KCUMB Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey!

So i sent my primary to a bunch of DO schools but at this point i want to decide ~4 schools to send my secondary too. I live in Dallas, TX and am deciding on schools based on a: quality/reputation of school, b: location of school (is it easily accessible, near a major airport), c: tuition, d: out of state friendly. So far i have received secondaries from the schools listed below. anyone have any recommendations on which ones i should choose to send secondaries to??

LECOM Bradenton

De Moines University

CCOM (Chicago)

PCOM (Philadelphia)

MSUCOM (Michigan)

Arizona Midwestern

UMNDJ

NYCOM

NOVA southeastern

ATSU-SOMA (Arizona)

ATSU-KCOM (Kirksville)

KCUMB

OSU

Thanks sooo much! any advice would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

who's gonna be there interviewing on 10/29? Hopefully I can see some friendly faces since i'm flying all the way from south carolina

hey!

So i sent my primary to a bunch of DO schools but at this point i want to decide ~4 schools to send my secondary too. I live in Dallas, TX and am deciding on schools based on a: quality/reputation of school, b: location of school (is it easily accessible, near a major airport), c: tuition, d: out of state friendly. So far i have received secondaries from the schools listed below. anyone have any recommendations on which ones i should choose to send secondaries to??

LECOM Bradenton

De Moines University

CCOM (Chicago)

PCOM (Philadelphia)

MSUCOM (Michigan)

Arizona Midwestern

UMNDJ

NYCOM

NOVA southeastern

ATSU-SOMA (Arizona)

ATSU-KCOM (Kirksville)

KCUMB

OSU

Thanks sooo much! any advice would be much appreciated!

if i were you i would send them all in and get picky once you have an acceptance. best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone get a decision back who interviewed on 10/12?

anyone get anything who interviewed on oct 1?

Anyone get a decision back who interviewed on 10/12?

Nope...I was told we would hear back by oct 30th. I am assuming we just get something in the mail. I do not believe they give phone calls regarding acceptance. Did you like the school/interview?

damn i didnt' even want to post in this thread... damn SDN lol sorry

Annnnnnddddd accepted to KCUMB! I was in the 10/12 interviews and the adcoms said they sent out the acceptance packets yesterday!

Did you call to get your status or did you receive the letter in the mail?

Did you call to get your status or did you receive the letter in the mail?

What do you mean by status? I don't remember if they emailed me when I was complete or not. I was emailed my interview invite and the acceptance letters are sent in the mail (not sure about rejection or wait list).

Members don't see this ad :)
I called them on Friday afternoon and they told me I was accepted and that an acceptance packet was mailed out the day before

amichalo said:
I called them on Friday afternoon and they told me I was accepted and that an acceptance packet was mailed out the day before

Congrats. I called today and they told me they will not meet until this coming Thursday to review the 10/12 interviews. She may have her dates crossed. Do you remember who you talked to when you called?

who's gonna be there interviewing on 10/29? Hopefully I can see some friendly faces since i'm flying all the way from south carolina

I will be interviewing as well on 10/29! I am coming all the way from Evansville, Indiana. Congrats to all of those who have already been accepted! I was wondering if anyone who has already interviewed would be able to give me an idea of what types of questions to prepare for, or any other tips??

I was wondering if anyone who has already interviewed would be able to give me an idea of what types of questions to prepare for said:
I was hoping some more people that were interviewed could fill out the interview feedback for KCUMB. Only one person has filled it out for this cycle so far... I think it would be really awesome if someone could fill it out.

Thanks!

I will be interviewing as well on 10/29! I am coming all the way from Evansville, Indiana. Congrats to all of those who have already been accepted! I was wondering if anyone who has already interviewed would be able to give me an idea of what types of questions to prepare for, or any other tips??

This was my first interview and out of the interviews I've had thus far, I felt this was my worst performance... and I was still accepted. I think for the KCUMB interview, as long as you don't come across as a complete nutjob, or are painfully shy and incoherent in your responses, you will get accepted.

I was interviewed by 2 people, a FP doctor and a counselor and these were my questions:

1. Why medicine?
2. List 3 words that describe you and why?
3. Question about my research and if I intend to pursue research in the future...
4. What is your greatest weakness?
5. Why KCUMB?
6. Do you have any questions for us?

The interviews are 30 minutes long, but I think mine lasted only about 15-20 minutes.

This was my first interview and out of the interviews I've had thus far, I felt this was my worst performance... and I was still accepted. I think for the KCUMB interview, as long as you don't come across as a complete nutjob, or are painfully shy and incoherent in your responses, you will get accepted.

I was interviewed by 2 people, a FP doctor and a counselor and these were my questions:

1. Why medicine?
2. List 3 words that describe you and why?
3. Question about my research and if I intend to pursue research in the future...
4. What is your greatest weakness?
5. Why KCUMB?
6. Do you have any questions for us?

The interviews are 30 minutes long, but I think mine lasted only about 15-20 minutes.

Thanks for the pointers and questions! This is my first interview next week and I am just super nervous!! That is good to hear that the acceptance rate of those interviewed is pretty high! Congrats on your acceptance! Wish me luck!

Thanks for the pointers and questions! This is my first interview next week and I am just super nervous!! That is good to hear that the acceptance rate of those interviewed is pretty high! Congrats on your acceptance! Wish me luck!

No need to be nervous. Good luck!

Will KCUMB accept evaluation letters from interfolio?

Has anyone successfully called the admissions office to get post-interview status before the mailing arrived?

Has anyone successfully called the admissions office to get post-interview status before the mailing arrived?

I tried and all they would tell me is when I would be notified via snail mail. I am not sure they will give notifications over the phone.

the adcom just met this morning. i'd try calling in the afternoon or tomorrow. they may tell you, but they may have a policy to not tell.

I interviewed on Monday the 26th and called today and was told I have been accepted.... First one too... couldn't be more pumped/relieved

KCUMB sent me a supplemental app on 8/26, I totally didn't check my spam and just found out today that I got the email. I'm gonna send my app. ASAP on Monday, but was wondering if it's gonna look bad. Also, I have a somewhat low statistic:
sGPA: 3.22, cGPA: 3.3 MCAT: 23Q will I have a chance to interview and get accepted to KCUMB? has anyone gotten accepted with this low stats? Thank you very much for your help.

KCUMB sent me a supplemental app on 8/26, I totally didn't check my spam and just found out today that I got the email. I'm gonna send my app. ASAP on Monday, but was wondering if it's gonna look bad. Also, I have a somewhat low statistic:
sGPA: 3.22, cGPA: 3.3 MCAT: 23Q will I have a chance to interview and get accepted to KCUMB? has anyone gotten accepted with this low stats? Thank you very much for your help.

I just interview on 10/29 with a 3.6ish gpa and 23 mcat

I just interview on 10/29 with a 3.6ish gpa and 23 mcat
Thank you so much. How was the interview? was is closed file or open file? were you asked about ur score? Good luck with the application process and I hope you get in. :)

Thank you so much. How was the interview? was is closed file or open file? were you asked about ur score? Good luck with the application process and I hope you get in. :)

overall, i really enjoyed the interview at kcumb. campus is beautifal and everyone seemed to really like it there. interview is open so they have a general idea already who you are. Yes, 99% of the interview was about the mcat score. I'm not sure how I did but we'll know shortly. You are interviewed by 2 people. It was kind of like good cop and bad cop for me. The main questions were about my previous research, why I applied to kcumb, and if i had any questions for them. The rest of the interview was them talking about how my mcat sucked. We'll see.......

my interview was really chill. no ethical questions (i hear these are a biggie at kcumb). 50% of my interview was about my application and pertinent details, and the other 50% was why DO, why Kcumb.

my interview was really chill. no ethical questions (i hear these are a biggie at kcumb). 50% of my interview was about my application and pertinent details, and the other 50% was why DO, why Kcumb.

yea i had no ethical questions either. Our student guide did say that they usually did ask alot of ethical questions though.

I just got accepted to KCUMB and I'm so excited! I was wondering if anyone was planning on living in Century Towers or had any advice on where to live in Kansas City.

Oh, and I interviewed at KCUMB on Oct. 21. I didn't get any ethical questions, but here are the ones I remember:
1. Why do you want to be a doctor/DO
2. Why KCUMB
3. Do you think you can teach a person good bedside manner?
4. What has been the biggest obstacle so far in your journey to become a physician?

I also got asked stuff off my primary and secondary apps. Overall, it wasn't a high stress interview. I was still extremely nervous and felt like I didn't do very well. I guess it was ok, since I got accepted :)

Probably a little late to register on sdn since I already interviewed last friday but just wanted to see how everyone is doing in their app process. Has anybody else called this week to get an answer?

I have held off on submitting my secondary to KCUMB only because they are not accepting my fee waiver (I technically wasn't granted an AACOMAS waiver, but I qualified and some schools grant a secondary for that situation) and money is tight these days... is it too late to submit it if I don't feel like I am competitive based on their stats? Most schools seem to favor higher GPA/lower MCATs and I am definitely the opposite...any thoughts?

I know, know, it never hurts to try- but I applied last year though and heard nothing, so I am trying to decide if being complete 3 months earlier would make my $50 check worthwhile...

Anyone have an idea on what proportion of the class has been filled already?? My AACOMAS hasnt been verified yet, but i m greatly looking forward 2 apply to this school! Thanks in advance.

I have held off on submitting my secondary to KCUMB only because they are not accepting my fee waiver (I technically wasn't granted an AACOMAS waiver, but I qualified and some schools grant a secondary for that situation) and money is tight these days... is it too late to submit it if I don't feel like I am competitive based on their stats? Most schools seem to favor higher GPA/lower MCATs and I am definitely the opposite...any thoughts?

I know, know, it never hurts to try- but I applied last year though and heard nothing, so I am trying to decide if being complete 3 months earlier would make my $50 check worthwhile...

I had a low undegrad GPA but a high grad GPA and a high MCAT and I was accepted last week....I dont know if it was because I corrected the low GPA thing in grad school or not but I think that many schools look at a high MCAT as proof that you're capable and that the trend in DO schools tends to be high GPA low MCAT, but not because they're necessarily prioritizing them that way. As for the money...I hear you but the school budget is 64k/year so if the $50 is tripping you up it might not be worth it...the price of this school is one of my concerns. However, I think their curriculum is awesome and might be entirely worth the cost, so if I were you I would look closely at the curriculum and see if an integrated approach is what you're looking for. If it is then I would definitely apply because I think its pretty unique. Hope that helps.

Oh and also I was late last year and heard nothing either so I think that being complete earlier absolutely makes you more competitive.

I had a low undegrad GPA but a high grad GPA and a high MCAT and I was accepted last week....I dont know if it was because I corrected the low GPA thing in grad school or not but I think that many schools look at a high MCAT as proof that you're capable and that the trend in DO schools tends to be high GPA low MCAT, but not because they're necessarily prioritizing them that way. As for the money...I hear you but the school budget is 64k/year so if the $50 is tripping you up it might not be worth it...the price of this school is one of my concerns. However, I think their curriculum is awesome and might be entirely worth the cost, so if I were you I would look closely at the curriculum and see if an integrated approach is what you're looking for. If it is then I would definitely apply because I think its pretty unique. Hope that helps.

Oh and also I was late last year and heard nothing either so I think that being complete earlier absolutely makes you more competitive.

Well the expensive tuition is one thing when I have loan money to live on- right now I am fresh out of loan money and trying not to work much so that I CAN do great in my grad work (two tests this week :xf:). So it's a vicious cycle. I just wish they had taken the waiver like everyone else had. I'll probably try to send it in this week. Thanks for the encouragement...maybe if they know I am doing grad work they will take more of a look at my application there, especially with it being three months earlier. Congratulations on the acceptance when reapplying! It takes some serious commitment to do this all again! :)

What do you think my chances are guys?

s3.71
ns3.73
c3.71

26 < MCAT < 30

Check out my mdapps link for more info. I greatly appreciate your responses and advice.

Great shot of getting in with those score. Mine were all below yours and I got in about two weeks ago... go for it, KC is sweet good luck

I just got my acceptance letter today!! :D I interviewed on October 29. Has anyone else from this interview date heard any good news yet?!

How long did it take people to receive an interview invitation after your secondary was sent in? I sent mine in several weeks ago and no word....