-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
KCUMB Discussion Thread 2010-2011
Started by ShyRem
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
i just got this. How much is the secondary fee?
$50
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah I noticed that too. From what I've heard, they'll still offer interviews and then issue an acceptance pending you take the course.
I have a class that had genetics in it, but it wasn't a class devoted to genetics. It has genes in the course name on my transcript so I hope it's enough, but I suppose I could always take a summer class next year if KCUMB works out.
I'll trade you one of the three different genetics courses I took in exchange for a Biochem course.
I'll trade you one of the three different genetics courses I took in exchange for a Biochem course.
I already have genetics how about a pych course. lol
I'll trade you one of the three different genetics courses I took in exchange for a Biochem course.
It's a deal...I have two so I can spare 1.
I actually looked for a summer genetics course out of curiosity. I'm from Massachusetts and you would think with all of the schools we have here I would find a few schools that offer one but the only school I could find that does is BU, at least this past summer they did. But if I do get an interview, accepted and choose to go here, I guess I could deal with it...haha
genetics is really interesting. If you take it, make sure you take the lab. It really helps things click and its just plain interesting. I ended up doing a year of brook trout genetics research after i took that class because i enjoyed the lab so much. The best lab however, was organic spectrometry, which i also recommend. But not everyone really wants to take an extra semester of organic.
I already have genetics how about a pych course. lol
DEAL! I have way too many psyc classes anyway.
It's a deal...I have two so I can spare 1.
I actually looked for a summer genetics course out of curiosity. I'm from Massachusetts and you would think with all of the schools we have here I would find a few schools that offer one but the only school I could find that does is BU, at least this past summer they did. But if I do get an interview, accepted and choose to go here, I guess I could deal with it...haha
Awesome, let's conference call the admissions office on Monday and let them know that we have worked this out.
genetics is really interesting. If you take it, make sure you take the lab. It really helps things click and its just plain interesting. I ended up doing a year of brook trout genetics research after i took that class because i enjoyed the lab so much. The best lab however, was organic spectrometry, which i also recommend. But not everyone really wants to take an extra semester of organic.
Agreed. Genetics is amazing. After I took genetics I volunteered in my professor's molecular genetics lab just because I loved it so much (and to get some wet lab science research under my belt to make sure I really did want to go into medicine and not just academic science).
@ VeeTeeHokies
I'm assuming you go to Virginia Tech. I'm in Lexington at Washington and Lee. We actually went up to your campus last summer to use your ABI sequencer for a few of our microsatilites. Our lab only has 2 color LiCor sequencer, which is still pretty sweet for a school of 1700 students. I really liked your campus and lab was wonderful. It was a lot bigger then ours. lol. Do they let you guys use that stuff in your basic genetics lab, or is it more for the grad students?
I'm assuming you go to Virginia Tech. I'm in Lexington at Washington and Lee. We actually went up to your campus last summer to use your ABI sequencer for a few of our microsatilites. Our lab only has 2 color LiCor sequencer, which is still pretty sweet for a school of 1700 students. I really liked your campus and lab was wonderful. It was a lot bigger then ours. lol. Do they let you guys use that stuff in your basic genetics lab, or is it more for the grad students?
@ VeeTeeHokies
I'm assuming you go to Virginia Tech. I'm in Lexington at Washington and Lee. We actually went up to your campus last summer to use your ABI sequencer for a few of our microsatilites. Our lab only has 2 color LiCor sequencer, which is still pretty sweet for a school of 1700 students. I really liked your campus and lab was wonderful. It was a lot bigger then ours. lol. Do they let you guys use that stuff in your basic genetics lab, or is it more for the grad students?
We rarely offer a genetics lab along with the lecture course. I think it has been done over a few summer courses, but not during the regular school year. I was actually working with the PhD students in the lab doing actual research and not just a lab component to a class. I never personally used the sequencers but had anything come up in which we needed to use them undergrads would have been allowed. And yeah I'm assuming you were at the corporate research center, probably in the Integrative Life Sciences Building (ILSB) since that is where we house most of our superbly awesome equipment. The place is nice and the labs are immaculate, and lots of realllllllly cool equipment haha.
To anyone curious, I just called them up to ask about my status and they said they will begin reviewing the applications later this week or early next week.
Good to know. Thanks.
+1
thanks for the update!
thanks for the update!
I have not received the secondary invite from KCUMB.I guess they rejected me pre-secondary? 🙁
What are your stats? The only way that you wouldn't get a secondary from them is if you don't meet their minimums. I remember reading somewhere that you need a 3.0 minimum gpa (not sure if that is science or cum.) and you probably need a minimum MCAT score as well. You also need a genetics class.
Those are the only reasons why I could see you not getting a secondary, I would call and ask why you haven't received a secondary. It can't hurt.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Completely agree. Brooke in the admissions office is extremely helpful and also very nice.What are your stats? The only way that you wouldn't get a secondary from them is if you don't meet their minimums. I remember reading somewhere that you need a 3.0 minimum gpa (not sure if that is science or cum.) and you probably need a minimum MCAT score as well. You also need a genetics class.
Those are the only reasons why I could see you not getting a secondary, I would call and ask why you haven't received a secondary. It can't hurt.
What are your stats? The only way that you wouldn't get a secondary from them is if you don't meet their minimums. I remember reading somewhere that you need a 3.0 minimum gpa (not sure if that is science or cum.) and you probably need a minimum MCAT score as well. You also need a genetics class.
Those are the only reasons why I could see you not getting a secondary, I would call and ask why you haven't received a secondary. It can't hurt.
I just called them. The nice lady answering the phone said they have not gotten to my AACOMAS application yet and that I will receive the secondary in a week or two. 😉
i want to withdraw from this school (don't meet the genetics requirement). how do you withdraw?
As far as I have heard, you can still get an interview and acceptance without the genetics requirement...it will just be conditional, meaning you'll have to take it before you matriculate, ie. next spring or a summer class.
But if you want to withdraw, just call/email the admissions office and tell them, it's pretty simple. They may need it in writing, so you may have to fax them something too.
hmmm...nobodies posted anything on here yet.
Do they send a "your file is complete email?"
No they didn't send me anything. I called to check.
Not seen any one invited from SDNhey guys, I just spoke to the admission office, they said they already invited people for 3 interview days 😱😱. Anyone heard anything yet?
all the bestInterview invite for 10/7!!
I guess they were talking about today!🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interview invite for 10/07! Unfortunately, that's the same day as my NSU one. They have 10/04 and 10/22 as interview days as well but I have AZCOM on 10/20....ugh, I need to figure out what to do.
Interview invite for 10/07 too! Not sure if I can make that date though... but I will see tomorrow. Super excited though!
I want to schedule my interview for 10/4, but I feel like I'm going to be so drained with interview after interview after interview. How have some of you with multiple interviews very close to each other prepared for them? It was working out nicely for me (about 1 interview a week starting 9/20) until KCUMB's invite today, it's throwing me off! Lol
Oh, also - what is one (or a few) things about KCUMB that makes it on the top of your list of schools?
Oh, also - what is one (or a few) things about KCUMB that makes it on the top of your list of schools?
I'm going to have DMU on Monday 10/4 then will be flying back home and working Tues and Wed and then flying out Wednesday night to Kansas City for my 10/7 interview on Thursday and flying back Thursday and working on Friday...hopefully. Looking at expedia I should be able to pull it off with flight times. I wish KCUMB had an interview date on 10/5 because then I would just drive down from Des Moines...it's going to be a busy week. Plus I have an interview the Thursday(9/30) before at UNE, but that's only a two hour drive from my house (Central MA)...but yeah...I have three interviews in a week period so...it's probably going to be pretty draining, but at the same time I like the idea of getting them over with as soon as possible. DMU and KCUMB are at the top of my list so if I get into one of them before thanksgiving, my year off is going to be sweeeeeeet!
invite for 10/4 woot woot 😀... but I'm going to try and switch to 10/7 tomorrow so if anyone wants my day try calling around noon tomorrow.
I got one too! For October 4. So excited, this is one of my favorite DO schools and KC is such an awesome town. Hectic schedule now though! Glad I get a few interviews in before this one.
Anyone have any luck with trying to reschedule, I called but couldn't get a hold of anyone.
Anyone have any luck with trying to reschedule, I called but couldn't get a hold of anyone.
Did you receive the interview invite via e-mail? If so, you can try replying to the person. For me it was an admissions counselor. I already have an interview on 10/7 so I just lether know and she told me the other available dates and put me down for 10/4 instead.
Congrats to all on your invites! Would any of you mind sharing your stats?
Fox and I swapped dates. I'm down for the 4th now. Excited to make this trip, I like big city schools.
Last edited:
Congrats to all on your invites! Would any of you mind sharing your stats?
3.34 cGPA, 3.28 sGPA, 3.51 non-sGPA double science degree, Microbio & Research + Chem minor; 28 MCAT, 11PS, 7VR, 10BS; 4 publications (though no first author, yet); A LOT of EC stuff, spanish language fluency...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am also curious....was the invite by phone or email???🙂
Congrats to those of you so far that have received interviews!!!👍
Mine was by email.
I'm also interviewing 10/4. They emailed me telling me to mark my calendar with details to come via snail mail. They also attached in the email a confirmation sheet that is to be snail mailed to them. @tman1820, you will LOVE DMU. I just got back from an interview there yesterday. Good luck everyone!
I'm also interviewing 10/4. They emailed me telling me to mark my calendar with details to come via snail mail. They also attached in the email a confirmation sheet that is to be snail mailed to them. @tman1820, you will LOVE DMU. I just got back from an interview there yesterday. Good luck everyone!
DMU is an amazing school. I interviewed there late in the season last year and ended up on the waitlist, but it's definitely at the top of my list for this year.
I found the Holiday Inn Express on Hotwire for $65 for 10/6-10/7. If anyone is interested in possibly splitting a shuttle from/to airport...let me know. I think it's $18 each way to/from hotel.
Last edited:
Hey everyone, i'm jason. i'm a MSI here at kcumb. If you have any general questions about anything, feel free to shot me an email at [email protected] . We are just getting ready to take our final exam next week for FOM so its getting very hectic around here. Hope to see all of you guys and girls soon!!!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 21K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 40K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 65K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 69K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 49K
I guess they rejected me pre-secondary?