-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
KCUMB Discussion Thread 2009-2010
Started by droogdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Thanks scooper32! I expected the last two questions but most likely need to prep for the ethics questions. I would expect them to ask for one but not three. A little nervous and excited altogether. 😀
Good Luck! Remember to blow your own horn loud! No one else will!👍
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just declined my acceptance to KCUMB. Hope my spot goes to someone who really wants it!
Thank you for letting us know. Hope where ever you end up is great...🙂
Sent in my deposit today, and it feels darn good too!! 😀
Sent in my deposit today, and it feels darn good too!! 😀
Congrats!
Do you know if there was a deposit due today for everyone?
I called the admissions office today and they informed me I was accepted and my letter is going out tomorrow.
Congrats!!!
How did you fing out? Did they meet yesterday like you were told?
Thank you! I'm leaning towards KCUMB, but I have until Mach 29th to mail in my deposit.
I found out via snail mail, I interviewed 3/4, so they must have met earlier in the week or end of last week.
I'm in! Just found out via phone..."Now it is time for a little K.C. and the sunshine band!" Just kidding... interview 3/10.
That was pretty quick. I have my interview tomorrow and I have been here since Sunday (tickets were cheaper). Checked out the city and crossed the border between Kansas and Missouri several times. Lol. For all of those who have sent in deposits: which states are you guys from and how did you like the school and the area around it?
Accepted today too!! YAY!
I'm from NJ. I really wish we could see more of the OMM and clinical facilities(they were closed). Even without seeing those, I loved the school. People were great, happy, funny, and overall fun to be around. Faculty were very dedicated and supportive.
KCUMB totally debunked any negative preconceptions I had about the Midwest(it was my first time there)
I'm from NJ. I really wish we could see more of the OMM and clinical facilities(they were closed). Even without seeing those, I loved the school. People were great, happy, funny, and overall fun to be around. Faculty were very dedicated and supportive.
KCUMB totally debunked any negative preconceptions I had about the Midwest(it was my first time there)
That was pretty quick. I have my interview tomorrow and I have been here since Sunday (tickets were cheaper). Checked out the city and crossed the border between Kansas and Missouri several times. Lol. For all of those who have sent in deposits: which states are you guys from and how did you like the school and the area around it?
Good luck! I think the school looks great and KC is a fine city. I like the genesis teaching cocept of each system.🙂
That was pretty quick. I have my interview tomorrow and I have been here since Sunday (tickets were cheaper). Checked out the city and crossed the border between Kansas and Missouri several times. Lol. For all of those who have sent in deposits: which states are you guys from and how did you like the school and the area around it?
I'm from KC originally and I honestly really like the city, I went to Columbia for undergrad (been here since 2003) which is just a farmtown with 30,000 college students. I can't wait to move back to a major city...there's always something to do and something new to see. The traffic is actually great for a city of this size. There's also plenty of places to live if downtown life isn't your thing and commuting is very possible.
I have an interview coming up on 4/12 and was wondering if the interview is a typical medical school interview. By typical I guess I mean similar to the allopathic schools' style of questions. Are the interviews one on one or panel style at KCUMB?
My interview was with 2 faculty members for about 20-25 minutes. It was very conversational. Typical questions like why DO, why KCUMB, and then just questions specific to my life and application. You really have nothing to worry about as far as stress level goes. Just enjoy the experience and sell yourself. Good luck!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have an interview coming up on 4/12 and was wondering if the interview is a typical medical school interview. By typical I guess I mean similar to the allopathic schools' style of questions. Are the interviews one on one or panel style at KCUMB?
This link has feed back from many people who interviewed at KCUMB. Good luck! Hope to see you in class in Aug!
http://www.studentdoctor.net/schools/school/kcumb
oh! the wbsite is a little trick click on view survey results as seen below:
Interview Feedback
Interview Feedback
Thanks a bunch.My interview was with 2 faculty members for about 20-25 minutes. It was very conversational. Typical questions like why DO, why KCUMB, and then just questions specific to my life and application. You really have nothing to worry about as far as stress level goes. Just enjoy the experience and sell yourself. Good luck!
How bad did everyone else want to play a game of pool while waiting for their interview?
Pool.....Pool....Oh could you you think of doing such a thing at such a imporant moment.
Just kidding!!! 9 ball would have been fun!
I just withdrew my acceptance a couple days ago. Good luck to everyone!!
How bad did everyone else want to play a game of pool while waiting for their interview?
Haha i played ping pong instead
Hey you guys, I sent my deposit earlier in the week, but they have not withdrawn it from my account. Is it normal to take a while between sending the payment, and actually having them withdraw it??
Edit: Deposit was made today...spoke to soon lol
Edit: Deposit was made today...spoke to soon lol
Last edited:
Hey everyone,
I am interviewing April 20th and was just wondering if anyone else is too. Also, has anyone stayed at the holiday inn express or the quarterage (the hotels they recommend)??
I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express. If you are just looking for a place to sleep overnight, shower, and have transportation to the school, it'll be fine. If you were like me and came in a few days earlier, you will probably need to head out and find some extra supplies. Remember to bring a comb and buy some water if you need some because they won't have any. 😉 Quarterage sounded nice but I had the membership points thingie for Holiday Inn.
Hey everyone,
I am interviewing April 20th and was just wondering if anyone else is too. Also, has anyone stayed at the holiday inn express or the quarterage (the hotels they recommend)??
The 'Q' as it is now referred to is very nice. Great complimentary breakfast and within walking distance to good restaurants. No more than 15 minutes from the university and they have a shuttle if you need it. Holiday Inn could have all the same amenities, I'm not sure, but I definitely enjoyed the 'Q'.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did anyone from 03-16-2010 hear anything yet? Since scooper32 heard within less than a week, it's making me kind of nervous. *scratches head*![]()
Call....

Did anyone from 03-16-2010 hear anything yet? Since scooper32 heard within less than a week, it's making me kind of nervous. *scratches head*![]()
Unless they've changed from the beginning of the application cycle, the Adcom only meets every other friday, so don't worry about not hearing back yet. If you just can't wait any longer, just call admissions and ask, that's what I did. I was actually driving home from another interview when I called and the lasy in admissions looked up my name and said, "Oh I'm sorry." So instinctively I take this to mean I didn't get in and I say, "son of a *****." And she goes, "no my computer just froze let me check again." Haha she ended up giving me the good news a few seconds later and when I looked at the speedometer I was going about 95 and had to take a few deep breaths to control me excitement. So, there's your fun acceptance story for the day and I hope your phone call goes just as well. Good luck!
It really won't matter too much since you'll be talking to the admissions department secretary. Chances are they won't go to the adcom and tell them who has been calling. Just ask if the admissions committee has met to discuss the 3/16 interview yet. If they have, then they'll ask your name, and if they haven't discussed it yet, they won't even know who is asking. Just call, I dare you!LOL! 🙂 😛 😀 I guess I could call. Would it be weird though since they told us that we should hear no later than April 9th? Or calling might show our enthusiasm about the school?![]()

Unless they've changed from the beginning of the application cycle, the Adcom only meets every other friday, so don't worry about not hearing back yet. If you just can't wait any longer, just call admissions and ask, that's what I did. I was actually driving home from another interview when I called and the lasy in admissions looked up my name and said, "Oh I'm sorry." So instinctively I take this to mean I didn't get in and I say, "son of a *****." And she goes, "no my computer just froze let me check again." Haha she ended up giving me the good news a few seconds later and when I looked at the speedometer I was going about 95 and had to take a few deep breaths to control me excitement. So, there's your fun acceptance story for the day and I hope your phone call goes just as well. Good luck!
That is funny...
I called and asked for my statis. The lady said, "Hold on... says, here on my computer we are still waiting on your fee."I said, "What! I already paid the application fee."
In a very monotoned voice she said "Oh, well that means your accepted, sorry about that."
lol.... Lesson: Call and ask, however make sure you ask the correct question.



If price is a deciding factor for you like it is for me, the quarterage was about $15 cheaper than the Holiday Inn Express.Hey everyone,
I am interviewing April 20th and was just wondering if anyone else is too. Also, has anyone stayed at the holiday inn express or the quarterage (the hotels they recommend)??
Accepted!!!! Interviewed 3/16
Yay! I interviewed 3/16 and was accepted too!
Yay! I interviewed 3/16 and was accepted too!
Congrats!!!! It is a great feeling is it...👍
So, today I took ya'll's advice (yes, I'm Texan) and mustered the courage to call the admissions office. Unfortunately, I called when the office was closed due to a school event that day until 4 pm. Poo that. So I went to watch How to Train Your Dragon in 3D...which went way past their closing time. Oh well, I thought, I'll call next week. Come home and BAM! Big ol' envelope from KCUMB. Ha...ha! "Congratulations...please send a $2000 deposit by April 13th...non-refundable for any reason." Why of course, I will do that. There goes about one month's worth of work. 😀
Interviewed 3/16
ACCEPTED!!!
P.S. Has anyone actually been rejected by KCUMB?
Interviewed 3/16
ACCEPTED!!!
P.S. Has anyone actually been rejected by KCUMB?
So, today I took ya'll's advice (yes, I'm Texan) and mustered the courage to call the admissions office. Unfortunately, I called when the office was closed due to a school event that day until 4 pm. Poo that. So I went to watch How to Train Your Dragon in 3D...which went way past their closing time. Oh well, I thought, I'll call next week. Come home and BAM! Big ol' envelope from KCUMB. Ha...ha! "Congratulations...please send a $2000 deposit by April 13th...non-refundable for any reason." Why of course, I will do that. There goes about one month's worth of work. 😀
Interviewed 3/16
ACCEPTED!!!
P.S. Has anyone actually been rejected by KCUMB?
I don't think they reject many people, its a private school that has to make money. I got an interview without even doing a secondary, I turned it in when I interviewed and everyone else I talked to my day was pretty much in the same boat. I have talked to many people who applied here and they all got in. Don't know what the means per-say. What do you guys think about the lawsuits between the school and the past President of the school?
They screen heavily before even offering the interview. If they like how you look on paper they bring you in to make sure you're a normal human being, and if so they offer you a spot. It's kind of nice, not like most schools who want you to spend a ton of money to come interview them and then only take 15-25% of the interviewees, whereas I talked to one of the Admissions people at KCUMB and she said that they offer to ~85% of the interviewees.
Interviewed 3/16
ACCEPTED!!!
P.S. Has anyone actually been rejected by KCUMB?[/QUOTE]
Leave it to a "Texan" to ask a question like this. lol... Just kidding. I have seen some people from this thread who have not been accepted. It does happen; however, I heard they try and only invite people who they really like on paper.
ACCEPTED!!!
P.S. Has anyone actually been rejected by KCUMB?[/QUOTE]
Leave it to a "Texan" to ask a question like this. lol... Just kidding. I have seen some people from this thread who have not been accepted. It does happen; however, I heard they try and only invite people who they really like on paper.
Last edited:
This link will take you to the story on the X prez of KCUMB. Sounds like she was a crook like most lawyers. Read for yourself. 😡
http://voices.kansascity.com/node/8239
http://www.fox4kc.com/news/wdaf-story-kcumb-lawsuit-032210,0,2412183.story
http://voices.kansascity.com/node/8239
http://www.fox4kc.com/news/wdaf-story-kcumb-lawsuit-032210,0,2412183.story
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Man...that article does not bode well for the school. I realized there was an issue with the funding and former president before, but nothing quite to this extent. I chose to attend KCUMB out of three other possible schools, and I hope this does not affect the schools reputation.
Man...that article does not bode well for the school. I realized there was an issue with the funding and former president before, but nothing quite to this extent. I chose to attend KCUMB out of three other possible schools, and I hope this does not affect the schools reputation.
After reading all the links, I can't see how the school itself will be damaged that much by some individuals (who have all been fired) that embezzled money for their own gain. Residency programs seem to judge the individual more than their school anyway. If anything the school and her will reach a settlement and the whole thing goes away in a couple of years or so. It would be nice if they could get some of the money back and put it back into the school or lower tuition...lol. I guess that is what I wonder the most about this whole thing is how much money has been wasted of the students who are paying high tuition. Of course KCOM tuition is about the same. Maybe money is getting thrown around at all the schools?
How ironic was that...I was reading up on this issue because one of the students did mention something about it. I was going to ask everyone's opinion. Since money was being "thrown around" does it affect the quality of the education, facilities, etc.? Could KCUMB have been more expansive if it still had those millions of dollars embezzled? I wish tuition was lower. What if it was high because the former president wanted it high to support her lavish lifestyle? *rubs chin* Maybe they can lower tuition by $5000 to $10000?! 😀 That would be nice.
Anyways, anybody planning to definitely go to KCUMB? I don't really like the Century Tower apartments...kind of dark and smelly...don't forget creepy. Old hospital anyone? So is anyone planning to rent apartments around the area? Which ones are the best between $500 - $700? How is the Jazz District? I haven't seen it.
Anyways, anybody planning to definitely go to KCUMB? I don't really like the Century Tower apartments...kind of dark and smelly...don't forget creepy. Old hospital anyone? So is anyone planning to rent apartments around the area? Which ones are the best between $500 - $700? How is the Jazz District? I haven't seen it.
How ironic was that...I was reading up on this issue because one of the students did mention something about it. I was going to ask everyone's opinion. Since money was being "thrown around" does it affect the quality of the education, facilities, etc.? Could KCUMB have been more expansive if it still had those millions of dollars embezzled? I wish tuition was lower. What if it was high because the former president wanted it high to support her lavish lifestyle? *rubs chin* Maybe they can lower tuition by $5000 to $10000?! 😀 That would be nice.
Anyways, anybody planning to definitely go to KCUMB? I don't really like the Century Tower apartments...kind of dark and smelly...don't forget creepy. Old hospital anyone? So is anyone planning to rent apartments around the area? Which ones are the best between $500 - $700? How is the Jazz District? I haven't seen it.
Hey Texas! I am planning on attending. I like the way you think. They so need to lower tuition based on this non-sense. I need to start looking for a place as well. If you join the facebook for KCUMB 2014 group they are talking about other places outside of "Stinky" Death Tower. lol...If you find a cool place let me know.
Hey, guys! I interviewed back in October and was accepted, but haven't been on SDN in quite a while! So what is going on these days? Does anyone know how full the class is yet?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 21K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 40K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 65K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 69K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 49K
