KCUMB Discussion Thread 2010-2011

Started by ShyRem
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
DMU is an amazing school. I interviewed there late in the season last year and ended up on the waitlist, but it's definitely at the top of my list for this year.

I found the Holiday Inn Express on Hotwire for $65 for 10/6-10/7. If anyone is interested in possibly splitting a shuttle from/to airport...let me know. I think it's $18 each way to/from hotel.

Which Holiday Inn Express did you book? I tried to look them up and found about 5 in KC and 2 or 3 that seemed close enough to be the one that KCUMB shuttles in from. Or do they shuttle from multiple HIE's?
 
I believe it's the westport plaza one. It was this one last year and the year before, as per people posting on here, and I assume they wouldn't change it. I tried to contact admissions but it was too late.
 
I believe it's the westport plaza one. It was this one last year and the year before, as per people posting on here, and I assume they wouldn't change it. I tried to contact admissions but it was too late.


Thanks! I just didn't want to inadvertently book the wrong hotel. I could just see myself waiting for my ride... and waiting... and waiting... haha.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Seems like most of you are going the hotel route? I just got the confirmation papers in the regular mail today. There is an option to stay with a current student, is anyone doing that? I was thinking I may just stay at one of the hotels with shuttle service. For those of you interviewing on 10/4, where are you staying? It may be nice to stay in the same place.
 
Seems like most of you are going the hotel route? I just got the confirmation papers in the regular mail today. There is an option to stay with a current student, is anyone doing that? I was thinking I may just stay at one of the hotels with shuttle service. For those of you interviewing on 10/4, where are you staying? It may be nice to stay in the same place.

The holiday inn at westport is nice...thats the one w/ the shuttle. Its nice because you can be lazy. Only down side is you need to arrange a ride back. Because depending on when your interview is, if you have an earlier one, you have to wait around till everyone is done, because the shuttle only leaves once i think very later in the day...you could just take a taxi or something
 
Does anyone know if it's possible to submit LOR's via Interfolio for this school? I saw on their website that they don't accept letters from LOR service companies, but I was just wondering if there was a way around it?
 
Does anyone know if it's possible to submit LOR's via Interfolio for this school? I saw on their website that they don't accept letters from LOR service companies, but I was just wondering if there was a way around it?


I sent mine via Interfolio. It worked just fine.
 
Hey doods. I'll be joining in from time to time. Just waiting on my transcript to get to AACOMAS and then the processing will begin.

I have a 3.5 cGPA and 3.47 sGPA and 26O MCAT. I just saw that their average gpa is now up to 3.6 and average MCAT up to a 27. Seeing how it is now mid-cycle, do you guys think I still have a good shot? This is my second choice school (CCOM is just a couple hours away where as KCUMB is about 8 hours away).
 
Didn't even get a secondary because my GPA was slightly under 3.00. Guess they are pretty strict about that stuff, regardless of anything else on your application.
 
Hey doods. I'll be joining in from time to time. Just waiting on my transcript to get to AACOMAS and then the processing will begin.

I have a 3.5 cGPA and 3.47 sGPA and 26O MCAT. I just saw that their average gpa is now up to 3.6 and average MCAT up to a 27. Seeing how it is now mid-cycle, do you guys think I still have a good shot? This is my second choice school (CCOM is just a couple hours away where as KCUMB is about 8 hours away).
you are likely to get an interview from them.
 
Ah, I'm so bummed. My friend in Kansas City lives only 15 min away but he's a resident and has to be at work by 7am. There is no way I'm going to be two hours early for the interview...sigh, it would have been nice to save 85 bucks.
 
Just got a letter in the mail saying that they will not be sending me an interview invite. Bummer.

Sorry to hear that, Peachy. 🙁

Ah, I'm so bummed. My friend in Kansas City lives only 15 min away but he's a resident and has to be at work by 7am. There is no way I'm going to be two hours early for the interview...sigh, it would have been nice to save 85 bucks.

For the ride? You can still stay with him and just get a ride that day, which I can't imagine would be $85 for a cab. If it is $85, you might as well get your own hotel room that will give you a shuttle to KCUMB. It's probably about the same price and that way you can just meet up with your buddy the night before.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For the ride? You can still stay with him and just get a ride that day, which I can't imagine would be $85 for a cab. If it is $85, you might as well get your own hotel room that will give you a shuttle to KCUMB. It's probably about the same price and that way you can just meet up with your buddy the night before.

Haha, an 85 dollar ride would be ridiculous! lol, i was referring to money I would save in not needing to book a hotel room if I stayed with him. But since he has to be at work so early the day of my interview, i'm just going to book the hotel. At least I have a ride to and from the airport 🙂
 
I can't find the LOR requirements. Is it just those forms on the website or do they accept actual letters?
 
I can't find the LOR requirements. Is it just those forms on the website or do they accept actual letters?

From their website

Step 3: Submit letters of recommendation KCUMB's College of Osteopathic Medicine requires three letters of recommendation/evaluation to be submitted as part of the secondary application. Applicants must submit one from EACH of the following sources:

  • A physician (preferably an Osteopathic physician)
  • A science faculty member who is familiar with the applicant's academic work
  • A premedical source
    This could be an advisor's letter, a composite evaluation or evaluations from a committee. If a premed source is not available, another science faculty, in addition to the above, or an employer's letter may be substituted. (Letters of evaluation submitted by recommendation services companies are not acceptable to meet the evaluation requirements.)
 
My AACOMAS was complete in early July and I received my interview invite 9/2. My interview date is 10/7 but I still have not received my packet via snail mail 😕

I'm OOS with a 3.7cGPA, 3.4sGPA, and 26 MCAT. Very excited to be interviewing at this school!
 
My AACOMAS was complete in early July and I received my interview invite 9/2. My interview date is 10/7 but I still have not received my packet via snail mail 😕

I'm OOS with a 3.7cGPA, 3.4sGPA, and 26 MCAT. Very excited to be interviewing at this school!

Thanks fors haring info and all the best.
 
Anyone have an idea how long it took from the time you mailed your transcript until the time they received it? Its been 8 days for me and I'm getting a little antsy as I want to get this in asap and be as competitive as possible.
 
Last edited:
Also interviewing on 10/7 and probably staying at the Holiday Inn Express. Although I wrote that I was interested in staying with a student so if that works out, I may cancel the hotel. Pretty excited to see this school, although it seems like it will be a pretty big group. Anyone interviewed yet this year?

Also, I got my packet a few days after my invite so I would call the office if it hasn't reached you yet.
 
Also interviewing on 10/7 and probably staying at the Holiday Inn Express. Although I wrote that I was interested in staying with a student so if that works out, I may cancel the hotel. Pretty excited to see this school, although it seems like it will be a pretty big group. Anyone interviewed yet this year?

Also, I got my packet a few days after my invite so I would call the office if it hasn't reached you yet.

What packet? In the mail?
 
Seems like everyone's going to be there on the 7th. Anyone schedule for the 4th? That's when I'll be there, at the holiday inn 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So this might be a somewhat silly question, but what exactly does the Genesis Curriculum entail? Looking around their site I could only find that it was started in 2000 and it is a more patient centered approach. From what I've gathered from googling is that it somehow incorporates care/therapy while learning the physiological processes, or something to that that extent. Thanks!
 
Can you tell me what was in it? I never got one and I got my invite a while ago.

I don't know, man. I didn't get mine either, but they I believe it was just the confirmation sheet that they emailed after the initial invite. If you don't receive it by Monday I would give them a call and see what the deal is.
 
the interview packet has the confirmation sheet in it, as well as some information about hotels, airport info, a congratulations/basic info letter, map/directions, and a brochure that has a little more info about the school - although nothing major. you aren't missing anything that you couldn't find on your own but it still might be a good idea to give them a call and have them send another one out to you.
 
Well, I'm stuck. I have to turn in this confirmation sheet (gonna email it) by Monday but I still haven't received the packet yet. So I'm going into booking my hotel pretty blind in terms of options. I guess I'll just go with the Holiday Inn like everyone else is and be safe. Maybe I'll bump Chingy up in my room the night before and make the most of it..
 
Well, I'm stuck. I have to turn in this confirmation sheet (gonna email it) by Monday but I still haven't received the packet yet. So I'm going into booking my hotel pretty blind in terms of options. I guess I'll just go with the Holiday Inn like everyone else is and be safe. Maybe I'll bump Chingy up in my room the night before and make the most of it..


It's funny because I never got the confirmation attachment in my interview invite e-mail, but got the packet in regular mail. I think you said you'd be there on the 4th too, if I am not mistaken. Maybe I'll see you at the Holiday Inn, or on the shuttle, if you're not renting a car. You may be hard to miss if Chingy's gonna be tagging along. lol
 
REJECTED! Post-secondary. Interview not even offered.
D.O. minimum criteria must be WAY UP this year!
GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE ELSE!
 
Last edited:
I'm interviewing on 10/7. I have a slightly below average mcat, above average gpa, pretty decent EC's. I'm from Massachusetts...so they're not overly regionally biased, not to say they arn't though.
 
I'm interviewing on 10/7. I have a slightly below average mcat, above average gpa, pretty decent EC's. I'm from Massachusetts...so they're not overly regionally biased, not to say they arn't though.
what is average MCAT and GPA ?
 
what is average MCAT and GPA ?

I was thinking ~27 and 3.5 which is about the norm for DO schools. I didn't look up KCUMB's actual stats...numbers aren't everything though... all I care about is the fact that I got an interview.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did anyone else get an invitation to complete the secondary Friday even though they were already complete, paid for, LOR's turned in etc etc...?
 
Hey guys, I just wanted to say hello.

I was in your spot a year ago and am now a first year at KCUMB! so if you have any questions for me, I'll do my best to check on here as often as I can. It's a great school, and I'm loving it so far. Good luck with your applications and interviews.
 
My primary was completed with my MCAT scores ten days ago and they are still telling me that they haven't received the scores yet. Other schools received them two Tuesdays ago but they keep saying they haven't. Not sure whats going on with them.
 
What day of the week does the adcom meet, does anyone know? tried calling them and asking and got the answer that whenever they like. just curious cuz I haven't heard anything from them in a month now.