KCUMB Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know this is one of the problems people have to deal with in almost every DO school. My question is where are you going to be for your core sites? Also, what were your top three choices because from people I spoke with at five other DO schools, they tell of similar stories. Does the school have a way of knowing which sites are the most popular etc? Seeing that this is a general problem with most osteopathic medical schools, what do you suggest is the best way to rank the sites so that I am guaranteed at least one of them?

We do a mock match before the real one get an idea how full the sites are, but they won't tell us how many spots each site actually has. All we get out of the mock match is if the site it open, full, or overfull (and how overfull). So for example, KC was 12 overfull, St Louis was 1 over. The idea being you keep your your 1st, but change 2nd and 3rd to open spots so have best chance of matching. However, it ended up being pointless considering most of us put open spots and still went unmatched. I've also heard people put all full spots and ended up matching. So as for a best way of ranking, there is none. You can follow their suggestions and still end up getting screwed. If your are considering going back to St. Louis, there were 5 spots this year at Des Peres, but that can change from year to year.

Members don't see this ad.

Does KCUMB send an email out informing you that your application is complete? I should have been complete for a couple weeks now. How long did it take everybody to hear?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does KCUMB send an email out informing you that your application is complete? I should have been complete for a couple weeks now. How long did it take everybody to hear?

I contacted them and asked my status.

I contacted them and asked my status.
Just contacted them myself for an update....not going to offer you an interview at this time :thumbdown: No worries, I do not have the money to interview at all the schools I applied to, anyway. Good luck to everyone else in the application process.

Just contacted them myself for an update....not going to offer you an interview at this time :thumbdown: No worries, I do not have the money to interview at all the schools I applied to, anyway. Good luck to everyone else in the application process.

Did you call or email?

Did you call or email?
Called, my stats were above average for the school, but I think my PS and secondary empathized my drive toward practicing around my state/surrounding states. The lady was neutral, but she seemed overworked - I will email all my schools for an update on status from now on. Calling puts them on the spot IMO. Good luck to everyone in the application process

Called, my stats were above average for the school, but I think my PS and secondary empathized my drive toward practicing around my state/surrounding states. The lady was neutral, but she seemed overworked - I will email all my schools for an update on status from now on. Calling puts them on the spot IMO. Good luck to everyone in the application process

I would prefer emailing, but I didn't see an address listed.

It took about a month from my secondary admission to interview invite.

Does anyone know anything about the president being fired..... I heard she wanted to create a D.O.-M.D. degree and the committee canned her, but that could be all speculation

Just called the admissions office to check the status of my application and got the ol' "The admissions committee has reviewed your file and has declined to offer you an interview," line. C'est la vie.

Hey everyone-

I just got an interview invite today for February 10th, but I haven't turned my secondary in yet. Has anyone else gotten this? I'm confused, as I don't think my application is AMAZING. It's all right, don't get me wrong. It just kind of came as a surprise...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone-

I just got an interview invite today for February 10th, but I haven't turned my secondary in yet. Has anyone else gotten this? I'm confused, as I don't think my application is AMAZING. It's all right, don't get me wrong. It just kind of came as a surprise...

Some people are called "fast tracked" you still have to complete a secondary but you have something in ur primary that has made good enough for an interview

Just called the admissions office to check the status of my application and got the ol' "The admissions committee has reviewed your file and has declined to offer you an interview," line. C'est la vie.

Yeah same here!:( oh well...thanks for your posting , it prompted me to follow up and call admissions on my app today. I mailed my Seconadry 12/28 so they decided pretty fast:(

Still waiting from other schools. No interviews yet. I know I applied late so lets see what happens.

Good Luck with all your other applications:)

Yeah same here!:( oh well...thanks for your posting , it prompted me to follow up and call admissions on my app today. I mailed my Seconadry 12/28 so they decided pretty fast:(

Still waiting from other schools. No interviews yet. I know I applied late so lets see what happens.

Good Luck with all your other applications:)

There is hope! I called a few days after my initial post and asked them what was up. They said that they are re-reviewing all of the old apps and will be making more interview offers in the near future. Good luck!

Did anyone have a hard time opening the supplemental application and packet that were given to you in the email invitation? I can't seem to get it to work. Does anyone have better ways of going about it?
Dave

Did anyone have a hard time opening the supplemental application and packet that were given to you in the email invitation? I can't seem to get it to work. Does anyone have better ways of going about it?
Dave
I had no problems opening them after download. Maybe call the school and ask them to resend the files. Also, make sure you have the latest version of Adobe.

There is hope! I called a few days after my initial post and asked them what was up. They said that they are re-reviewing all of the old apps and will be making more interview offers in the near future. Good luck!

Thanks! I havn't received a formal rejection yet...so maybe there is still hope. My stats arn't very good thou so I guess I wasnt really surprised :( Just hoping my seconday responses and persoanl statement speaks to them! :)

Where has everyone been staying? I'm going to get a hotel...preferably cheap, and SOMEWHAT near campus (though I will have my own car). Any suggestions?

Where has everyone been staying? I'm going to get a hotel...preferably cheap, and SOMEWHAT near campus (though I will have my own car). Any suggestions?

Just avoid the ones right next to the school. If you stay at one of the places the school recommends and take the shuttle they tend to put you at the top of the interview list and get you out of there sooner.

Hey guys, pretty dumb question here...

Where do I mail my secondary to? I'm assuming just the address that is on the secondary?

Kansas City University of Medicine & Biosciences
Office of Admissions (is this too vague, do i need to say like "office of osteopathic admissions" or what?)
1750 independence ave blahblahblah

I've never heard of schools offering interviews pre-secondary. That would be sweet to get one of these.

My AACOMAS cleared on Dec 31st. so if I haven't gotten on yet, i doubt i will. I hope I'm competitive. I had a 3.0 undergrad GPA from a top 25 university but then I had a 4.0 in post-bac science work and a 32 MCAT.

Does anyone know when the new student center and library are expected to be completed? and btw sean you're in, as my MCAT was lower and I did not do a post bac program.

I'm interviewing on the 10th too, yea! I don't know where the good places to stay are, I have friends who live in KC so I am staying with them, a few miles from the hospital. I heard it is kind of a confusing city to drive around in, have you been there before? I am planning on renting a car, so hopefully it won't be too bad.

Does anyone know when the new student center and library are expected to be completed? and btw sean you're in, as my MCAT was lower and I did not do a post bac program.

I think they're saying 18 months, so 2 years.

I stayed at the "Q" hotel and spa through the special pricing they offer for KCUMB interviewees. Very nice hotel and only 10-15 minutes from university in a good area. It was very close to some great restaurants in the plaza area.

I was also interviewed based solely on my AACOMAS app. and just brought their secondary with me and gave it to the admission office the day prior to my interview. You're going to love the school and the interview is very laid back. Be honest to yourself and you'll do fine.

Good luck to all those interviewing and God bless!

I turned in my primary the 31st and heard about an interview today. Gotta get going on finishing up that secondary. Anyone else interviewing in February?

I turned in my primary the 31st and heard about an interview today. Gotta get going on finishing up that secondary. Anyone else interviewing in February?

Yes, I received an interview invite today. Haven't done the secondary, but I feel very grateful to have an interview for February!

Yes, I received an interview invite today. Haven't done the secondary, but I feel very grateful to have an interview for February!

Me too! I am excited! I will be seeing you there!

Did you find out about the interviews via email, phone or letter?

Did you find out about the interviews via email, phone or letter?

Interview: Email
Acceptance: Letter (Acceptance letter comes in a small envelope, so don't put off opening it because you think it's a rejection :))

Anyone know the average MCAT and GPA required for KCUMB? Any difference from international students.

Thanks

Does anyone know if KCUMB is the only DO school that fast tracks interviews of some qualified students, and if not who else does?

Is anyone else on the alternate list-post interview?

Does anyone know if KCUMB is the only DO school that fast tracks interviews of some qualified students, and if not who else does?

I just received an email from WVSOM the other day and I hadn't even thought about their secondary, so apparently they fast-track as well. I would imagine there are more, but I don't know personally.

How long after the interview do we find out? I was told that I should have a letter by today, but i still don't...

"no interview at this time" was in the rejection email. One sentence. Very short and to the point. I don't think I would of wanted to go here anyways. Even though 1) my letter of DO reference was a from an alumni that has a TV show and 2) I work at the CDC 3) I have over 1000 hours of humanitarian aid volunteer hours

mcat 21Q(7,7,7) 3.25 gpa

5 more schools left...

anyone else get the "not offering you an interview at this time, but your not rejected" but then got invited for an interview for their post-bacc program?

"no interview at this time" was in the rejection email. One sentence. Very short and to the point. I don't think I would of wanted to go here anyways. Even though 1) my letter of DO reference was a from an alumni that has a TV show and 2) I work at the CDC 3) I have over 1000 hours of humanitarian aid volunteer hours

mcat 21Q(7,7,7) 3.25 gpa

5 more schools left...

Sorry to hear that. I applied with the same MCAT last year and didn't get in anywhere. If you don't get in anywhere, study hard and retake, since the rest of your app sounds good enough for most DO schools. I bumped my MCAT up to a 30P this year and received multiple acceptances and withdrew most of my apps so definitely do not give up hope.

anyone else get the "not offering you an interview at this time, but your not rejected" but then got invited for an interview for their post-bacc program?

It hasn't happened to me, but I have read it on some other thread, a search might be of better assistance. It definitely isn't uncommon, since on their website they give the class profile for their other post-bacc programs and their stats are slightly below the averages of matriculants to DO program. It's an opportunity to prove you can handle the rigors of post-bacc classes and gives you a "back door" into the DO program next year. Good luck.

I am currently doing post-bacc program. It is a back door into the COM program. I think it has some advantages, although it would be nice to start immediately...I understand your pain.

I am currently doing post-bacc program. It is a back door into the COM program. I think it has some advantages, although it would be nice to start immediately...I understand your pain.

I too just received an interview invitation to the post-bacc. Can you tell me how you like the program and if there is a minimum MCAT necessary to have a guaranteed seat for the following year?

Interviewing March 4. Anyone else?

Hi,
I can't recover my email with the secondary app and I can't find it online. I have an interview here Tuesday and I need to mail them the secd. beforehand.

Can someone either give me the link or post the questions so I can begin working on them.

....yes, i did email KCUMB, but that doesn't help me tonight.

Thanks