

Also, VERY IMPORTANT - those of you who will be applying or did already apply, make sure you don't schedule your interview until you are ready to commit to KCUMB! Once you interview, if you get accepted you will be notified very soon after the interview (as soon as a few days, week or two at longest) and given a bit of an ultimatum - you will have 1 (or maybe 2) weeks to either decline the offer or to put $1000 down that is non-refundable. There will be another $1000 due a week or two after that. Just FYI!!!

When I interviewed at KCUMB--I really liked the school and the students there. I had a very enjoyable day! I was accepted about 2 weeks later and I did not have to give ANY money for at least 1 month after acceptance. So all in all, I had 6 weeks after my interview at KCUMB to continue with my interviews at other schools BEFORE making a final decision. I interviewed in late Jan so I think I was pretty late or at least in the middle part of KCUMB' interviewing schedule.

Dude, I got accepted in september and had till mid december to put deposit 1 down. Take your negative comments elsewhere. You are gaining absolutely nothing by trying to discourage them from attending KCUMB. Its no front page news that a medical school is not perfect. Many people are very satisfied with their KCUMB experience.

.... what is it about KCUMB that made you want to choose it over other schools? I am just curious, I figure you all have shopped around at various schools and landed on this one so just wondering what attracted you to it.

Also, VERY IMPORTANT - those of you who will be applying or did already apply, make sure you don't schedule your interview until you are ready to commit to KCUMB! Once you interview, if you get accepted you will be notified very soon after the interview (as soon as a few days, week or two at longest) and given a bit of an ultimatum - you will have 1 (or maybe 2) weeks to either decline the offer or to put $1000 down that is non-refundable. There will be another $1000 due a week or two after that. Just FYI!!!

this is a lie, as others have said.

this is a lie, as others have said.

Not really, it depends on when you interview and are accepted. The scenario KCUMBscarCONTRT is quite plausible towards the end of interview season when they are trying to fill remaining seats. Moral of the story: regardless of where you apply, do it early.

Not really, it depends on when you interview and are accepted. The scenario KCUMBscarCONTRT is quite plausible towards the end of interview season when they are trying to fill remaining seats. Moral of the story: regardless of where you apply, do it early.

this is correct.. KCUMBscarCONTRTs post is incredibly misleading and dishonest.

IF you get accepted before january you have until january to send in your first deposit and then the second one isnt due until march.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Just found out that I'm going to be starting med school at KCUMB in 2009..yay!!:D:D:D I was accepted into their Master of Bioethics program and it comes with a guaranteed seat in the c/o 2013...can't wait to get started!

I thought you had to maintain a 3.0 ? Anyways, congrats

as someone who has been in grad school...maintaining a 3.0 shouldnt be all that difficult as you rarely get below a B

Last edited:
Ya, I wouldn't imagine you will have to difficult of a time keeping a 3.0 gpa if you are doing the one year program apart from the medical school - and then your in.

One quick question KST-Doc, did you apply to the school of medicine first or just strait into the bioethics program? Or did you apply for both? Also, if you are planning on attending the school of medicine after the masters program did you try applying to other med schools instead of the masters program? I'm just wondering since going through their masters program is such an expensive route into med school - but then KCUMB is one of the most expensive osteopathic schools in the country

:luck:

x

Last edited:
I am going to be in the KCUMB class of 2013!! I had been accepted into the class of 2012 but had to defer for a year. I am really looking forward to moving to KC and am especially looking forward to attending KCUMB. Good luck to all those in the application process. Don't sweat the small stuff. It is a great school and you will definitely get a sense of whether it will fit with you when you interview. I can't wait.:D

Hi everyone! Congrats Dmom and KSt doc for your acceptance/contigent acceptance. Has anyone received a secondary yet for KCUMB starting in fall '09?

Nevermind! I just called admissions and they haven't sent supplemental app. out to anyone yet. Good luck to everyone.

They will get rolling on you guys very quickly after they get us through orientation/whitecoating. :luck:

I am SOOOOOO jealous!!! I want to go there really bad....and RIGHT NOW!!!!

O-well. Good luck to everyone.
I guess I just need to do my premed time like everyone else had to do.

I've been searching both KCUMB and Rockhurst websites for this question and haven't found an answer:

Do I apply for the dual degree before my D.O. acceptance, or in the fall of my MSI?

I've been searching both KCUMB and Rockhurst websites for this question and haven't found an answer:

Do I apply for the dual degree before my D.O. acceptance, or in the fall of my MSI?

Once your accepted to the DO school this will be offered to you. Apps are due sometime in the fall. Not sure on the date because I have no interest in it.

I am going to be in the KCUMB class of 2013!! I had been accepted into the class of 2012 but had to defer for a year. I am really looking forward to moving to KC and am especially looking forward to attending KCUMB. Good luck to all those in the application process. Don't sweat the small stuff. It is a great school and you will definitely get a sense of whether it will fit with you when you interview. I can't wait.:D

Yea, me too! Congrats!

What I would really like to know is if anyone has the specifications on laptops so I can buy mine here soon. Thanks.

Good luck to everyone this year and I hope you are having fun at orientation! I wish I was there.

I received the secondary as well. Good luck everyone!

Anyone else stumped on the essay? What to write/how long?

:confused:

It's like a personal statement without a word limit :thumbup:

"I have more than a casual relationship with an osteopathic physician":laugh: (yes, immature, I know..)

HAHA :)

I'm sure that will get you in.

"I have more than a casual relationship with an osteopathic physician":laugh: (yes, immature, I know..)

No no, its actually a question on the KUMB secondary!:laugh::laugh: You then check True or False...haha

At other schools I have applied to, you apply to the dual degree program before acceptance, so I would assume it's the same at KCUMB.

Quick question about the secondary- On the checklist sheet, it lists "Certification Form" as part of what you're supposed to submit. What is the certification form?

At other schools I have applied to, you apply to the dual degree program before acceptance, so I would assume it's the same at KCUMB.

I assume you are referring to the dual, concurrent DO/MBA and/or the DO/MA (in bioethics)... The first step is to apply to and gain acceptance into the DO program. Then, after you have successfully matriculated into the COM, you'll have a chance to apply to either dual-degree program.

Quick question about the secondary- On the checklist sheet, it lists "Certification Form" as part of what you're supposed to submit. What is the certification form?

I'm a member of the class of 2011, so the secondary application that I completed may be different than yours. However, assuming that it is not, the "Certification Form" that you refer to should be one page 19, where you fill in your complete name, sign, and date the form, certifying that you have read and meet the requirements stated in the "Minimum Technical Standards for Admission and Matriculation" and the "Participation in Osteopathic Principles and Practice Laboratories" pages.

For those considering applying to KCUMB... I suggest you seriously rethink your options before selecting KCUMB. I am sure each medical school has their shortcomings and issues to address but KCUMB is definitely no exception. The school has lost numerous faculty over the last several years because of its "corrupt administration" (President Pletz) and is well known for providing a sub-standard clinical education during 3rd and 4th years (though this clearly will vary depending upon the site - but many are known for being quite poor).

Students are not valued at KCUMB by the administration. This is of course an opinion but it is a widely held opinion amongst the student body. The faculty who are still there do for the most part take an active interest in their students and there are some tremendous teachers. The administration, however, does not care about your education. At KCUMB you will be treated as a child and viewed as a dollar sign.

Administration does not work with students. Instead, they work against them. You will fight them to get what you rightly deserve considering the huge amount of tuition you will pay.

The president makes around 1.4million$ per year with compensation as everyone was informed last year in a mass email a concerned student sent out to the student body. That makes her like the 3rd highest paid med school president in the country!!! You can find this information on guidestar.org and it was reported in the Kansas City Star in 2007.

The president of the university is something of a tyrant at the school. She has done a lot to build the school up from near bankruptcy but putting the education of the student and the desires of the faculty first is not one of them.

The school recently hired a dean to replace the old one who quit, presumably due to conflict with the administration. The new dean is like 30 years old. I am sure he is an exceptional student/doctor etc but remember you are the one paying $40,000 per year for tuition - don't you deserve only the best.

It is widely known that KCUMB reads student email, a huge invasion of personal privacy.

During the summer between years 2 and 3 students are forced to remain in Kansas City and attend "summer courses". These are "filler" and only serve to allow the very small percent of students who participate in the MBA program to finish out the program while everyone else waits. This way they are not behind other students which is in KCUMB interests financially but not in the educational interests of most students. It amounts to a wasted summer. So while most med schools have their students participating in clinical rotations by June, July or August, you will not start them until September at KCUMB. This puts you at an automatic disadvantage to other students who you rotate with who already have several rotations under their belt.

It also puts you at a disadvantage when applying for residency because you will have only been able to complete from 0 to 2/3 elective rotations (the field you may want to go into, completed during 4th year) before applications should be submitted (depending upon the program). Basically you may have to commit to what you want to do before you have had a chance to really see if it is what you want.

I encourage anyone looking at KCUMB as a future school to investigate other osteopathic schools, including KCUMB, much more. Talk to current students online, search for them on facebook, etc. I am not talking about students used by the school to recruit. I am talking about regular students who will speak candidly. If you hear more than a few serious and intelligent concerns then assume there are many more you are not hearing.

I have not had any direct problems with KCUMB and do not harbor any individual grudges. I have been treated the same as all other students. I, however, believe students deserve a school that works in their interests instead of only the interests of the school's bank account. The KCUMB administration will do as little as they have to, especially during your 3rd and 4th years, where the drop off in education and direction is huge. By that time, however, it is too late for the student advocate. When a student tries to ask for better clinical rotations or a change in the curriculum they are not taken seriously. When students have continued to speak up about such issues they have been indirectly threatened with expulsion. With huge amounts of loan money hanging over your head you really have no recourse at that point. The administration is commonly known to bully any dissenting students.

I know right now all a premed is thinking about is "just get me in the door" and so did I but wow I wish I could have looked past that and really examined my potential schools hard. I'm just trying to save future students from the shortsightedness I fell victim to.

If you talk to students at the Oklahoma osteopathic school, NYCOM, UMDNJ, Kirksville, Arizona, New England, Michigan, etc and hear these same kinds of things then I guess the problem is more widespread than I was aware, but at least do yourself the service of going to that extra length.

Good luck to all of you on your journey to become doctors. If it is your desire to be a good one then nothing will stop you.

Concerned Student

Its pretty bush league to trash talk a thread filled with students that are actually looking forward to attending. This post looks suspiciously similar to one that a really ignorant 2010 student sent to the entire student body via email. I don't know how that particular student was disciplined, but I'm pretty sure that he and our friend "KCUMBscarCONTRT" are one and the same. Anyhow, as a KCUMB 4th year, I'm going to try to address some of these points. If anyone has any other specific questions about KCUMB but don't want to post in open forum, just send me a PM.

For those considering applying to KCUMB... I suggest you seriously rethink your options before selecting KCUMB. I am sure each medical school has their shortcomings and issues to address but KCUMB is definitely no exception. The school has lost numerous faculty over the last several years because of its "corrupt administration" (President Pletz) and is well known for providing a sub-standard clinical education during 3rd and 4th years (though this clearly will vary depending upon the site - but many are known for being quite poor).
About 1/2 of the students end up rotating throughout Kansas City for 3rd year rotations. By and large, these students receive excellent instruction (and also have the benefit of on campus didactics/lectures from KCUMB faculty once a week). Those other students that rotate away? Well, they CHOOSE to do so. Not only that, they have to win a lottery and be in solid academic standing to be given the opportunity to visit another site (of which YOU handpick your top three sites are only sent to sites you list). Are some of the away sites better than others? Probably. But I rotated away and was so satisfied my experience there that I chose to stick around for another rotation at the same hospital for a 4th year elective.

Your 4th year is entirely designed by you. KCUMB offers more 4th year electives than many other medical schools (which can be extremely valuable for a student interesting in matching into a competitive residency).

Students are not valued at KCUMB by the administration. This is of course an opinion but it is a widely held opinion amongst the student body. The faculty who are still there do for the most part take an active interest in their students and there are some tremendous teachers. The administration, however, does not care about your education. At KCUMB you will be treated as a child and viewed as a dollar sign.
Ahh, the professionalism policy. At first glance, it does seem a little strict. But in the grand scheme of things it really isn't that big of a deal. Essentially, students that are acting out of line or causing trouble are brought to the dean. This happens everywhere. Most of the time, you are told to not make the same mistake and that is the end of it. Only in instances where a student is a repeat offender and unable (or unwilling) to change, will they face action that will affect their academic standing/record.

The president makes around 1.4million$ per year with compensation as everyone was informed last year in a mass email a concerned student sent out to the student body. That makes her like the 3rd highest paid med school president in the country!!! You can find this information on guidestar.org and it was reported in the Kansas City Star in 2007.
And yet you neglect to mention how much money that same president brought to the school in the time she has been there. See all the new buildings on campus? News flash, they're not free.

The school recently hired a dean to replace the old one who quit, presumably due to conflict with the administration. The new dean is like 30 years old. I am sure he is an exceptional student/doctor etc but remember you are the one paying $40,000 per year for tuition - don't you deserve only the best.
I have not had the opportunity to meet the new dean, but I have heard that he is very good with students. I certainly wouldn't judge him based solely upon his age.

During the summer between years 2 and 3 students are forced to remain in Kansas City and attend "summer courses"...So while most med schools have their students participating in clinical rotations by June, July or August, you will not start them until September at KCUMB. This puts you at an automatic disadvantage to other students who you rotate with who already have several rotations under their belt.
Those "filler courses" are a 6 week orientation to prepare you for rotations. I think it could be shortened (and I was told that the school is looking into possibly doing so to add another month or two of rotations) but overall, I think most of us do just fine. Based upon my experience, I've heard that KCUMB students generally get very high marks from other preceptor physicians. I assume this is partly because we're instructed well during our 1st two years, partly because we're not completely clueless about routine clerkship procedures (that were taught during the summer "filler course") and partly because we've been conditioned not to act like idiots due to the professionalism policy.

It also puts you at a disadvantage when applying for residency because you will have only been able to complete from 0 to 2/3 elective rotations (the field you may want to go into, completed during 4th year) before applications should be submitted (depending upon the program). Basically you may have to commit to what you want to do before you have had a chance to really see if it is what you want.
Except that the primary goal of 3rd year clerkships is to provide you with instruction in core disciplines of medicine. Electives during 3rd year are nice, but not absolutely necessary.

The KCUMB administration will do as little as they have to, especially during your 3rd and 4th years, where the drop off in education and direction is huge.
Spoken by someone that has clearly not started rotations and thus no idea what they're talking about. The school does respond positively to students that bring up issues put through the RIGHT channels (i.e. through the clerkship coordinators, faculty and even the dean) in a TACTFUL manner. Certainly not like this.

I read somewhere that KCUMB only gives secondaries to candidates that stand a very good chance at getting interviewed. Any truth to this?

I read somewhere that KCUMB only gives secondaries to candidates that stand a very good chance at getting interviewed. Any truth to this?

You'll never get a straight answer to this. Almost every school sends out secondaries.

That said, I can say with confidence that if you are offered an interview at KCUMB that that it is essentially an acceptance (barring a complete disaster on the interview). They don't waste interview slots for students they don't plan to take.

Everyone is entitled to have an oppinion and to express it if need be; however I am sooo tired of hearing your negative A@* comments KCUMBscarCONTRT:mad:. WE GET IT. YOU DONT LIKE KCUMB.

Anyway, with that said, does anyone other than "Debbie Downer" have advise on interviewing at KCUMB?

Everyone is entitled to have an oppinion and to express it if need be; however I am sooo tired of hearing your negative A@* comments KCUMBscarCONTRT:mad:. WE GET IT. YOU DONT LIKE KCUMB.

Anyway, with that said, does anyone other than "Debbie Downer" have advise on interviewing at KCUMB?

Love it:thumbup: Thanks for saying what everyone was thinking

Just trying to kill the cancer:cool:

KCUMBscarCONTR (KsC) has continued his opiniated rant aginst KCUMB.

He raises the valid point of evaluating every school to which that one has applied. Based on my review of several school fora, there are a few people who have issues with their school and post all the negatives while claiming not to have an agenda. That leads to the conclusion no school is perfect.

KsC has previously lameneted the loss of several good professors and now implies that the loss of good teachers is due to a corrupt administration. Ok, so professors leave. Why did they leave? If they had issues with the administration, what were they? Its easy to slap a label on something and say "See?.. this is why they left. Where are the FACTS.

While you complain about lousy 3rd and 4th year sites, I haven't seen you complaining about COMLEX scores. I wonder if classroom education has any correlation to those scores????

You say you need to fight the administration for everything you rightfully deserve. What better training is there to prepare you for fighting the unyielding bureacracy in hospitals and insurance companies. They can blackball you as easily as the administration.

Be factual in your criticisms. Point out factual matters. Say whats wrong. Ask the easy questions.. they are tougher to answer.

KCUMB's website is the first thing a prospective student might visit.

1. Why is the 2007-2008 academic calendar on line after the 2008-2009 year has started?

2. Why is Homecoming the only upcoming event shown?

3. Why isn't the administration touting the Surgein General's appearance? Does that not have any appeal to prospective students... the high level visibility of th e school.

Criticism is healthy. When you do criticize, let the bells ring with a clear tone instead of a dull thud.

Last edited:
FYI, I have just started at KCUMB.... were going into our third week, first quiz on monday. :0 ) Albeit that I have limited experience with KCUMB, I have no complaints so far. Overall, I am significantly happier than I was in undergrad. The material is interesting (even in Foundations of Medicine) that I dont keep track of how much I have/ or havent studied. I treat it as a full time job and I am confident going into mondays exam. Do I know it all? absolutley not, but i do feel that I have a good grasp at the large volume of material that I will be tested on. I get a good vibe from a majority of the professors. By that I mean, they say things like " this is very important, make sure you understand this" and wham, out comes the highlighter. The questions are designed to be 'board like' and so far we have had practice quizzes available to us. Hope this helps some of you. I will continue to post as best an honest as I can, even if the quiz on monday rocks my socks off. Feel free to PM me if need be and Ill get back to you as soon as I can.:luck:

I am currently in my second year here at KCUMB and my general experience thus far is that I am receiving a very solid education. How do I know that? Well, there's definitely still much to be done and proven, such as step 1 of the boards. However, there is some evidence to support my assertion. I participated in some clinical experiences at a medical center during the summer and the feedback I received from my attending was that I applied my knowledge very well in the clinical setting, perhaps beyond my level as a medical student. He noted that this quality was very important and foreshadows my doing well during rotations and beyond.

Why am I telling you this? No, I'm certainly not here to toot my own horn. I'm mentioning this because I think the training I am receiving at KCUMB is partly responsible for this. I feel that KCUMB is doing an excellent job teaching me how to think clinically and how to use what I am learning. Is everything peachy-perfect? Nope. Do I think I'm going to be well-prepared for what is to come? YES. Need I say more?

I tell you what: I am busy enough to focus on what needs to be done and believe me there are plenty of things that demand my attention at this time. I tend not to care what everyone else outside my sphere of influence is doing. My attention, this year, is on my school work and things that impact that and my potential to succeed in current and future endeavors. In that light, I am quite satisfied that I am being provided everything I need to succeed (and more). The rest it seems is going to be up to me and how I use what I am given. I don't want to minimize the opinions or criticisms of my colleagues here; they are all valid and I do think it's important to share different points of view. The truth of a given situation tends to be more complicated and nuianced than what can be addressed by a single person's opinion. However, that being said, I do think how you approach a given situation can impact your experience of it.

I tend to pop in and out to answer questions. I'm fairly busy, as you might have guessed, but I'll strive to help out when I can, to answer questions and whatnot. Now I need to get back to neuroanatomy.

PS: Good luck on your first quiz, DiverDoc (and the KCUMB Class of 2012)!

Last edited:
Got the interview invite in the mail today! And i wasn't even gonna submit the secondary cuz I'm broke!. Guess I will now =) YAY! very excited =):D

hey anyone know anything about these LOR's....to me it seems like you need a committee letter, and additional science letter, and a physician letter. When I was looking under the FAQS it says something contradictory....anyone know if you submit the committee letter if you also have to send in an additional science letter?? thanks in advance!

hey anyone know anything about these LOR's....to me it seems like you need a committee letter, and additional science letter, and a physician letter. When I was looking under the FAQS it says something contradictory....anyone know if you submit the committee letter if you also have to send in an additional science letter?? thanks in advance!

I would send both in. I know I did, and I'm a third year now. Good luck with the interview process!

From all people I have talked to and from my own experience, KCUMB's interview was the best interview experience people had. They said it was much more laid back (they want to get to know YOU so they know if your qualities are what they want at the school). I guess the hardest part will be to be able to talk about yourself. Good luck!