KCUMB Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No. They aren't strict. Don't bother re-contacting your letter writers. It's not a mistake to apply here. =)

Just e-mail KCUMB to ask them if it's alright that the letters don't have the cover letter/evaluation. They'll probably say that its alright, and then you're covered. After your reccs get in, be sure to call to make sure that they're all in your file and that your file is complete.

Good luck.

One question.

Is KCUMB strict on LORs?

I see that they require cover letters/evaluations instead of actual letters. Could that be substituted with just a letter? I think it's a pain to re-contact all my letter writers, especially those that took a few months to get one to me. Let me know please before I make the mistake of applying here. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Once you complete the one year M.S., if you kept your GPA up and whatever, then you get into the DO program. There's about 15 people in the class of 2013 that matriculated from the M.S. program. They're a lot better prepared for the material we're leaning now than the rest of us.

Maybe someone in the biosciences can explain more..

Hey Friends!

I am younger looking at KCUMB for a future schooling and wondering about the Bioscience program. Haven't seen much info about that on this site. I am applying for the program for fall 2010 because of late MCATs and lower than your average med school student GPA. From what I come to understand it is like a Special Masters Program but it is never really called that. Anybody know anything about this program or have experience with it? Please let me know! Thanks!

Interview invite today for October 1st!
I submitted my secondary app last week in the mail but haven't gotten a complete e-mail yet either (or finished sending one of my LORs).

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview invite today for October 1st!
I submitted my secondary app last week in the mail but haven't gotten a complete e-mail yet either (or finished sending one of my LORs).

Congrats! I'm invited to interview on 10/1 as well. I haven't even sent in(or finished) the secondary yet. I figured there must be some mistake so I called the admissions office and the person I spoke with said they do give pre-secondary interview invites.

does anyone know numbers for ....number of apps...number of interview invites...number of acceptances?

Does anyone know where I can find a list of clinical rotation sites for KCUMB?

Hey guys, how long will has it been taking for AACOMAS to process and submit the primary to schools? Also, does anyone know how many apps KCUMB gets/year?

AACOMAS took two weeks to verify it. I was verified on 7/27, submitted to schools on 7/30 and received two secondaries, RVCOM on 7/29 and KCUMB on 8/3, interview invite for KCUMB on 8/28.

Does Kansas City give out interview invites by mail or emaiL?

Does Kansas City give out interview invites by mail or emaiL?

By E-mail.

Some people got them by e-mail and some by mail. And, some people get them before the secondary is sent out.

btw. KCUMB has an student host option that you should totally go for. Just call them up/email them when you sign up for your interview for one. They'll set one up for you. The day before or two days before your interview, the student host will call you. Even if you don't have a car or plan on renting one, you can still have a student host. Many/most of the students live in Century Towers, which is right across from the school. And if not, taxis here aren't expensive. 2.50/mile
(can't recall the starting price though)

To get from the airport to wherever, take
http://www.supershuttle.com/HowItWorks.aspx

They'll bring you from the airport to wherever you're staying. From the airport to the school is $25 one way.

Oh yeah. And if you don't get a student host, I would recommend the Q Hotel. It's really nice. (I haven't stayed there but my parents and my roommate did). They have a free shuttle car so you can call them up and they'll pick you up from the airport/bring you to the interview/bring you back for free.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a question I know the admissions staff could answer but I wanted to know if someone here knew first... I am currently taking Biochem, which I know is okay, but it says on KCUMB's website that I need to get a C or higher. Does anyone know if I can just take it pass fail or do I need to take it for a grade even though I may potentially get an interview and get in before that grade is earned?

I had a question I know the admissions staff could answer but I wanted to know if someone here knew first... I am currently taking Biochem, which I know is okay, but it says on KCUMB's website that I need to get a C or higher. Does anyone know if I can just take it pass fail or do I need to take it for a grade even though I may potentially get an interview and get in before that grade is earned?

You must take it for a grade. (and it has to be a C, not a C-)
This is because at some schools, a D is a pass.

I'm flying up to Kansas City tomorrow and taking a campus tour on Friday.. I'll give a report when I get through. I hear the campus is awesome.

I'm flying up to Kansas City tomorrow and taking a campus tour on Friday.. I'll give a report when I get through. I hear the campus is awesome.

it'll be bustling tomorrow because its homecoming for us. =)

Wow.

My visit totally exceeded expectations and made a huge impression on me.
The facilities were top notch and looked brand new. This is the first osteopathic school that I have visited, but it is hard to imagine that any other schools could trump their facilities.

I was lucky enough to visit on "homecoming" weekend so there were plenty of current KCUMB students and alumni to talk to about their experiences with the school. Everything was positive.

The city of Kansas City has it's beautiful and ugly places. Luckily I was staying in a hotel in "the plaza", so the scenery was awesome and so were the restaurants and stores.

I consider myself fortunate to have scheduled a tour prior to an interview, because honestly I feel like I may have a leg up on the competition. I was lucky enough to meet a lot of the admissions staff face to face and they all seemed very positive about my application and what not. Hopefully they will remember my name when going through applications and offering interviews.

I have read in previous threads about 3rd and 4th year students not being satisfied with rotations and stuff, but the students that I spoke to seemed ignorant to that (or maybe they were just being protective over their school.. I don't know).
At this point I have moved KCUMB to the top of my list and will be extremely disappointed if I don't get an interview offer.

Hopefully some of you will find this brief review useful. PM me if you have any specific questions.

I visited KCUMB last year and went to an information session around November. I only met with one member of the admissions staff, but I really loved the school and its for sure my number one choice due to all aspects of the school, but in addition my gf goes to the UMKC med school but I currently live in St. Louis.... Does anyone think it would help my chances of getting an interview if I visited again? Or somehow made it clear that KCUMB is my first choice?

I visited KCUMB last year and went to an information session around November. I only met with one member of the admissions staff, but I really loved the school and its for sure my number one choice due to all aspects of the school, but in addition my gf goes to the UMKC med school but I currently live in St. Louis.... Does anyone think it would help my chances of getting an interview if I visited again? Or somehow made it clear that KCUMB is my first choice?

Well I didn't have an answer to your question until moments ago when I received an interview invite. This invite came on the first business day since my visit on Friday. I assume that my visit had something to do with it :).

Glad you guys like the campus. We just finished up our first section of first year and I can definitely say that I made the right choice to come here. Kansas City is a great town and the school is really respected. Can't wait to start my rotations. I think KC might be my permanent home! :)

Is this school oos friendly? any views will be appreciated. Thanks :)

Is this school oos friendly? any views will be appreciated. Thanks :)

KCUMB is known for oos friendliness. I think roughly 60-70% is oos... I may be wrong though.

About 3rd and 4th year rotations - take what you hear with a grain of salt. yes, some things are true and some are not. I went to another location for 3rd year and they have it much worse. When you see what the alternatives are, you will be pleased with what KCUMB offers its students. Good luck with the apps this year!

Been pretty quite here lately any new updates from anyone about this school?

After submitting my AACOMAS primary, I realized that I don't meet the requirements KCUMB has for biology. Their website says you need 12 credits + genetics (at least 3). Since I only have 12 credits total I thought I wouldn't receive a secondary, so it surprised me when I did.

Does the admissions office check to make sure you meet the pre-reqs before they offer secondary? Or will I get cut when I send it back and they figure out I'm not qualified? I'm just wondering if it means they're OK with my credits since they sent the secondary anyway...

After submitting my AACOMAS primary, I realized that I don't meet the requirements KCUMB has for biology. Their website says you need 12 credits + genetics (at least 3). Since I only have 12 credits total I thought I wouldn't receive a secondary, so it surprised me when I did.

Does the admissions office check to make sure you meet the pre-reqs before they offer secondary? Or will I get cut when I send it back and they figure out I'm not qualified? I'm just wondering if it means they're OK with my credits since they sent the secondary anyway...

if your missing a pre-req you just have to get it taken care of before you start. I'm missing biochem and I was offered an interview on 10-29

If your interview goes well and they like you, you will be granted "conditional acceptance" and will be granted full acceptance when you provide proof of completing your biology credits.

if your missing a pre-req you just have to get it taken care of before you start. I'm missing biochem and I was offered an interview on 10-29

If your interview goes well and they like you, you will be granted "conditional acceptance" and will be granted full acceptance when you provide proof of completing your biology credits.

Thanks for the info. I graduated a couple years ago and work full time, so completing those credits isn't an easy option for me. At least I'll save some time and money by skipping this secondary.

Good luck to everyone else applying here!

I am interviewing here in 2 days. First DO interview, any last minute tips?

I submitted my AACOMAS a couple of weeks ago so it's not verified yet. Did KCUMB send you all the supplemental application before or after you got verified by AACOMAS?

I think you need to be verified before schools can download your data.

Same here, I'm planning on signing up for biochem at the local cc if I get an acceptance to KCUMB.

Btw, I read on other threads that the acceptance:interview ratio is pretty high at KCUMB... does anyone know if that's still true? I got an interview invite before my secondary was complete, and I'm both flattered and super stoked. I love KCUMB, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high (prob too late for that, though).

Btw, I read on other threads that the acceptance:interview ratio is pretty high at KCUMB... does anyone know if that's still true?

I think it is still true. I interviewed yesterday and the med students showing us around the school mentioned this and the admissions director emphasized how heavily they screen applicants prior to inviting people for interviews. They even fit us for white coats prior to interviewing and the packet we received contained apartment listings for the area.

BTW, the interview was extremely relaxed and conversational. While waiting to interview, the med students would give you background on the people interviewing you.

::hungover:eleted stuff;:

Last edited:
Hey all, I am getting started kind of late on applying to DO schools (due to not being offered a spot after my EDP interview at KU Med, grr...) I am originally from Wichita and go to school at KU and would like go to med school in KC. Can those of you more familiar with the DO process give me some insight as to how competitive an individual such as myself would be (3.95 cGPA 4.0 sGPA 31R) and if it is already too late. Thanks in advance and good luck to those of you about to interview.

They actually e-mailed me asking if I wanted to subject myself to the horrors of biochemistry. Well, not like that exactly. So I do think that they check and you'll for sure have to have the credits satisfied before you matriculate.

I just got an interview and I haven't even completed my secondary. I'm sure this means they are interested in me as an applicant. What have people heard of individuals who get interviews before secondaries from KCUMB, does that mean they see me as a genuine prospect?

I just got an interview and I haven't even completed my secondary. I'm sure this means they are interested in me as an applicant. What have people heard of individuals who get interviews before secondaries from KCUMB, does that mean they see me as a genuine prospect?

I've not heard of anything like that happening at KCUMB. I'd say you have a more than good chance since they have a very high percentage rate of acceptances of their interviewees that submit secondaries anyway :)

I'll be interviewing this Monday. Anyone else going to be there?

They do offer pre-secondary invites to people who have stats they like. I received one from them as well.

Any acceptances yet? If you've got one, did it come in the mail or was it by phone?

Does anyone know where I can get the most recent board scores on COMLEX Step 1 for KCUMB, and is this with their newest curriculum?

Does anyone have a list of core sites for KCUMB?

Regarding a previous post, acceptances are sent out via snail mail, but you can call admissions to find out early.