KCUMB Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got one too!!! Interview the same day! :) Wahoo!!

Me too guys! What are your thoughts? I really wish we had been able to see the anatomy/sim lab. I'm trying to decide where to go. Did anyone else feel the opening presentation was just plain awkward? Idk how else to describe it. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

How long did it take people to receive an interview invitation after your secondary was sent in? I sent mine in several weeks ago and no word....

klj, I was complete around 8/12, invited for interview 9/17, interviewed 10/29, accepted 11/5. Good luck! :thumbup:

interview on 12/9 anyone else doing that as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I have a two quick questions: If you have formal LORs do you still need to get an evaluation filled out? Also, my committee letter is form 3 sci and 1 non-sci prof, do I need another sci prof. LOR? I greatly appreciate any advice/help, thank you.

^ disregard, I treat applications like a manual to a gadget - I don't really read them (guess I should)

Last edited:
Is anyone here interviewing next Thursday the 19th?

Does anyone know what KCUMB's policy is on applications? When I called admissions they said that they were not offering me an interview at this time, but that I wasn't rejected. I asked if I was on a wait list and they said No they just aren't offering an interview. Did this happen to anyone else? If so what was the result? I feel like my application is in some alternate dimension now..

Does anyone know what KCUMB's policy is on applications? When I called admissions they said that they were not offering me an interview at this time, but that I wasn't rejected. I asked if I was on a wait list and they said No they just aren't offering an interview. Did this happen to anyone else? If so what was the result? I feel like my application is in some alternate dimension now..

Yea that basically is the "on hold" list. Very very few people get off that list at most schools to get an interview. Basically its like you are not bad enough to reject, but unless the rest of the applicants are worse than you or around your stats they will not be likely to give an interview, or unless you send it grade updates or awesome new experiences that would take you off that list.

New interview on November 23rd. I moved it. Anyone doing the interview then?

can't keep the interviews straight. moved it again...oh well good luck everyone!!!!!

Yea that basically is the "on hold" list. Very very few people get off that list at most schools to get an interview. Basically its like you are not bad enough to reject, but unless the rest of the applicants are worse than you or around your stats they will not be likely to give an interview, or unless you send it grade updates or awesome new experiences that would take you off that list.

Or perhaps they're waiting for semester grades/MCAT scores? A friend of mine was on-hold last year (at KCUMB) and is my classmate this year. You never know.

I submitted my application to AACOMAS in mid-October and it's still in processing. My DO school of choice is KCUMB and I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what was on their secondary? Are there any essays and, if so, would someone mind posting the prompts? Thanks!

I submitted my application to AACOMAS in mid-October and it's still in processing. My DO school of choice is KCUMB and I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what was on their secondary? Are there any essays and, if so, would someone mind posting the prompts? Thanks!
Their secondary is pretty standard, mostly a bunch of info that you already put on your AACOMAS. They do ask for a short essay about why you want to go to KCUMB and why you're a good fit.

On a good note, I was invited for an interview before I even finished my secondary, so my essay was pretty horrible and cliche, but it was never brought up in the interview.

Or perhaps they're waiting for semester grades/MCAT scores? A friend of mine was on-hold last year (at KCUMB) and is my classmate this year. You never know.

Already have my MCAT scores and LOR's in and I graduated last year so all my grades are there. Did they just all of a sudden email your friend one day and say "we decided to offer you an interview now"?

Members don't see this ad :)
posted my interview feedback from yesterday... very very impressed with school and everything about it. They said I would find out by no later than Dec. 2 but I could call Tuesday to ask if they had reviewed my application yet.

Glad you enjoyed your interview. As far as being put 'on hold' so to speak, I would encourage you to send in multiple updates on any relevant clinical experience/research you are undertaking during this time. Although this sounds simplistic, most applicants do not consider doing this and I believe it can only impact your chances in a positive way. Best of luck to everyone applying/interviewing/waiting for news. I absolutely love KCUMB.

I just called Brooke and she told me the good news! Congrats to everyone else accepted. Now it is time to look into finaid. Feel free to pm me with questions about the interview or school.

I was just marked complete today. For those of you who have interviewed, how long did it take to get the interview invite?
Thanks

definitely not coming here...phew. :eek:

Sorry you had a bad experience. Best of luck wherever you decide to attend. In the future, it would benefit prospective students if you were slightly more constructive with your response (ie Why do you feel this way? Where could the school improve? What were you looking for in a school that KCUMB did not have? etc).

I got accepted here and am about to send in my deposit. I was just wondering if there is any place that students go to play pick up basketball, indoors during the winter. Also I wanted to know more about the immediate area. Is it safe to walk around there at night, should I live elsewhere, hows the rent at places, is the bus system good from certain places or do I have to live in Century towers if I don't bring a car?????

I got accepted here and am about to send in my deposit. I was just wondering if there is any place that students go to play pick up basketball, indoors during the winter. Also I wanted to know more about the immediate area. Is it safe to walk around there at night, should I live elsewhere, hows the rent at places, is the bus system good from certain places or do I have to live in Century towers if I don't bring a car?????

I am from KC and I wouldn't recommend living right there. I am sure Century Towers would be fine, since it is so close to the school and plenty of people live there. But really, it depends on what you want... there are lots of new lofts downtown (Power and Light area) and River Market has some cute places. Both of those areas are within 5-10 minutes of KCUMB. If you want more of a suburban feel, north of the river has a lot of nice apartments and houses. There is plenty of shopping up there and it feels a lot safer. It would be a 10-15 minute drive.

The bus system seems fine, but I am not sure about the prices or pick-up locations. Here is the website: http://www.kcata.org/. I would say if you don't want to bring a car, definitely live in Century Towers. You will have to hitch a ride with friends or take the bus to get groceries and other items. Nothing is really in walking distance and I wouldn't want to walk around there.

Congrats! But why did you say "definitely not coming here"?

Im not sure but something is up with that person, they posted earlier that their interview was on 12/9 but I guess they got accepted before the interview... if you read other post by this person it is usually a provocative statement to stir something up with no response when people ask for explanations, so I would take the "whew not going here" statement with a grain of salt... KCUMB is an excellent school....

Already have my MCAT scores and LOR's in and I graduated last year so all my grades are there. Did they just all of a sudden email your friend one day and say "we decided to offer you an interview now"?

I guess so. In my case, I took the January MCAT so I didn't hear from them until my scores came in, but my classmate who was on-hold said her file was complete.

Good luck! I hope you get the interview email soon!

I got an interview without completing a secondary or sending in my registration fee or anything like that. Did this happen to anyone else? What does it mean?

well...I didn't like the surrounding neighborhood...call me weird. . . :cool:

Had my interview on 12/3. Really great experience. Campus is really nice and pretty much everything about the school is impressive.

How long did it take for you guys to hear decisions after your interview?

Mhgator the same thing happened to me. I think it just means that they were impressed with what they saw on your primary app. You should still send in everything (LOR's, Secondary, and Fee) before your interview.

I interviewed on a Thursday and found out the next Tuesday... but they meet every other week so I just happened to have the interview at the end of the 2nd week, but otherwise no more than 2 weeks. Just a warning, I received the acceptance letter in a regular envelope. I already knew I was accepted though because I had called but if I didn't already know I would have assumed it was a rejection letter.

I interviewed on a thursday and got my letter on a monday, was also a little worried when I saw the regular envelope.

For those of u who have already interviewed, i just have a quick question (srry if it has already been asked b4): I have an interview @KCUMB coming up on Jan 7 & was trying to book my flight tickets. In the invite email, they have advised to schedule departures after 6:30pm frm KC. But the only return flights that reasonly fit within my budget are scheduled for departure at 5:50 pm from KC. I plan to stay at the Q hotel and to make use of the shuttle service to & from the airport. Do u guys think that the 5:50 pm flight would fit in within the scheme of the interview schedule?? Would I be able to make it in time to the airport? I have a family member accompanying me, that's why I m a lil concerned abt the ticket rates (for2) I reallyy need to book my tickets soon b4 they hike up in prices!!
PS i have never been 2 Missouri b4 or for that matter any of the states outside of the one i curently live in. lol
Will truly appreciate any feedback that u guys have to offer!!!:)

For those of u who have already interviewed, i just have a quick question (srry if it has already been asked b4): I have an interview @KCUMB coming up on Jan 7 & was trying to book my flight tickets. In the invite email, they have advised to schedule departures after 6:30pm frm KC. But the only return flights that reasonly fit within my budget are scheduled for departure at 5:50 pm from KC. I plan to stay at the Q hotel and to make use of the shuttle service to & from the airport. Do u guys think that the 5:50 pm flight would fit in within the scheme of the interview schedule?? Would I be able to make it in time to the airport? I have a family member accompanying me, that's why I m a lil concerned abt the ticket rates (for2) I reallyy need to book my tickets soon b4 they hike up in prices!!
PS i have never been 2 Missouri b4 or for that matter any of the states outside of the one i curently live in. lol
Will truly appreciate any feedback that u guys have to offer!!!:)

I remember having lunch around 11:30 then touring century towers and then having interviews around 1 and I stuck around and talked to the admissions people and was still out of there around 3. Most people were out of there by 2:30 at the latest as I recall

I remember having lunch around 11:30 then touring century towers and then having interviews around 1 and I stuck around and talked to the admissions people and was still out of there around 3. Most people were out of there by 2:30 at the latest as I recall
Thanks so much for the response!! I guess I am safe then with the 5:50 evening flight :)

just hope it doesnt snow!
As long as it doesnt cause any flight delays or such, I m actually quite excited to see the snow :D Have never really seen it in my life other than on tv lol

so this is totally random, but i'm a floridian so i have no clue...

what do you wear to an interview when its that freezing outside? and is it possible to walk in the snow with heels?

Hey all. Sorry if this has been addressed before, but approximately how long after my AACOMAS is verified will I receive word on a secondary? Also, will KCUMB send out secondaries by email or snail mail?

Thanks in advance!

Hey all. Sorry if this has been addressed before, but approximately how long after my AACOMAS is verified will I receive word on a secondary? Also, will KCUMB send out secondaries by email or snail mail?

Thanks in advance!

I received a secondary from KCUMB the day my application was released from AACOMAS. They'll email you a link to download the PDF, you fill it out, print it and mail it back snail mail.

Also, they told me right now they're looking at a week turnaround from being complete to letting you know if you're being interviewed or not. I don't know how accurate that is, but if it is, I still have a couple more days to find out.

Thanks in advance!

I received mine via email, but actually got the invite before the secondary.

so this is totally random, but i'm a floridian so i have no clue...

what do you wear to an interview when its that freezing outside? and is it possible to walk in the snow with heels?

If it's cold...a nice suit, preferably w/ slacks, or slacks with a warm sweater. You want to dress "your best" Depending on how cold it gets, you would want to have an overcoat of some type to take campus tour since you do go outside. If it's windy, appropriate headgear would be nice. Carry a comb to fix your hair later.

As for heels... you can walk in snow. I hope you have pitons on your heels, because if you don't when you hit a slick spot, that nice pair of slacks will be in contact with the ground! Why not pack a pair of heels in a bag for your interview, and wear flats the rest of the day.. much more comfortable and sensible! Dress flats will do just fine for the interview. How many women Doc's have you seen wearing heels while working????

good luck on your interview.

Thanks for the quick replies JR87 and RG73! I received my first secondary today from MWU-CCOM, but my school of choice is KCUMB. I'm hoping I get their secondary ASAP. I wasn't AACOMAS-verified until 12/4 (kind of late in the game, I know).

Also, does anyone know how conservative KCUMB's rolling admissions is? About how much of the Fall 2010 class has been accepted at this point?

I'm just going to repeat what has been said on the KCUMB threads in the past. Please, please, please look at the core rotation sites and be aware that you may end up at one of the podunk sites. While most (~85%) got first choice or at least one of their top 3 choices, 17 went unmatched and had to choose from the left overs. Some of my classmates are having to leave spouses/families behind because there is nothing for them in the small sites. If you plan on staying in KC, know that there are NOT enough spots for everyone. And know that nothing guarantees you a spot unless you are in the MBA program or you have some kind of significant medical reason to stay. No consideration given for other personal circumstances. I ignored this very warning and choose KCUMB based only what they offered the first 2 years, now I'm beginning to regret my decision. I don't mean to deter, I just want you to be aware there is a small chance you could end up at a <100 bed hospital in the middle of rural Missouri/Ohio. If you have other acceptances, make sure you compare where you end up 3/4th year.

I'm just going to repeat what has been said on the KCUMB threads in the past. Please, please, please look at the core rotation sites and be aware that you may end up at one of the podunk sites. While most (~85%) got first choice or at least one of their top 3 choices, 17 went unmatched and had to choose from the left overs. Some of my classmates are having to leave spouses/families behind because there is nothing for them in the small sites. If you plan on staying in KC, know that there are NOT enough spots for everyone. And know that nothing guarantees you a spot unless you are in the MBA program or you have some kind of significant medical reason to stay. No consideration given for other personal circumstances. I ignored this very warning and choose KCUMB based only what they offered the first 2 years, now I'm beginning to regret my decision. I don't mean to deter, I just want you to be aware there is a small chance you could end up at a <100 bed hospital in the middle of rural Missouri/Ohio. If you have other acceptances, make sure you compare where you end up 3/4th year.

I know this is one of the problems people have to deal with in almost every DO school. My question is where are you going to be for your core sites? Also, what were your top three choices because from people I spoke with at five other DO schools, they tell of similar stories. Does the school have a way of knowing which sites are the most popular etc? Seeing that this is a general problem with most osteopathic medical schools, what do you suggest is the best way to rank the sites so that I am guaranteed at least one of them?

This is something I am really worried about... While rotation sites seem to be a problem at other DO schools as well, looking back over other KCUMB threads, it seems to be a bigger problem here. Why is this? I am sure the administration is aware of some student dissatisfaction during 3rd and 4th years.

Some students have very strongly urged us to reconsider KCUMB because of this problem, yet it is very hard to really analyze it as a potential student. However, I growing concerned.

If any other current or past students want to give some insight, please post here or PM me. Thanks so much :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick replies JR87 and RG73! I received my first secondary today from MWU-CCOM, but my school of choice is KCUMB. I'm hoping I get their secondary ASAP. I wasn't AACOMAS-verified until 12/4 (kind of late in the game, I know).

My AACOMAS application was sent on 11/25/09 and my secondary application was emailed to me on 12/2/09.

Also, does anyone know how conservative KCUMB's rolling admissions is? About how much of the Fall 2010 class has been accepted at this point?
I would like to second this question... anybody have any ideas?

-RT2MD (or RT2DO - I'll be happy with either one!):D